Status: Updated on random occasions

God Is a Comedian

Visit

Image


After about a week in, Sean was able to leave the hospital. The doctors said he suffered no brain damage and that the bruising and swelling would disappear in a few weeks. My bruises on my nose were gone and the only evidence of the attack was a small scar on the bridge of my nose. But Sean seemed less than enthusiastic to be leaving the hospital. And that was probably because Mom kept bugging him about going back to school, which was something Sean was not a fan of. So far, all the Donnellys, with the exception of Jimmy who dropped out his junior year, had finished high school. But Tommy was the only one going to college. I could have went to college; I applied and got accepted to NYU which was something I hid from my family. But I knew my family couldn't really afford it and I doubt I would've did well.

But as an older sibling, I felt obligated to encourage Sean to finish high school. So, on the way out of the hospital, I made a small comment on the subject which Sean awarded me with a dirty look. I knew how Sean felt. He knew he wasn't going to college, so why should he spent a year in high school when he could be out doing something more productive. But Mom felt that he would be out doing something illegal. In that case, high school didn't seem to stop him.

Tommy was waiting for us with the Mom's car, she was the only one who owned a car in the family, and Tommy drove while Sean and I sat quietly in the back seat. When we finally reached our apartment building, Mom and Sean went ahead as Tommy and I grabbed the groceries. There was only two bags, so we each grabbed one. I was the last one to head up to the apartment since I dropped the bag and Tommy was too busy laughing to help.

As I walked up the three flights of stairs, I planned my revenge on Tommy for laughing at my random clumsiness. But I came to a sudden halt when I rounded the corner on the third floor. Standing just outside the door of our apartment was a frustrated Tommy and a calm-looking Nicky Carrillo. I appeared to have interrupted a very heated conversation. “Hey, Allison.” Nicky said causally with a smile. I could tell that Tommy wanted kill him at that moment.

“Hi, Nicky.” I said sarcastically, returning a smile. My response only made Tommy angrier.

“Sorry about the nose.” Nicky said, sympathetically. I couldn't tell if the sympathy was fake or not.

“Allison!” Tommy practically yelled, interrupting our conversation. Without another word, I opened the door of our apartment and disappeared behind it.

Not a minute later, Tommy finally opened the door and walked in. I was helping Mom put away the groceries when Tommy pulled me aside. “Allie, I don't want you talking to that man.” Tommy said in his usual paternal tone.

“I'm not an idiot, Tommy. I saw what he did to Sean. What did he want anyway?” I said in a whisper so Mom couldn't overhear even though she was completely unaware of us.

“He knows Jimmy kidnapped Louie Downtown. And until Louie turns up, which he's not, Nicky thinks we should pay four thousand dollars a week to cover lost business.” They way he said, Tommy sounded like he was still unsure of what to do. So, not only did we still have Dokey on our case but we also had the Italians hanging around.

“And when is this weeks money due?” I asked out of curiosity.

“Midnight tonight. Stay here. Watch Mom.” Tommy said before walking back out the door. At the same time, Kevin walked into the kitchen and made a bowl of cereal.

“Kevin, I need to talk to you.” I said taping him on the shoulder.

“Wait a minute.” Kevin said before shoveling a spoonful of cereal into his mouth.

“This is important, Kev.” I hissed.

My tone briefly broke though his hunger. “You're pregnant, aren't you?” Kevin whispered.

“No!”

“Then you can wait until I'm finished with my cereal.” He returned his attention back to his bowl.

“Why? Afraid it might get cold?” I joked.

“No. Soggy.” I gave up and took a seat next to my brother. In a whisper, I told Kevin what Tommy told me. “Great! I guess I'm stuck with you guys.”

“What do you mean?”

“I can't leave you guys by yourself with him hanging around, can I?” Kevin said sarcastically.