Status: done

All I Want For Christmas Is You

one

Six Christmases. It’s been six Christmases that I’ve spent without Rick. The last one we had together was in Switzerland during the lockout. Since then, we’ve had to sacrifice having him with our families for the holiday season.

As per usual, I sent his gifts to him weeks in advance with strict instructions for him not to open until the 25th. We had a tradition where we would open our gifts to each other via Skype. That way, we could see each other’s reactions and pretend that we were in the same place.

“No matter how many years it’s been, Christmas just isn’t the same without my baby home,” Rick’s mom, Liz, said as she pulled cookies out of the oven.

“I know. It’s killing me that I can’t be with or have him with me,” I said, putting more batter onto empty cookie sheets.

My family had always been neighbour’s of the Nash’s, so it was almost natural that Rick and I ended up together.

“Did you guys talk about spending Christmas together?”

“We did. But the Jackets go on a road trip on the 26th so I’d be alone for most of my holiday,”

“That stinks. You two haven’t spent a Christmas together in how long?”

“Six years. Thankfully they play Toronto on the 30th so he’ll be here for New Years.”
Liz went to speak but my cell phone rang alerting me to a call.

“Hello?”

“Hey babe, what are you up to?”

“Hey Rick. I’m helping your mom bake. Why is it so loud on your end?”

“I’m at the arena. I’m putting something together for you. Is there anything else you want for Christmas?”

“All I want for Christmas is you. You under the tree, or snoring on the couch; I just want you here,” I sighed into my phone.

“I know. And believe me, I want that too. But the team needs me.”

“I never thought I’d say this, but get hurt. Get hurt so you can come home.”

He laughed. “Now you’re being selfish.”

“I know it is. And I’d throw a tantrum in the mall if it would get you here. And by the way, I always get what I want.”

“Yes you do. Listen I gotta go. Coach wants to have a meeting before I see the masseuse.”

“Ok. Call me later?”

“But of course. I love you, baby”

“I love you too,” I smiled, ending the call.

“What did Rick want?” Liz asked, re-entering the kitchen.

“Just if I wanted anything else for Christmas. He’s putting something together for me.”

“Knowing my boy it could be anything,”

“Oh god. He better not be getting me a dog. I mean, I brought the idea up, but I wasn’t being serious.”

“It’s not a dog. Trust me, it’s not a dog,” she smiled.

“You know what it is? Come on, give me some hints,” I pushed.

“If I told you, it wouldn’t be a surprise now, would it?”

“Well no.....but,” I pried.

“No buts about it. You’re going to love what he’s getting you. And you’ll be getting it tonight. Now, go get your coat so we can run the last minute errands,”

With it being Christmas Eve, Liz and I only had a short window of time to get things accomplished under. All of the grocery shopping was done; we just needed to get alcohol and snacks for the visitors that would be coming over tonight.

Liz went and did most of the liquor shopping, stopping at a particular shelf and putting a bottle of brandy into the cart.

“Why are you getting that? Rick’s the only who drinks it and he’s not coming,” I sighed, instant frown appearing on my face.

“It’s on sale and one of our friends likes it. Now, wipe that frown off your face or you’ll get wrinkles,” She smiled, pushing the cart towards the checkout counter.

Making quick work of everything else, I helped unload the car before heading back to my own house to shower and change.

“Serena! What time does Liz want us over?” My mom called from the kitchen.

“She said around 8. You can go over whenever you want, but she told me eight o’clock,” I replied, climbing up the stair to take a shower.

Liz had been very strict about the time I arrived for the festivities, so I took my sweet time getting ready. I curled my normally straight brown hair and put on my green sweater dress with a black belt and tights. Putting on some makeup and perfume, I grabbed my coat and made my way over to the Nash house at exactly 8 o’clock.

I poured up a glass of wine upon my arrival, and couldn’t help but notice that the bottle of brandy had been opened and a substantial amount had been poured out.

“Hey Dad, you’ve been here for a while. Who’s been drinking the brandy?”

“I have no idea. I saw the guy, but I don’t know his name. Oh, your present from Rick is here. It’s outside on the back patio. Put your shoes on and go have a look,” He smiled, pushing me towards the door.

Putting on my shoes like my dad said, I walked out on to the patio to be alone with the company of the light snow flakes falling. Looking out into the yard, I saw a tall figure walking towards the house. At first it creeped me out, but as they got to the steps I realized who was standing right in front of me.

“Hey Serena, Merry Christmas,” Rick smiled, standing on the bottom step with a huge smile on his face.

I couldn’t utter any words; I just jumped into his arms and started crying.

“Hey baby, what’s wrong? Why are you crying?” He asked, putting me down on the ground and wiping my tears away with the pads of his giant thumbs.

“I’m just happy. I can’t believe you’re here,” I smiled, leaning into his chest.

“I know. Coach let me go. Turns out I am hurt and need time off,”

“You’re WHAT?!” I gasped, sitting down next to him on the top step of the patio.

“Yeah, my knee is acting up and he doesn’t want me to risk tearing something. So I’m off
until the new year.”

“I’m so happy to have you here. Like, no gift could compare to having you here.”

“And I’d say the exact same to you, but you already did. I love you Serena Phelps.”

“I love you too, Rick Nash.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Layout credit to Chelle.
Wish me luck! :D