Status: Active :)

Silent Love

Things Will Change

Ruthie Myers was cooking dinner for her daughters. She was spending all her time in her home, cleaning and cooking to occupy her mind. And when she paused, all her thoughts went to her absent husband. She rarely saw him – he got home late evening and left early morning. She had asked him numerous times what was going on.

The first time she asked Michael what was happening was one week after he had started coming home late looking stressed out.
“Nothing.” had been his answer before he went straight to bed.

After the second week she’d asked him to take a sick leave, to calm down and regain strength.
“It’s not my damn job,” he’d snapped at her.

Ruthie cried herself to sleep next to the man she’d been married to for nineteen years desperately scared, not knowing what to do. She was a minister but hadn’t been working since Mandy became famous. She was dependent on her husband.

“Are you having an affair, Michael?” she’d asked him the night before.
He had gotten out of bed without looking at her or answering her. He’d gotten dressed and left the house in the middle of the night.

~~~

“Mom, we’re here!” Amelia called out as she walked through the front door.
They walked into the kitchen and found their mother just about to set the table for three.
“Dad is not home?” Mandy asked with raised eyebrows.
“Something came up at work,” Ruthie lied and placed the food on the table.

Amelia’s face fell. “It’s Saturday, mom, why does he have to work on a Saturday?”
“You know your father’s work is important, Aimee.”
“Fine,” She crossed her arms and sat down on her place. “When is he coming home?”
“Stop it Aimee, let’s just eat,” Mandy said when she saw her mother’s uneasy face.

“I haven’t seen dad in days!” Aimee yelled.
“I know sweetie,” Ruthie brushed her hand over Amelia’s hair. “He’s busy.”
“Yeah,” she muttered under her breath. “Busy screwing hookers.”
Mandy gasped. “Amelia! Shut up.”
Ruthie took a deep breath and helped herself with the dinner. “Let’s just eat.”

Amelia was ashamed of herself, but she was also tired of them all just beating around the bush. The room was silent as they ate and they did the dishes in silence as well.
“Let’s put on a movie,” Mandy suggested.

~~~

They were half way through ‘Father of the Bride – laughing together because of Steve Martin’s silliness – when someone opened the front door and entered the house.

They all went quiet as they waited to see who it was, but no one came.
“Michael, is it you?” Ruthie called.
Ruffling sounds were heard before Michael walked into the living room.
“Dad!” Amelia exclaimed and ran to hug him.
“Aimee,” he smiled and kissed the top of her head.

“What are you doing home?” Ruthie asked him.
Michael sighed. “I have to tell you all something. And please don’t freak out before I’m finished.”

A young woman with short wavy hair and dark brown eyes stepped into the room and stopped next to their father.

“This is Hayleigh,” He said and put a hand on the woman’s shoulder, she smiled at them. Michael was about to continue when he heard Amelia gasp.
“YOU!” She screamed at him and hit his chest. “Why do you bring her home? You slut!” She spat at the young woman.

Mandy pulled Amelia back with tear filled eyes. Ruthie sat paralyzed in the sofa.
“Maybe this wasn’t such a great idea,” Hayleigh said and stepped backwards.
“Wait!” Michael raised his voice. “Wait, please let me explain,” he looked at his family.
“I don’t think there is any explanation that will fix this,” Mandy wrapped her arms around both her sister and her silent mother.

“Yes there is. This is Hayleigh Andrews. She is twenty-one years old and lives in Hoquiam. And she is my daughter.”

The room was completely silent as the three of them let the new information sink in. Mandy stared closer at Hayleigh and saw her own father in her dark eyes and the nose and the wavy hair.

Ruthie got to her feet and stared at her husband for a long second before she turned to Mandy again. “Can I stay at your house this night, Amanda?”
Mandy nodded. “Of course, but shouldn’t we talk about this first.”
“If I say anything to him now, I may regret it later.”
“Ruthie,” Michael took a hold of her arm as she passed him. “Things will change now.”

~~~

Mandy and Amelia had been lying on each side of their mother in Mandy’s bed as she cried herself to sleep and damned their father. Amelia had been crying as well – out of relief. Mandy had been silent, lost in thought.

Mandy tucked Amelia into bed and kissed her forehead.
“Can you believe we got another sister?” Amelia asked with a smile. “That he hasn’t been cheating, that we will be all right, can you believe that, Amanda?”
Mandy smiled at her little sister. “Yes I can. We have each other, Aimee.”

“You are going over there, aren’t you?” Aimee sat up in bed when she saw Mandy’s absentminded face.
“I need to know more. I need to know why right now.”
“When are you coming back?”
Mandy smiled. “Later. Tell mom she a champion.”
♠ ♠ ♠
:)

Change - Taylor Swift

Thanks for the comments!
BSMSGIRL08
Cutie 0.0 Cucumber

~ BreeVixen