The Three Armies

A great war leaves the country with three armies - an army of cripples, an army of mourners, and an army of thieves.
-German proverb.

Mikey Way is seventeen when he joins up. The legal limit is twenty one, but the army is so desperate for soldiers that no one asks any awkward questions or peers at him too closely when he signs his name on the sheet.

“Well done, son,” the guy behind the desk says, nodding approvingly as Mikey signs his name under all the others. “We could use more like you out there, fighting for our country.”

And Mikey smiles shyly back at him, nodding, a bubble of pride blossoming in his chest. It quashes the fear and the doubt and the almost overwhelming current of Gerard is going to kill me.

Entry in the Opposite Day contest, round one. I had to write a fanfiction oneshot for any fandom that's not Harry Potter. Also entered in this contest

(This is partly for Jennie because she is awesome and wonderful and unwittingly inspired this because she wanted a Mikeyway fic based on the video to The Ghost of You. So here’s to you, Jenniecakes.)
  1. To die by your side is such a heavenly way to die.
    There is a Light That Never Goes Out - The Smiths.