Status: Stuck and depressed about it. Comment or message? PLEASE! Suggestions welcomed...I sound like a crazy person. LoL!

Different Stars

Boneheaded Plays

“Optimistically you can play in 10 days.” The team doctor told Sid and he watched Coach Bylsma try to cover his frustration and disappointment. Sidney felt his already shattered world crash down on him even more. His chest tightened painfully.

“That’s what happens when you make boneheaded plays like that. What were you thinking fighting him? You don't fight and when you finally do, why would you choose him?” Coach said shaking his head in disgust. The doctor walked out, leaving the two of them alone. “You’ve already missed a week because of your lack of self-control. I know you’re having personal issues, but you’ve never let that effect your game before. Take the time you have off and get it sorted out.”

“I feel good. I can play tomorrow. My injury isn’t this serious.” Sidney denied, but he knew the truth. He had a concussion and couldn’t play until he was symptom free. However long that was. He’d gotten in a fight a week ago and hadn’t played since. He’d been stuck at home and was hoping to hear good news when the doctor checked him today. Apparently, he wasn’t going to get any.

“It is serious. I’m not about to let one of my players go on the ice injured. If you get hit again right now, it could do permanent damage. Your career would be over.” Coach Bylsma looked at him with pity. He knew what Sidney was going through in his personal life. “Sort it out. When you come back, come back as the man I know you can be.”

“You mean player?” Sidney asked, assuming he’d used the wrong word.

“No. I mean man. Get you life together off the ice and your game will go back to normal.” Coach patted him on the knee. “And get some rest!” He said, leaving Sidney with no choice but to go home to his empty house.

Having already spent a week at home, he was not looking forward to the next 10 days. He’d missed Cadee like crazy and in that week, he realized how empty his life was. All he had was hockey and now he didn’t even have that. He didn’t like it. Coach’s words rang in his mind and began to wonder, What if something did happen and he couldn’t play anymore, what about when he retired? His life wouldn’t and shouldn’t always be consumed by hockey. Sometimes it took a wakeup call to realize what was important. He just hoped it wasn’t too late.

The constant reminders of Cadence didn’t help him either. Her perfume still sat on his dresser and her shampoo sat unused in his shower. He tried to throw it away after she left, but he couldn’t. He literally ached for her. Not just physically, but emotionally. He missed her simply being there, having someone to talk to and share jokes with. Someone that wasn’t a teammate. He missed simply talking and laughing with her. Joking over dinner or watching stupid movies, he needed it. He needed her. It had only taken a week for him to realize what he’d thrown away, and he had no idea if he could get it back. He felt pathetic when he reached her perfume and sprayed it on his sheets before crawling into bed. He told himself that this would be the last night he did it, but he knew that was a lie.

==

Meanwhile, the band was in Canada playing a short tour. It seemed like Cadence couldn’t escape Sidney even when she was hundreds or miles away. Here in Canada, he was on TV, and billboards. All kinds of endorsements. She felt like the universe was mocking her. Tonight was no different. The arena where they had played had a huge poster displaying Canada’s Olympic men’s hockey team on the podium taking gold at the last Olympics. Feeling childish, she had stuck her tongue out at Sidney and felt a small sense of satisfaction.

Now, sitting in her hotel room, alone, Cadence just wished she could call him. Just to hear his voice again. A knock on her door jarred her out of her melancholy. She looked through the peephole and felt the blood drain from her face. It was Sidney’s sister Taylor. Cadence hadn’t ever actually met his family. Now she was glad. Did Taylor even realize that Sidney had just broken Cadence’s heart? Probably not, Cadence thought with a mocking smile. Sidney probably hadn’t even mentioned her to anyone in his family even though they had been living together.

She let out a sigh, and opened the door. Taylor gave her a grin that reminded her so much of Sidney that it momentarily knocked the wind out of her. Taylor’s smile was replaced by a sudden look of sadness, that Cadence didn’t understand. Cadence stepped back to let her into the room, but she was slightly terrified of why she was here.

Cadence made an excuse so that she could run to the bathroom to gather herself. As soon as Cadence walked back into the room where Taylor was waiting, she felt like a little piece of Sidney was there with her. Then Taylor walked up to her and hugged her, she almost started crying right then.

“I feel like I know you already because of Sidney.” Taylor said. “I’m Taylor, his sister.”

Cadence had to work to speak. “I know. I recognized you from the pictures around the- I mean, his house.”

“It was your house too. I was pretty pissed at him for screwing everything up with you.”

“What?” Cadee said, taken aback at her honesty.

“Yeah. I yelled at him for it.” Taylor informed her in a matter of fact tone.

“It wasn’t only his fault.”

“Right. He was probably closed off and secretive about his life and it drove you away.”

“Actually, that’s not totally why. He wasn’t closed off from me.”

“Oh, well then what was it?”

“He kept me secret. He wouldn’t tell anyone we were dating. I got tired of hiding it from everyone.”

Taylor stopped and stared and Cadence, a new look replacing her friendly one from before. “But all your friends knew. Isn’t that all that really mattered?”

“You sound just like him.” Cadence said.

“He’s my brother.” Taylor now looked a little mad at Cadence and Cadence was surprised at her abrupt change.

“I know.”

“Obviously, you don’t. He learned this lesson the hard way. Ever heard of Matt Treanor?”

“No, he never mentioned it.” Cadence said. Suddenly feeling nervous. She didn’t know why, but she was sure that what Taylor was going to say wouldn’t be the most pleasant thing ever.

“Him, not it. Matt was his best friend. They grew up playing together. We all grew up together really…” Taylor trailed off, and Cadence was wondering what she was remembering. “They played hockey all the time, and were pretty inseparable. It seemed all right until Sidney started getting a lot of attention from the media and scouts. I think Sidney felt relieved to have someone that was with him before he was super famous, someone that he thought he could trust. I’m not sure exactly what happened, but one day Sidney came home angrier than I have ever seem him. I was scared to ask what was wrong. Matt never called again and they never said hi to each other anymore either. It was strange. Ever since then, he’s been private. Obsessively. So, I don’t feel that you guys fought about him wanting to keep your relationship quiet.” Taylor shrugged.

“What do you mean? You don’t know what happened at all?” Cadence asked, she felt like she was going to throw up. Maybe she should have given him more of a chance to explain himself. Although some secrets were harder to share than others, but Sidney had been pretty open. In a way it hurt her that he hadn’t felt like he could share whatever had happened with Matt.

“It happened a few years ago. He didn’t tell me what happened, I only know bits and pieces.” Taylor paused, looking sad. “I just know that he’s my brother, and he hasn’t been carefree or unguarded since that happened.”

“He never told me any of that.” Cadence said, feeling a little lost. Taylor had just added more uncertainty to her already tumultuous mind.

“I’m sorry. I probably shouldn’t have said anything. Sidney is always telling me that I’m too nosy for my own good.” Taylor looked remorseful. “I worry about him. I thought that you two were perfect for each other.”

“I’m glad you said something.” Cadence said then pulled Taylor into a hug.

“He talks about you all the time.” Taylor paused and waited for Cadence to contradict her. When Cadence just looked at her, she continued, “Still talks about you, yes. He’s called me a few nights just to talk. I think he’s lonely.”

Cadence bit her lip before saying, “That’s not what I wanted.”

“I know. I think that being hurt and not being able to play is messing with his mind.”

“He’s not seriously hurt is he? The media doesn’t really say anything and his teammates just say they don’t know.”

“You’ve asked them?”

Cadence paused, and realized what she’d just confessed. “I have. Flower told me to ask him myself.”

Taylor laughed at that. “He’s funny. And it’s true. You could just ask him.”

Cadence took a deep breath, then released it. “I don’t think so.”

“Okay, well. I’m just telling you that he mentions you a lot when he calls me. I think that I’ve talked to him more in the past week than I have in the past three months.” Taylor’s phone rang and she looked at it. Cadence found herself hoping it was Sidney. “It’s my friend. She’s here to get me.”

“Well…thanks for stopping by.” Cadence said, feeling a little awkward.

“No prob.” Taylor said, flashing her another Sidney like grin. She reached out and hugged Cadence one last time. “Bye, Cadee. Can I call you Cadee? Sid always does when he talks about you.”

“Cadee, definitely.” Cadence said grinning again. “Bye, Taylor.”

“Bye.” Taylor waved as she stepped out the door. Cadence closed it, then leaned back against it. Taylor and what she had said were totally unexpected, and Cadence wasn’t sure she knew what to make of it. She groaned loudly before banging her head softly against the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh My Goodness! 3 pages of comments! Yes. It’s sad how excited that makes me. So, I know this is kinda short, but I wanted to post it to let you guys know that I appreciate how awesome you are and that you’ve stuck with me. More to come shortly. Should I stretch out the angst? I was debating myself, but I’m not really sure how to stretch it out much more. I'm thinking that next chapter will be his grand gesture to win her back. Thoughts about that?

And I'm sorry if this brings up sad memories about Sid's real life concussion. It was just what came out when I started writing.