Baby, Just Breathe.

Can You Keep A Secret?

“Why do you wear a t-shirt that says you love California when we live in Arizona? Have you ever been to California? I’ve never been there”

Sophia was a curious kid. But I guess they all are at her age. I tried to answer to every question she did anyway, just to accomplish her thirst of knowledge.

“Yes, I’ve been there twice, in San Francisco. I have relatives there”

“We have relatives in California too, but I don’t remember any of them. What about Nevada? It’s not that far from here. Have you ever been to Las Vegas?”

“Not yet. But my dad lives there”

“Why does he live there and not here with you?”

“My mom and dad don’t live together anymore. You are lucky having a family that loves you”

“I don’t know”

She sighed, and I could see the melancholy in her eyes.

“We don’t spend a day together since last Christmas. My dad works in Melbourne and mom is often away. And John is always on tour. I don’t know why they don’t like to stay with me”

I stopped the bike. It was so sad listening to a kid talking like that.

“I’m sure it’s not like that. You should be happy for your brother”

“I am, but I want him home. He always plays with me when he’s home”

“July isn’t that far. We’re almost there”

“I’m counting down the days”

I smiled. She was so nice. Her family must have been proud of her. I felt bad for her, especially when I remembered I didn’t want to stay with her in the first place.

“When John comes home I want you to meet him. He is the greatest boy ever. He writes his own lyrics and plays the guitar and the piano. And he teaches me how to play both. And his band mates are so cool. I like his bassist, he is called Garrett. But also Kennedy is good”

“Aren’t they too old for you?”

“They are 20. My brother is 22. How old are you?”

“I’m 18. Ten years older than you, Miss”

“So John is four years older than you”

“Exactly. What do you want to eat when we get home?”

“Can we go to McDonald’s?”

“Isn’t that too much for you?”

“I never eat McDonald’s, because mom says it’s not good for health. But John eats a lot of that and he is still skinny anyway!”

I laughed and started riding the bike again.

“Listen. Let’s have a secret, ok? We will go to McDonald’s and eat something there. But it’s the first and last time, got it?”

She nodded and gave me her pinky for a pinky promise. I laced her pinky with mine and the promise was done. We talked about her school while reaching the fast food place. When we got there, she asked for a Happy Meal and I ordered just a salad. She was happy while eating her fries. We didn’t talk much, but I could tell, it was like the best day in the last months for her. It took less than what I thought to make a kid happy. And a part of me was happy as she was. Seeing the girl smiling melted me on the inside.
♠ ♠ ♠
Isn't Sophia cute?:) It's so sad to see her THAT sad. Finally Lauren got that the kid is more than she thought. She has a lot underneath all that curiosity and questions. She just wants a friend because she feels alone. But now she is less alone thanks to Lauren :)

John is coming...just 3 chapters more. But the one after the next we will finally hear him on the phone sooooo stay tuned :D

Thanks for the comments, you guys are so nice!

Danielle
xxxx