Status: Active-Copy and I'll find your mother, and torture her with an eggroll...yes, its possible.© 2010AshTheBash

Untitled

Chapter Four

Pepito's POV
     I sat by the window that night just thinking. I couldn't even smoke. I just...didn't want to. I sat perfectly still until I saw the last light go out next door and all the girls had gone to sleep. I wondered which bed Madeline slept in. She obviously didnt like me, why did i keep thinking about her? I got up and crossed my large room going to the door.
"Ma?" I called out. There was no answer. Going to the kitchen downstairs, I found a note leaning against a bowl of fruit. It read in flowery handwriting:
Pepito,
     Your father and I are attending a ball and the cook left you some food in the ice box. 
    Mama
I crumpled the note tossing it. It flew hitting the wall with a muted scratch. I wasnt even hungry. I debated going over to the pub around the corner where my boys were, but I knew they'd be over there up to no good. There was a knock at the door. I ran a hand over my hair, and went to go answer it. Evette stood forlornly at my doorstep wearing a smart little black dress and a jaunty cap. Her black hair was cropped short and curled softly at her angular jaw. 
"They sent me to come find you." she said pouting. She pushed past me into the house clutching her tiny purse with black gloved hands.
"I just don't understand why'd theyd let a lady walk alone on the streets at night. That's so...so....rude and trashy. I even had guys call me a hussy!" she said flailing her arms and collapsing on the stairs. She buried her head in her arms muffling a wail. I scratched the back of my neck not quite sure what to do. I mean, she came to my house late at night on a daily basis, alone. And well, let's not sugar coat it, she WAS a hussy. The city's most well known whore. I went over crouching beside her and taking her hand.
"I'll walk you home if you'd like." I offered. She raised her head, her heavily made up eyes accusing.
"I walked all this way and you're sending me out?" I shook my head, patting her hand.
"I'm just tired. I have a lot of things on my mind." I said truthfully. She threw her arms around my neck.
"oh Pepito, I know how you feel!" I tried to back away, but she held fast. She kissed my face muttering on about things I couldn't even understand.
"ah, Evette..." I started. She wrapped her legs around my waist. Okay, I knew where this was going...I ripped her arms off pinning them to her side. 
"Look, stop. I'm not in the mood." she opened her mouth stunned.
"Pepito! You've never turned me away before. Is there someone else?" she asked hurt. I thought about Madeline but quickly pushed the thought away.
"No, I just can't tonight Evette." she got up straightening her dress and centering her lopsided hat. 
"fine. Be that way." she said stomping to the door. "but you'll need me!" she said dramatically slamming the door. And for once, I couldn't disagree with her more.

Madeline's POV
     Me having had a recent birthday didn't change the fact that we had school the next day. We all awoke at the same time marching to the bathroom and brushing our teeth. We slipped into our uniforms and went downstairs for breakfast and then onto the awaiting Miss Clavel . I searched the kitchen quickly hoping to find Elaine. She stood at the counter wearily washing dishes. I crept in hoping none of the girls would notice the absence of my presence.
"Elaine?" I asked gingerly tapping her soft arm. She looked down startled.
"oh, Madeline, you frightened me." she said sternly.
"I'm sorry." I couldn't help but laugh. "are you okay?" she shut off the water, patting her blonde curls. It was now that i noticed grey streaks hidden.
"I'm just tired." she sighed. "Miss Clavel had a fever last night and I was up helping her." 
"is she okay?" I asked worriedly. Elaine took a dishrag and wiped the counters down.
"yes, she's fine now but needs rest, so she asked me to find an alternative assignment for you girls today." I bit my lip.
"well what ARE we doing today?" I heard the revving of an engine outside, and then all my classmates sqealing with delight.
"that." Elaine said plainly. I went out to the foyer where all the girls were crowded at the narrow window. Chloe of course was the one front and center pressed against the glass. I couldn't even see what was outside!!
"he's got charisma." I heard her say dreamily. Oh, they must be talking about Pepito. Wait, what was he doing here? I crossed my arms over my chest listening to the girls disperse as the doorbell rang. Miss Clavel emerged from the classroom, her eyes red rimmed and her nose a hot pink.
"I'll get it." she said stuffily. The girls gathered themselves, standing primly near the door. Pepito waited outside, his hands stuffed in the pockets of his leather jacket. 
"why hello Pepito, I'm so glad you could come on such short notice." Miss Clavel said letting him in. 
"it is no problem I can assure you." he said completely ignoring the daggers I was shooting him with my eyes. Miss Clavel blew her nose noisily closing the door behind him.
"Ladies, Pepito will be taking you to the park today for your drawing lesson. I want you to each draw a still life." the girls giggled and looked at Pepito curiously. Ah phooey, these girls were acting as if they had never seen a boy before.
"be on your best behaviour." Miss Clavel caveated going upstairs. Pepito walked right past me and into the classroom.
"well, let's get our drawing pads shall we?" he said, his green eyes sparkling. 
     It was warm out, the morning sun not quite touching the middle of the sky. Pepito was chatting flirtatiously with Nicole and Chloe. I put my nose in the air and walked with confidence. Aggie fell into step with me.
"Madeline do you smell something funny?" she asked oddly. I put my head down.
"no, I just....nevermind." we arrived at the park, taking our cloaks off and laying them on the grass. Couples, dogs, and children basked in the sun enjoying the marvelous day. I sat on mine beside aggie taking my pad out and looking around for inspiration. There was a nice tree with loopy branches, maybe I could draw that... I bent over making an outline like Miss Clavel taught us. Suddenly, there was a dark shadow over me. I looked up. Pepito loomed over me squinting at my drawing, his eyes crinkled at the sides and a smile played on his lips.
"WHAT is THAT Madeline?" he asked. 
"a tree." I grunted. Actually, it looked like a tall fork, but who asked him?! He bent down beside me so Aggie couldn't hear what he was going to say. I tried my hardest to ignore him and be nonchalant.
"did you open my gift?" I turned my nose up. Truth was, I kept them in the box under my pillow instead of burning them like I originally plan. Pepito annoyed me.
"yes, and I am very thankful for it." I saw Nicoles beady eye stay on me as I talked to Pepito. I smiled to myself leaning more towards him. Ha!

Pepito's POV
     She smelled like blueberries. As she thanked me for the gift I gave her, she inched closer to me. I swear this girl doesn't know what she wants! I thought dazedly. I felt a tap on my shoulder. I looked up to see one of Madeline's little schoolmates smiling at me flirtatiously. I couple even remember her name, but she was pretty.
"um, Pepito, do you mind if I drew you?" she said holding up her notepad and smiling at Madeline challengingly. I raised an eyebrow standing up.
"of course. I'll see you later Madeline." I said letting the girl take my arm.
Now if only I could remember her damned name!
♠ ♠ ♠
Keep checking for updates!:)