The Chronicles of being a merch girl: The Booth, The shirt, and The Band Boy.

The Booth

Melly’s POV
The rain hit our faces as we sat outside. The bus engine running, waiting for its riders to board, and set off to its next destination. Yellow caution tape the only real thing separating us from the band. The drops of water sliding down my face. This is where fans prove how loyal they really are to the band. And for the band to prove how loyal they are to the fans, how much they really mean to them. I jumped around hoping to warm my body. The security guard conversed with the other kids that stood outside. I looked to my left. Jenn stood there. Her eyes staring at the back door of the small venue. Her outside being was calm but I knew inside her stomach was flipping and twisting in ways that you would have to experience to know how it feels. The door opened and closed. A man with long careless hair and goatee. He was older and very tall compared to my small stature. He scanned the fans standing behind the caution tape. He then went back inside. We knew that man. Well in a sense. We know of him and had seen him before. Thor. One of that many loyal roadies. A few moments later he came out with out a shorter man. His hair up in a Mohawk. The beard on his face cut into intricate lines. He came up and gave me a friendly smile. I returned it. He stood there in front me.

Jenn’s POV

Yeha I was totally standing there waiting for those bitches to come, there was this dude standing in front of me talking to melly. He was pretty hot I must say. He had the most awesome beard shit going on. I wonder how long it takes him to do that. Oh well. But oh my god there’s that guy from the video….uh what’s his name ….uh Thore. Oh my god that’s him he’s so awesome. He is such a badass. Uh fucking asshole it is freezing cold here, and this fucking rain is making my feet numb and my jacket extra heavy. They better fucking come out, cause if they don’t I’m going to be so let down by those jerks. Oh my god I get to meet Brian, he’s so hot. OH and jimmy. I’m totally going to show him my tattoo I have. Yeah that right I have his name tattoo on my hip, them I’m going to get his john handcock and then tattoo that on the other side. It’s going to be badass. Anyways its like 1:30 am and they have been talking to this dude I think his name is grant, I knew they were jabbering about what melly had done. He said she was lucky and some shit would have gone down but it didn’t. That’s always cool. Oh I wonder who’s going to come out first?

Melly’s pov

My eyes grew wide. Remembering how earlier I had hit the m.shadows in the fucking face. With my cheap ass one dollar orange glow in the dark necklace. Grant as we called him. Smiled at me and called for the other man.

Grant: HEY THOR!!!

The man from earlier with the careless long hair and goatee came over. A slight smile on his face.

Thor: yeah?

Grant: remember when Shadows got hit in the face?

Thor nodded.

Grant: I found her…

He pointed at me and I shrank. Thor shook his head.

Thor: ohhhh…

Thor walked off to talk to the security guard. Grant turned back to me a smile adorning his lips.

Grant: we don’t like people like you.

Melly: I didn’t mean to hit him. It was an accident. I felt so bad.

Grant: he was pissed.

Melly: he was mad?

Grant: you’re lucky you are girl. Cause if you were a guy and he saw you do that he would have beat the shit out of you.

My eyes went even wider.

Grant: but you’re lucky you’re a girl…and you’re cute.

I smiled shyly. He nodded and gave me a huge smile.

Grant: but you know what? High five for doin’ that.

I frowned for a sec than high fived him. I smiled as he walked off to talk to the bad ass Thor. I looked over at Jenn.

Melly: dude that guy was soooooo hot! Did you hear what he said?

Jenn: he was pretty cute. That Matt was going to beat the shit out of you?

Melly: yeah that’s scary.

Jenn: maybe you shouldn’t have been such a cunt face and thrown the necklace at him.

Melly: it was an ACCIDENT!!!

I whined. She shook her head. She looked the other way then quickly looked back at me. Her eyes wide and excited.

Jenn: look! It my MAMA!!!

I looked around her and there stood the man I hit in the face. Smiling from ear to ear. But for some reason I wasn’t as smitten as I thought I should be for this man.

Jenn: look my mama. My mama.

Grant stood with M. Shadows. Making sure no one tried to kill him or something.

Jenn: hey Matt can you sign my sweater?

Matt: yeah.

He said enthusiastically and did as asked.

Jenn: can I take a picture with you?

Silence. We both looked at him. Waiting for a response.

Matt: yeah.

He finally said after about a 30-year awkward silence. He wrapped an arm around her. The camera clicked and it was my turn. I looked at Grant and he smiled.

Melly: can you sign my shirt?

Matt: yeah.

Melly: anywhere on the white. I don’t care.

I watched as he carefully produced a signature.

Melly: can I take a picture with you please?

Matt: of course.

He wrapped his arm around me and I hugged him and smiled. And like nothing he went to the next fan.

Jenn: you should tell him you hit him.

I glared back at her.

Melly: shut the fuck up.

Jenn: tell him. Tell him.

Melly: shut up!

I looked back at Matt. He was to busy to even notice to random girls talking about him. I looked at Grant and he did the shushy thing.

Grant: I didn’t tell him don’t worry.

I smiled in thanks. He nodded.

Jenn: we have to ask him now.

Melly: right.

Jenn: hey MATT!!!!

He looked at all the fans. Looking for face to match the voice.

Jenn: MATT!!

She said like a bitch. He looked directly at her.

Jenn: when’s Jimmy coming out?

Matt: uh I don’t know I only speak for myself

Jenn: oh.

Melly: ok now we have to ask about merching.

Jenn nodded. This was our one chance. Now or never. We are the type that prefer now than never. After he doubled checked that he covered everyone we got his attention.

Melly: Matt. Right here man.

He looked at Jenn and me.

Matt: did I miss you guys?

Grant looked us over. An eyebrow perked with interest.

Jenn and Melly: can we be your merch girls?

Matt frowned and laughed a little.

Jenn: we are serious.

Matt: I don’t doubt that but what makes you different from the other people who have and will ask me or any of the guys that?

Melly: It’s not about you or the guys. Its about me and Jenn wanting to do our thing.

Jenn: yeah going out and getting shit done.

Matt: not about us? You’re merching for the band.

Melly: it’s about living a dream. Helping someone reach another goal in their life. Its like when you were trying to be the band you are now?

He perked a brow nodding. Grant had a smile of approval.

Matt: hold on.

He went into the bus. Grant following behind. Moments later came out the cutest man I have ever seen. Oh my god he is so hot, I can’t believe he is standing right there. I turned to Jenn.

Melly: Oh my god it’s Johnny he’s so cute I’m going to have his babies.

Jenn: Slut!

Melly: Shut up I am not.

Jenn: Johnny can you sign my sweater.

He just nodded.

Johnny: yeah.

Jenn: and a picture?

Johnny: yeah.

He is so damn cute. Oh My GOD. Just fucking adorable. He wrapped his arm around me and I hugged him. My face in his neck for a second. Mmmmmmmmmmmm… I said my thank you. But right before he was going to walk away I grabbed him to me again and planted one on him.

Johnny: oh…

He then giggled.

Melly: Sorry I couldn’t help myself.

Johnny: that’s all right.

Jenn’s POV

Jenn: oh my God you kissed him.

All I could do was smile. I mean shit I just kissed fucking Johnny fucking Christ. I think I shit myself…. nah. But oh my god that was the shit, I promised myself that I would do that and bitch I did. Not too many people can say “Yeah that’s right I kissed Johnny Christ from Avenged Sevenfold” in your faces assholes.

Melly: I no! She gushed

Jenn: That’s good. I wonder when Jimmy’s coming out? I can’t wait to see him.

I turned around to talk to some people that we have been talking to the whole time we have been out here. They have been pretty cool. Especially this kid in cowboy boots he’s from California. He did the sea walking in those damn boots, and let me tell you that was the best fucking thing I have ever seen in a long while. His friend was cool. I was talking to the dude about Jimmy and he asked who was jimmy. I told him the drummer and he was all like you mean The Rev? Wow I thought these people were fans. Well let me tell you I’m the biggest Jimmy fan there is on this fucking earth, and who ever fucking going to tell me that I’m not. Well you’re going down bitch. I heard the door open from behind me I turned around as fast as I could and there I saw him…..Jimmy! I was so excited to see him. I yelled for him to come over, but he went into the bus. I got so sad. But not even five minutes later he came back out. We had formed a line going down the bus. We were in the back of the line. He was getting closer and closer I wouldn’t take my eyes off him. I was so stoked. There was one kid left and then me. He talked to him for like a minute, and now me. He came up to me and smiled. Grant was right behind him, protecting him like he really could. I asked him to sign the back of my ticket, and I told him that I got a tattoo with his name. He was pretty stoked. He asked if he could see it, I showed him and he bent down, cause I was like a foot shorter than. He took a good look at it. Like he was inspecting every curve and heart. He came back up. “ Wow that’s so awesome” “ that’s bad-ass”. Those were like magical words going in and out of my head. Yes! He thinks its cool. I asked for a picture with him and he gladly said yes. I said thank you and he went to the next person. Wow that was the greatest thing ever! Oh I hope matt says yes and he talks the rest of the guys into it. I think it will be a great time plus we get paid kinda not the greatest but hey its something, and we get out of this boring state too. I’m always up for some travel. It will be so badass, selling shit to those kids, but then after we get to travel with them, have fun with them. Oooo and I get to be friends with jimmy. I hope!! I was watching what was going on, and every now and then I look back to see where Jimmy was. I heard a little jingle like if a cell phone went off. It was in front of me, I looked around to see who it was, and then I spotted it. It was grant. He answered the phone, he talked with this stranger for a couple minutes and then he looked at melly and me. He gave us this look like “oh you are in for it”. Then he went around the corner of the bus and went in. he must have been in there for 15 to 20 minutes. When he was in there Brian came out. I was so excited but a different in way then jimmy. Of course he went down the line. Melly grabbed me almost in a headlock.

Melly: Look there he is Jenn, your husband. Look.

I don’t think I could look. She had a good grip on my head.

I finally got out of her grip to get a look at him and to get my shit signed and to at least say hi to him. He came around to us. This is so sad I couldn’t even look him in the eye. Don’t ask me why but I couldn’t. I asked if he would sign my jacket and then take a picture with him. That is all I said, and he acted like I was going to start blabbing or something but no, I said 12 words and that’s it. Then it was melly’s turn I could just tell the picture that they were going to take was going to be great. After that he gave us one last look, he made it a funny looking one. He did his stuff and went back on the bus. We waited for zacky to come out. It must have been an half hour and things were not looking good. The security guard started to move the tape that separated us from the bus. He said that zacky wasn’t coming out because he was sick. That BS I can’t believe it, if I was sick and famous I would go out and see my fans. Its called sucks it up bitch, not that hard. You just played a show to and you were going crazy, and you waited like 2 hours to come out, so I don’t see why you cant come out. I guess now we do is wait. All the kids started walking to there cars, and leaving. I hope this happens I can really use this time away to do my thing, be on my own to say I can, plus hot men!!! I can’t pass this up. But I hope he knows that we mean business. We went back to my car and waited, we watched the time pass by. We were listening to my pod, has a blanket over me and almost a sleep, and melly was reaching in the back for something, there was a loud bang on my window. We both scream as load as we could. We took a look at who it was. Fucking grant (Danny) pounding on my window. I open the door.

Jenn: Fucking asshole, I had a heart attack

Grant: Hahahah oh man sorry bout that, but I couldn’t help it man. But anyways he want to talk to you both.

Melly: Let’s do it then.

Grant: Ok this way ladies.
We walked over to the bus. He went up to the door and punched in a number and the door popped open a little. He grabbed the handle and swung it open.

Grant: Follow me into the cave. He gave us a little smile. He walked up the stairs as we followed behind him. He pushed back this little accordion door, the separated the driver from the rest of the bus. We went through and there was everyone. Oh my Fucking god. ZACKY! He looked sick but not that bad. Grant stopped by us. Gave us a little laugh.

Grant: These might be your new merch girls.

Jimmy: Oh its you, girl with my name tattooed on you! He laughed.

Jenn: oh yeah that’s me. I said quietly.

I could here grant and matt laughing hella loud in the back and grant came out.

Grant: He’ll be out in a sec ok?

Melly: ok.

Grant: you guys want something to drink?

Melly: what do you got?

Grant: uhh, bud light, miller light, bush, red bull, water, and milk?

Melly: Uh water is good.

Grant: For you over they’re with the messed up hair.

Jenn: Oh uh red bull would be cool.

Grant gave us the drink and we sat down next to zacky and jimmy. We talked to them for a while before matt came out. We needed to do our business.

Matt: ok so you guys really serious about being our merch girls?

Melly: yes

Jenn: you know it!

Matt: ok well the title of merch girls there comes some other stuff we might want you to do. Like, if we ask you personally to do something, then do it, clean the bus up,get food and booze, help other people like grant, thor, matt and JB. Make sure that we can get as much merch sold as possible, maybe sometimes help with sound check.

Melly: that’s do-able.

Jenn: most defiantly. We will get shit done like there is no fucking tomorrow; well have to order more merch cause will run out.

Matt: ok, well sounds like you guys are more than will to. You guys will have to go over sea’s to like Japan and Europe. But we will buy the tickets for you guys. And you’ll pretty much become our slaves. He laughed.

We laughed. And so did the other guys.

Matt: Cool you know what you guys are hired.

Both: Fucking awesome!

Matt: so our next stop is spo..Spokane?

Jenn: Spokane.

Matt: oh yeah. So you guys will start with that one. And were leaving in like half hour.

Jenn: SHIT!

Matt: what?

Melly pov

So Jenn and me hadn't totally thought the whole merch girl thing over.
That's only because we didn't fully expect them to say yes. I mean come
on. Taking on two randoms. Not likely. Especially to work for them. We
sat up front quietly. Waiting as to what is going to happen to Jenn's car.

Jenn: I don't want leave her behind.

Brian: her?

Jenn: yeah my car is a girl. Her name is sally.

She said not looking at him. I bit at my fingernail. Biting the piece
off and spitting it out.

Matt: maybe you can follow in the car until we can figure a way to tow her.

Jenn smiled a little.

Jenn: I hate driving at night.

Matt sighed. My eyes darted to the bunk area. Someone moving back there
caught my attention. I stopped chewing my nails for a second. Johnny came out and my cheeks got hot.

I looked at Matt.

Matt: what do you think?

Melly: uhhh...not sure. I mean if it were me I would have someone pick
it up in the morning.

I glanced at Johnny. He was staring at me with an amused smirk.

Jenn: I can't leave her. She's my baby.

Melly: or follow like you said.

Matt nodded. I glanced at Johnny again. He was still smirking.

Brian: just leave it behind.

Jenn looked at me wide eyed. Shaking her head.

Melly: we will follow in her car to the next venue.

Matt: are you sure? Its late and a long drive.

I looked at Jenn.

Jenn: there's just no other way.

Matt: you guys really want to do this. Just up and leave? Without anyone
knowing. With nothing. Just whatever is on you.

We nodded. He smiled loving it.

Matt: All right. We'll have one of the roadies go with you.

Brian: you are some crazy bitches. You'll do just fine with us.

Matt: come on you two.

We stood up and started following Matt. I turned and waved.

Melly: night guys.

Brian: yeah.

Johnny: night.

He said looking me in the eye. I turned and walked out. I took a deep
breath. My cheeks were cooled by the early morning air.

Matt: so you can follow and when we get there you can sleep on one of
the buses.

Jenn: what's the next stop?

Matt: uhh spo...spo...spokain, spokane. I can't fuckin' pronounce it.

We laughed at his frustration.

Jenn and Melly: its pronounced spo-can.

We giggled at his expression. He shook his head.

Matt: whatever, that fuckin' place. Do you know how to get there?

Jenn: uhh yeah. I mean we are from here.

Matt: right.

We got on the second bus. All eyes on us. Me and Jenn waved at Grant
and Thor.

Thor: what's goin' on Matt?

Matt: well Jenn here decided she will not leave...sally right?

Jenn: yeah.

Matt: yeah she won't leave sally her car behind. I was hoping someone
would go with them.

Grant: I'll go.

Jenn and me smiled at each other.

Matt: great. I was gonna make you go anyway.

Grant made a face then smiled.

Grant: come on ladies. To sally. He pointed in the air.

Melly: night everyone.

We made our way out again.

Matt: make sure nothing happens.

Grant: I won't. Don't worry so much Matt.

Matt turned to Jenn and me.

Matt: are you sure you want to do this?

Melly: you make it seem like once we leave, we can't ever come back.

Matt: its not that I just want to make sure you guys really want to
leave.

Jenn and me looked at each other. For a split second I felt my heart
tell me to stay. That this wasn't the way to go.

Jenn: its what we've been waiting for. The change we need.

Melly: Mr. Sanders you have yourself two new merch girls. Two of the
best merch girls you will ever have. And we will make damn sure of that.

He smiled and we shook hands.

Matt: welcome to the crew girls. See you in Spo-can. Keep an eye on
them.

Grant: where could they go Matt? I mean we are in the same car.

Matt made a face.

Matt: just be careful.

We nodded and watched him walk off to the bus.

Grant: shot gun.

Melly: hahaha. There is no such thing in this car. I always sit up
front.

Jenn: and I always drive...and Melly does always sit up front. Its a
rule.

Grant: ok. I respect that. Best friends.

We nodded.

Jenn: Grant meet my baby Sally. Sally this is Grant.

Grant gave me a “is she crazy” look. I just shrugged.

Jenn: Sally says she likes your Mohawk.

Grant: uhh tell her I said thanks.

We loaded up into sally.

Jenn: what should we listen to?

Melly: don't care.

Grant: what do ya got?

Jenn: a lot of shit.

We finally decided on what to listen too.

Jenn’s POV

I let sally worm up. I looked over the gages, checking for a full tank of gas, temp was good and were set for in here. I could here the buses engines running. The first buses started to leave with the guys in it. I back out of the parking lot and wait for Thor to go. He honked the horn for me to go. I guess there will be a buss sandwich! I took off. This is really the real deal. Were leaving. I looked in my rear view mirror to see the buss behind me a little. I really don’t want to go bus slow so im going to speed the process up, cause I can’t see well at night and I’m tired. We got on the exit to Bellevue/ Spokane. The buss in front took off. I was not going to go 50 all the way there. I got in the next lain and passed the buss.

Grant: this is what im talking about.

Jenn: Don’t underestimate sally. She can do a lot.

Grant: sure. Well its roomy back that’s what I like. So how long is it going to take to get to Spo-kain?

Jenn: about 5 to 6 hours.

Grant: really?

Jenn: yeah or you could ride in the bus and make it an 8 hour trip.

Grant: I’m good. He said with a smile.

We were getting close to our exit to our city.

Melly: So long Bellevue. She screamed out the window.

Melly: wow I might miss this place in like a year.

We laughed.

Grant: looks boring.

Jenn: It is. There’s nothing to do there.

Melly: yep most boring places ever!

We finally passed Bellevue.

Jenn: DO WORK SON!!!

Melly laughed.

This 5-hour trip is going to be long and boring but hey we have a hot ass roadie in my car, and we are now Avenged Sevenfold’s merch girls.