Status: new co-author! expect more consistent updates :)

Let's Not Play Pretend

No, Wait. Wait.

“Puss!”

His voice is in my ear, still bright across the phone-lines.

“Hey, Brendon,” I say and a smile flits across my face, simply because he’s Brendon and I love him. Honestly, he’s like the sunshine in my life.

“Wanna go see a movie this afternoon?” he asks.

Lying back on my bed, I grin to myself. “I’d love to! What time?”

“We’ll pick you up around 3-ish,” Brendon tells me.

That freezes my blood. “’We’?” I repeat, getting to my feet and hoping it doesn’t mean what I think it means.

“Ryan and I.”

Ryan-Fucking-Ross. “Oh,” I mutter and I know that my disappointment is all too obvious. “I, um … actually … I just remembered … that I need to … do … something. Today. So I can’t go. Sorry.”

“Aww,” pouts Brendon but I can tell that he isn’t really that upset by it. As long as he has Ryan. “Well, I guess we’ll see you tomorrow. Practice.”

“Y-yeah,” I mumble and I hate the way my voice shakes. Snap out of it, Walker! You’re stronger that this!

“Bye,” he says and hangs up, leaving my head reeling with a combination of emotions—disappointment, anger, loss, giddiness, love. It’s strange, how much one boy can make me feel.

Feeling drained, I collapse on my bed, chucking my cell phone to the floor where it lands with a soft thump on the carpet. Well, there goes any hope for a fun day, I think with a sigh. It’s hard to have a good time knowing Brendon is having a … better time … with Ryan.

Heading to the kitchen to make myself a ham sandwich, I spend the rest of the day moping about the apartment and feeling sorry for myself. I’m just about to pop a movie in the DVD player when my cell goes off. Brendon?

“Hello?”

“Hey, Jon. It’s Spencer! What’s up?”

That startles me—why would Spencer be calling?—and I yelp in surprise, dropping my phone. “Oh, uh, not a whole lot,” I say, breathless, once I have my phone back in my hands.

Spencer laughs. “Did you just drop the phone?”

“Yes. No!” I exclaim wildly, laughing and going to sit on the floor, leaning up against the side of the couch. “Maybe?” A rush of static hits my ear as he laughs again. “So what’s up?”

“Uh, nothing really,” he says and I can picture his shoulders jumping up in a typical Spencer shrug. “Just … do you wanna come over today? You know, just to hang out and stuff.”

Me?”

Yeah, okay, so that was pretty rude, but that was honestly the last thing I expected and I could help the word from slipping from my lips.

“Yeah … I mean … Ryan’s sorta pulled a disappearing act … and we’re friends, so … god, I’m just digging myself deeper into his hole, aren’t I?” Spencer mumbles, but still good-natured.

“Yeah, you are,” I say with a smile, and I realize that Spencer’s still has no idea about Ryan and Brendon, so Ryan’s more or less dropped off his best friend’s scope for the past couple of days. “And I’d love to. I can head over now if you want.”

“That sounds great!” Spencer exclaims and I feel my smile stretch wider across my face. I’ve always sort of overlooked Spencer but maybe he really is a true friend.
♠ ♠ ♠
JON, YOU SUCK AT LYING!

Derp. Johnny here. Way more consistent updates now, right? XD And would any lovely reader like to make a banner for this story? (Or maybe I'll just make one ... hmmm ...)

On a completely different note: Yesterday was Brendon's birthday, wasn't it? Maybe I should do something in honor of that. Or maybe I'm way too lazy and I won't.