Baby, Just Breathe.

Take Off Your Colours

A middle aged blonde woman opened the door and when she saw me, she smiled wide. I thought she recognized me-didn’t know how, though. I don’t usually smile at unknown people.

“You must be Lauren!”

“Looks like that”

“Come on in, I’m in a rush but I want to show you around… Sophia, dear, there’s your new friend here!”

The woman -who I guessed was Mrs. O’Callaghan- called her daughter out loud and I heard footsteps from upstairs running down. Finally, the girl showed up. She had long straight brown hair, and big green eyes. She had a red headband and a pink summer dress that was probably her kind of pajamas. Well, she was a beautiful child, no doubt on that, and a very girly one. She hid behind her mother’s back and acted shy for a while.

“So, this is Lauren. She is going to play with you while mom, dad and John aren’t home. Are you ok with it?”

The girl whispered something to her ear.

“Yes, she will take you to the park and you can watch cartoons with her”

I smiled. I was nervous but it could have been worse. Sophia didn’t look that evil, as for now.
Mrs. O’Callaghan looked to her watch and I assumed she was late for work.

“I’m so sorry but I have to go. Sophia will show you the rest of the house, isn’t it darling?”

She kissed the girl’s forehead and shook my hand before going out and telling me she was going to come home as soon as possible. It was 10 o’clock in the morning and I was sure I had a long day in front of me.

“So…what do you want to do?”

I asked, without having a clue about what to start with and what to say to her.

“What’s your name again?”

Her voice was sweet but intimidating. Children at that age make loads of questions and I hated that.

“Lauren…actually it’s Lauren Amanda”

“Like the pretty girl from The Hills?”

I laughed a bit and nodded; I sat down on the couch neat the fireplace in the living room.

“Do you have any second name?”

“Yes, I am Sophia Alexandra O’Callaghan. Do you want to see my room?”

“Sure. Do you have Barbie?”

“I’m not three. I play with Nintendo DS, it’s cooler”

I followed her up to the second floor. For what I could have been seeing, the family was definitely well-heeled, as I thought. I liked the style of the house. Vintage, but also modern in some spots. Besides, there were a lot of windows so a lot of light was coming in, and the parquet was really clean.

“That’s my mom and dad’s room, that’s the bathroom, that’s my brother’s room and this is mine”

She opened the door and other than a messed up bed, all I saw was pictures and a big poster of Hannah Montana. The walls were all pink colored and the only thing that wasn’t pink in that place was the wardrobe.

“Do you like pink that much uh?”

“Don’t you?”

“My favorite color is red”

“I like red”

She showed me proud her red headband.

“Do you want to see the kitchen? I still have to have breakfast. Did you have breakfast?”

One thing I could tell was that the girl talked a LOT. She always asked a million things and then she changed topic out of nowhere. It was hard to follow her in everything she said.

“Yes I did. What do you usually have for breakfast?”

“Milk with cereals. Can you help me? Mom doesn’t want me to use the stove”

We got back down when she showed me the kitchen, she took out the milk from the huge fridge and I helped her out. I tried not to make a mess but it was impossible: I was distracted for a moment and I poured all the hot milk on the floor. Fortunately I didn’t burn anything and most of all anyone.

“I’m telling this when mom comes home! It was your fault!”

Sophia got off of the chair and went upstairs again, leaving me all alone in that ocean of milk. I cleaned up and stayed seated on the kitchen floor for some minutes. I heard Sophia calling me out loud from her room.

“And this is just the beginning”

I needed oxygen and new energy. That girl was juicing me up like a lemon already.
♠ ♠ ♠
Second part.
I know, it might be a little boring because John isn't in the story yet. But I promise they will talk about him a lot in the few upcoming ones. And then he will finally show up.
This is my 'Christmas present' for all of you readers...!I hope you all have great holidays!
Unfortunately I didn't receive Johno under the tree :(

Comments would be appreciated. I'd like to have more, as today it's Christmas....it would be a cool gift!

Danielle