Status: Active

Seeing the Truth

Trois.

I suddenly felt extremely irritable.

'Hey, my name is-' I raised my eyebrows at him expectantly, 'Brandon,' he said slowly.

'Cool. Now could you perhaps let my arm go? I have somewhere to be, as I'm sure so do you,' I pulled my arm away and continued walking.

'Just wait!' he called after me, tugging on my hand again, 'I just wanted to give you this, you left it on the table back in the Conference Room,' I sighed a little out of relief as he handed me my iPod, knowing that if I ever lost it, I would probably break down. I saved money every month last year to buy it and I'm barely anything without my music.

I couldn't stop myself from giving him a huge hug as a thanks, but let go immediately. These were the kind of things that I wanted to stop doing around boys. It tends to give them the wrong impression, all-too often.

I turned around and walked away, and soon enough I was standing in front of room 18, when I heard a deep voice behind me. 'I guess we have the same job.'

I groaned and stepped right in, not bothering to turn around to see that Brandon guy from earlier standing behind me. I was surprised to find that there were no loud noises, which is something you would expect from a room filled with children 12 and under.

I found my way to a young lady who looked at least 25, a short line of other volunteers trailing behind me. 'Hi,' I greeted, 'I'm Adelaide and we're here to help out.'

She smiled brightly at me and got up from where she was seated on a small colorful chair, next to a young girl with bright blue eyes. 'It's good to see so many volunteers this year. We don't usually get many around here during the summer. I'm Kelsey and I'll be here if you need help with anything, for now, you can all sit with the partner you've been assigned to. A name tag will be stuck on the table in front of your partner. For today we're just going to get to know each other. Okay?'

We all nodded and began searching for the child that had our names in front of them. My partner was a small boy about the age of 6. He had sandy colored hair and light brown eyes.

I sat down next to him and tapped him on the shoulder. He looked in my direction but stared at nothing in particular, a childishly cute smile plastered on his face.

'Hello!' he said enthusiastically, 'my name's Jack. Who are you?' I smiled but realized that he couldn't see me and replied to him. 'I'm Ade. I'm going to be your partner for the rest of the summer.'

He grinned sweetly, 'That's a really pretty name. I bet you're really pretty. Can we be friends? I don't have a lot of friends,' he asked shyly. I gave him a small hug. 'Of course we can,' I answered.