Status: Active

Taking Chances: Kayla's Chance

Kayla McLochland has lived on a Thoroughbred breeding and training farm since she was born but has never bonded with any of her father's in-training horses. But that all changes when her father's mare gives birth to a silver filly. Her father is approached by a neighboring stable with an amazing offer for the filly. He considers selling her in order to buy a colt, Centerfold, whom seems like a dud on the track. But he wouldn't be that stupid...would he?
  1. 1
    Intro...
  2. Chapter 2
    Meet Becky, Centerfold, and Mr. Rosery. They all become important later on in the story.
  3. Chapter 3
    More about Centerfold and meet Bo.
  4. Chapter 4
    Mr. Rosery's new proposition and Centerfold's preperation for his first race
  5. Chapter 5
    Well there went my summer trip to New York.
  6. Chapter 6
    "He's arrogant and stupid is what he is," I responded,"He thinks he can make Centerfold win riding 'his way'."
  7. Chapter 7
    Mik was the first to speak: “If only that counted.”
  8. Chapter 8
    “I’ll make you a deal Dad,” I said. “I’ll get my jockey’s license and race Centerfold in exchange for half ownership of Silver.”
  9. Chapter 9
    “Life’s too short to waste Kay,” Bo said softly. “Take it by the balls and go for it."
  10. Chapter 10
    I was opening my mouth to retort when Mr. Rosery exclaimed, “Bowen?”
  11. Chapter 11
    And what I’d been about to say, hell what we were even talking about, flew right out of my mind.
  12. Chapter 12
    But what if Centerfold lost? There was only one solution: he couldn’t.
  13. Chapter 13
    The only way I could explain what happened next was that Centerfold’s powerful hindquarters took too big a leap and his front end couldn’t keep up. He stumbled and I thought for sure that we were going down.
  14. Chapter 14
    Centerfold didn’t seem worried. Then again, the colt didn’t know how important his performance would be.
  15. Chapter 15
    Mik’s frown deepened. “I always liked Rosery Acers before. But I’ve been hearing some things lately that I don’t like.”
  16. Chapter 16
    “I’m getting a bad feeling. If they are trying to eliminate Off the Record’s competition, who’s running really well?” We both knew the answer.
  17. Chapter 17
    I heard a scream and looked up to see that Dingo had turned on me. I knew that if he decided to go after me, I didn’t’ have a chance in hell of getting away.
  18. Chapter 18
    Mik ran a hand through his hair. “They took a urine sample and it tested positive for etorphine.”
  19. Chapter 19
    Dingo tried to scramble to his feet, but the broken leg refused to support him.
  20. Chapter 20
    I regained my composure from the shock, but all I could call after him was, “did you say I was right?”
  21. Chapter 21
    I heard a loud snort and the sound of a hoof solidly hitting the wall. There was the muted sound of someone cursing, and then Centerfold’s stall creaked open.
  22. Chapter 22
    "We go to the press, tell them one hell of a story about one of racing’s most influential figures, and turn them loose.”
  23. Chapter 23
    “I hope you realize the can of worms you’ve opened,” Mik said.
  24. Chapter 24
    We were in the stall that backed up against Centerfold’s. Until now, all had been quiet. But suddenly, he snorted and moved quickly.
  25. Chapter 25
    Only the launch forward I had expected didn’t come. Centerfold didn’t move from the open chute.
  26. Chapter 26
    “…has been decided that the winner of the Breeder’s Cup Juvenile is…"