The Old Thing

One Out Of One

Melissa walked through the park on a cool fall afternoon. Sighing she zipped up her blue jacket the rest of the way to protect herself from the bitter cold. It had been a whole week since she’d saw him last, Jack. Jack was her best friend; they’ve gone through so much together from relationship drama to family crud all the way to just plain peer pressure.
Melissa had begun to develop feelings for a jack a long while back, but she’d never said anything to him. She was always afraid it would ruin them, the amazing friendship they had and more. Her mouth remained shut, well up until a week ago. Just a week ago, when the two some were playing poker in Jack’s room, Melissa told him she loved him. Jack said nothing in return except ‘it’s getting late, you better go.’ Running out of the house crying, she scolded and told herself love was overrated. She wished she kept her mouth shut.
But, here she was walking to meet the man who broke her heart. Earlier today he had called her telling her to meet by the old Ladder that stood on the far side of the park. The ladder had been there for years, they played on it often when they were children. Quickening her pace, she reached the old thing, but Jack wasn’t in sight. Sighing she leaned into the ladder, silently hoping it wouldn’t tip. Playing with the ends of her dress she waited for him to show up.

“Hi Mel.” Jack’s voice came out of nowhere making Melissa jump.

“Good afternoon.” She said blushing in embarrassment; standing up straight she turned to see him smirking at her. Their eyes locked as he came as stood on the other side of the ladder. “You wanted to see me?” her heart sailed in her chest. Oh did she love him, his scent, the way his brown hair feel around his face. That one piece that always got stuck in his eye.

“I came to apologies.” He replied, yanking her from her thoughts. “I shouldn’t have reacted like that. You just surprised me.”

“You really hurt me, by acting the way you did, Jack. You can’t just expect me to be okay with it. You didn’t even call or anything. Do you know how it feels to tell someone you love them and said person shuts you out, and tells you to get lost?” Melissa asked almost going into tears.

Shaking his head Jack looked back up at her. “I guess you don’t feel the same way anymore.” He stated, his eyes going sad almost black.

“I still love you. I guess I always will.” Melissa whispered, leaning into the ladder.
A smile appeared on his lips, “I love you and I have for a very long time”

“But that day you seemed like you didn’t, like you didn’t care at all.” Melissa said pulling back slightly in shock.

“Like I said, you just surprised me Melissa. It was hard, watching you leave that way, I tried going after you, but you were gone. I tried calling you too, but your sister kept answering, and told me never to call again.” Jack said with a smiled then chuckled, “I finally go ahold of you, It made my heart skip a beat to hear your voice.”

Melissa blinked and made a mental not to kill her sister.” So you love me?”

“With all my heart,” he said leaning into the ladder again.

“I love you so much.”Melissa said leaning forward. Their lips met and fireworks shot off in their souls. After a long moment, they both pulled away.

“Let’s get out of the cold.” Jack suggested standing up straight and walking over to help her up. He grabbed her by the waist and pulled her into him. A playful smile stood on his lips as he kissed her again.

Laughing she pulled away, “Come on, I know a little coffee shop not too far away.” She said grabbing a hold of his arm as they walked, leaving the old blue ladder behind.