I'm Addicted to the Thrill

Quit While You're Ahead

---
Patrick’s POV
I walked into the bar the day after the Nashville game. I wondered if Dani cheered when I scored. I wanted her to have done it, but my gut was telling me that she had booed or complained about it to whoever she was on her date with. I shook the thoughts out of my head knowing that if I thought about Dani, I would just get fed up with her for some reason or I was going to snap.

I walked over to the guys once I saw them. The waitress brought me a beer as I joined the team. They knew that I wasn’t in a great mood, and they were expecting me to bounce back anytime. I looked at the guys as we sat at the group of tables. I wanted to walk back out and leave the team there. There was nothing in the bar that interested me. Girls winked and waved, but I was more interested in ignoring them.

“Good game, Pat!” clapped Jonny. He had Niki with him, and I almost asked her about Dani when she walked past me to go to the restroom. I laughed when he said that.

“Eh. It could’ve been better. It was only Nashville,” I smirked. I was used to the division rivalry now. It was great to know that there was something I could say to make it seem like everything was fine.

“You still did good,” said Hossa. I grinned. This was what I needed to cheer me up.

Jonny’s face dropped suddenly, and I could see Niki’s eyes widen at something behind me. I debated internally whether or not I should turn around to see, but Jonny came and led me away from what could be going on towards a different part of the bar. I knew that something was going on that I didn’t want to see.

“What the fuck. I liked where we were,” I snapped at Jonny once we stopped walking. I turned around and walked back to the table.

I looked back where they had been staring before I left and saw what I didn’t want to see: Dani and another guy. My jaw clenched just thinking about the two of them together, and I didn’t even know who the hell he was. Dani shouldn’t be with someone else. Before I could walk over there, Niki grabbed my arm and pulled me aside.

“Patrick T. Kane, you see her with another guy. Think about how she felt hearing you left a club with another girl. At least you knew about him,” she said. I sighed. It was true. I had done worse to her, but she almost was rubbing it in my face.

No, she wasn’t. He was rubbing it in my face. That douche that was with her. Taking her out wasn’t something that he had to do. He took her to my game. Now he brought her to my bar. I didn’t know who he was, but he was making an enemy that shouldn’t be made: me. I pulled my arm out of Niki’s grip and walked towards Dani and her date.
---

My jaw dropped when Patrick came over to Zach and I. He didn’t seem happy, and I wanted to just tell him to go away. Zach smiled and seemed to be so excited to be approached by a important hockey player.

“Dani, can you believe that Patrick Kane is walking our way?” said Zach as we watched him come closer. I laughed and nodded. He took my nervous laugh as a real one.

“Danielle! Great to see you. Is this your date?” asked Patrick. If he was going to be that way, fake and all, I was going to just leave. I saw Niki waving to get my, or maybe Patrick’s, attention. I waved at her and frowned.

“Yeah, Zach! You know Dani?” answered Zach as I opened my mouth.

Patrick pulled out one of the other chairs at the table taking a seat. I kicked him under the table hoping he would get the hint to leave. Niki and Jonny came over and joined us at the table. I smiled at them before I looked back at Patrick.

“I know them all from work,” I said motioning at our guests.

Patrick kicked me back under the table, and soon we just kept kicking one another. I felt like four year old again. This was not the most mature thing that I had ever done, but I was not in the mood to put up with Pat. I rolled my eyes at him, and Zach smiled at me. He seemed to be ecstatic that we were sitting with Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews. Those feelings were not reciprocated by me.

“Dani, can I talk to you?” asked Patrick.

I stood up and walked away from the group with him. He led me out back to the alley propping the door open to make sure we could still get back in that way. I faced him and crossed my arms not wanting to have to stand in the alley when I was supposed to be on my date. I glared at him wishing there was a way to take back coming to this bar. Then he kissed me.

“Patrick!” I pushed him away from me. “What the hell do you think you’re doing?”

“Did you feel anything?” he asked me. “You’re blushing.”

“I-I didn’t feel anything. I blush when I’m mad,” I snapped. He laughed.

Ever since I had moved to Chicago, my life was chaotic. I take a few days for it to calm only to have him come in and fuck everything back up. Patrick was stubborn, and I was getting fed up with his attitude. Some people made me want to tear my hair out.

I rolled my eyes and walked back inside closing the door behind me. It was locked, and I smirked knowing Patrick would have to walk all the way around to get back inside. The longer it took him to come back inside, the longer I had to get over that he kissed me again. I sat down at the table with the others looking at me like I was crazy. I smiled and took a sip of my water.

“Where’s Patrick?” asked Zach.

“He’s… coming,” I smirked. Niki and Jonny looked at each other than back at me. I shrugged waiting for Patrick to come back in. “Well, it was lovely seeing y’all here. Zach, maybe we should go somewhere else for dinner.”

He shrugged and said his goodbyes to the two. We walked out as Patrick was coming up the street towards the front of the bar. He did not look happy with me at all. My heart sank. This was not going to be as much fun as making him walk around had been. We didn’t leave soon enough.

"Danielle Halbrook, why for the love of God did you do that?" he yelled as he walked towards us. I gulped.