Status: Under Construction. Posted on wattpad as "Rebels and Skeletons"

Burn It to the Ground

Failed Attempts To Fly

Maura's POV.

The next morning, we awoke feeling refreshed, bright eyed and bushy tailed. Ready for the day ahead.

Not.

I threw a pillow at Kassia on my way to the bathroom, earning a sleepy and irritated grunt from the girl who had put away nine beers last night after I’d pried her away from Dean, who had turned out to be a little better at handling my sister than I had originally anticipated. Not that I would ever admit that to anyone, especially him or my sister. “Wake up sleepy head!” I called, coming back to grab the dagger I kept under my pillow and slipping it into my boot just in case. She was sprawled across her bed, face buried in her pillow and only barely awake.

“Alright,” I began walking towards the door “I’ll just go check out some leads with Sam…And Dean.” I stressed the last part, slowly and threateningly opening the door to let in the harsh sun.

Kassia’s hand shot up, holding up three fingers “Gimme three minutes.” She literally rolled out of bed, landing on the matted carpet with a loud thunk. I laughed a little as she slowly rose, stumbling into the brightly lit bathroom and slamming the door behind her, her usual morning routine.

I yelled for her to lock up when she was done and headed out to the car, momentarily enjoying the feel of the sun warming my skin. It was a pretty quiet day, considering we were in the middle of the capital of Wyoming, which made me even more nervous about the day ahead. We’d never faced a Shapeshifter before and more time I spent thinking about the actual task at hand instead of the idiots we were working with, the more nervous I got. This was complete and total unknown territory, and our father seemed cautious about it. Dad was never cautious about anything, he was a barge-in-shooting kind of man, no matter what the creature on the other end of the barrel was.

But, I reminded myself Dad wouldn’t be scared, he’d get the job done just like I will. I walked up to my Firebird and popped the trunk, folding down the false top and doing an inventory of all our weapons and ammo, especially silver items.

I shouldn’t have been that nervous, we were just going to go to the bar and talk to friends of victims, get some insight on what kind of person they were and what kind of people their spouses were. It would be easy, but I couldn’t help being on edge.

I heard a door close behind me and turned sharply, expecting to see Kassia shuffling towards me but instead I was greeted by the sight of Sam trotting forward and coming to a stop a couple of feet away.

“Can I help you?” I asked, purposefully putting a dash of contempt in my tone. He just shrugged, looking back at his and his brother’s room expectantly.

Out of curiosity I let my guard down a little, “Hang over?” He nodded “Kassia too?” I just laughed a little in response, slamming the trunk closed and hopping on it, suddenly remembering a question I’d been thinking over for awhile “So about the psychic thing…”

Sam sighed, a slight smile “No, I can’t tell you the lottery numbers. Dean already tried that.”

“No, I mean…You said the demon that killed our mothers has a plan for people like you and Kass. What kind of plan?”

____________________________________________________________
Sam’s POV.

My brother could just walk up to a girl and get her to ask him for his number. I, on the other hand, apparently couldn’t have a conversation with one without the subject turning to demons and their plans for me. Shoot me.

“I honestly don’t know.” And I didn’t, I wish I did but we didn’t even have any leads on the demon who killed mom, let alone what his plans were. Maura sighed, “I’d kind of hoped that these powers of hers were unconditional. I mean you of all people have to admit, it’s pretty handy.” I had to keep from laughing, Handy? Every time it felt like I was being shot in the skull multiple times and every time I saw people being murdered, not to mention Dean’s reaction to it. Curiously, I wanted to find out what Kassia was doing to keep her older sister cool with it.

“So, why aren’t you freaking out about it?” She just raised an eyebrow, tilting her head slightly in question.
“Her powers I mean.” Now understanding, Maura nodded and slid off the hood of her car as the door to one of the rooms opened and closed, a hung-over looking Kassia wandering towards us, though still not in earshot.

She kept her eyes focused on her sister as she spoke, “There isn’t anything I can do about it, except try my best to keep that bastard demon’s grimy little paws off her.” Before I could respond, Kassia had walked up and grunted a vague ‘Good morning’ at me before sliding into the passenger’s seat of the car.

“Guess it’s time to get going.” Maura offered a small wave before circling the car to get in, leaving me standing there as they drove off, planning on meeting us there.

I shoved my hands in my pockets and watched the black and gold Firebird disappear down the road, wondering why my brother couldn’t except that I saw thing before they happened, why he only half-ass believed me in the first place.

Speak of the devil, I heard a groan behind me and turned to see Dean looking irritated at the world in general. “Why are you standing in the middle of a parking lot…?” He didn’t even hesitate when passing me, making a bee-line for the Impala with a sour look on his face. I simply shrugged and followed him, already knowing this was going to be a very long day.
♠ ♠ ♠
Going crazy on the updates today! This is what, three in one day now?
Love you guys and love comments :)