Status: Under Construction. Posted on wattpad as "Rebels and Skeletons"

Burn It to the Ground

Knowing Has Changed The Things You've Been Through.

Maura drummed her fingers on the cheap table, peering over her sister’s shoulder to read logged police reports on the scratched up laptop screen. “We definitely have a case here.” Kassia muttered mostly to herself, sipping on one of the mugs of coffee the middle-aged waitress had brought them.
She leaned over her breakfast- a double cheeseburger, and watched as people came through the door, into the air-conditioned space, before going back to work.
“This will take what, three days?” she asked, turning her full attention to her own breakfast. Kassia shrugged, swallowing a huge bite of burger.
“Probably, maybe four. I mean there’s only one- Err..." she glanced around us at the customers, namely the males, who seemed to have their eyes glued to us. Apparently our eating habits weren‘t a turn off to them.
“One issue…” Maura nodded, trying to flag down the waitress for another cup of coffee. “I say, after this case, we hit Florida. Sun, sand and surfers.” She sighed at the last part and closed her eyes, wishing that she could teleport to a beach right then and there. But alas, when she opened them back up again, she was only greeted by fluorescent lighting and a woman with sagging skin setting another cup of lukewarm coffee in front of her. “Thanks.” She smiled and took a sip before grimacing and sliding it over to Kassia, who muttered a sarcasm-laced ‘Thanks’ right back at her. She rested her head on her hand and looked out the floor-to-ceiling windows at the rainy highway.
“How many miles to Cheyenne?” She asked. “About ninety-four.” The rain splattered against the window, seeming to say ‘ Hey, why bother doing any work today? You should just sleep.’ and it had a good idea.
Folding her arms across the table, Maura laid her head down on them and her cheek meeting the cool, wood table as thoughts of a warm bed flew through her mind.
“Go Maura, now.” Her father commanded as she held her baby sister, my three year old arms struggling with the slight weight. She raced down the hall, down the stairs and fumbled with the front door until she saw her father had left the side door open and she ran through it, out onto the front lawn. In the short time it had taken her to get Kassia out of the house, flames had spread onto the roof outside the nursery windows. Her little sister was crying, scared by the roar of the fire as their father appeared on the porch, coughing and smelling of smoke. “Where’s mommy?” she asked as he scooped his girls up and held them tightly, but Maura could not understand the look on his face, like she had just asked the million dollar question and one he could not-or did not want to-answer.
Maura woke up with a start, sweat only slightly dampening the back of her neck. Kassia, who did not acknowledge her sister's terror on her face, was enthusiastically nudging her leg to get her attention. “You’re missing the nice view.”
“What?” she asked groggily, running a hand through her hair just in case she had gotten any food in it. Kassia nodded her head towards the now clearer window and, curiosity getting the best of Maura; she peered out.
The graveled parking lot, damp with rain, was filled with parked cars. Mostly cheap, beat up ones. But there, nestled between a pick-up and a station wagon, was a Chevy Impala. The driver shut off the engine and two pieces of man candy got out, while the taller one catching Maura's attention. She laughed, “Nice indeed.”

____________________________________________________________
Sam's POV
“Man, I’m starving.” Dean announced as he slid out the driver’s seat. Sam stretched, suddenly wishing they had not voted not stop to sleep for three nights in a row.
The diner was exactly like the other thousand the Winchester brothers had eaten at: crowded and smoky, with a thin layer of grease covering everything, feeling just like home.

“Lets never do that again.” Sam muttered, referring to the three-day-straight drive, as they sat down at a booth, the seats covered in red fake leather. The faded menu did not offer much variety, aside from the basic breakfast and lunch items, so the brothers sided with pancakes and waited until the unhappy looking waitress left them alone to talk.
“Shapeshifter, huh?” Dean asked, making a point to keep his voice down. Sam set up my laptop in front of him, hoping for the gift of wifi.
“Four murders, all by convincingly innocent people. It’s a lot like that last Shapeshifter case.” Sam let out a sigh of relief as it found an internet signal. “Enough evidence to look into anyway, right?” Sam waited for a reply and, not getting one, glanced up to see his brother with his attention turned towards the table in front of them, accompanied by none other than women.
“Really?” Sam asked flatly as Dean grinned at what appeared to be the younger one of the two ladies. “Could you stay focused?”
He shrugged and finally acknowledged Sam's existence. “Well it’s not like the staff are anything to look at. But if you want to go for the cook I won’t stop you.” He gestured towards the window to the kitchen, where a balding man bent over a grill lazily. Sam rolled his eyes, closing the laptop.
“If you’re that bored, why don’t you go talk to them or something?” Sam exclaimed in sarcasm, “In fact, go hit on the whole state instead of doing your job.”
Sam was not all that surprised to see Dean get up from the table and strut over the easily distracting woman, doing exactly what his brother had convinced him to do.