Status: A One Shot.

Shadowed life.

One.

She was making her way down the path in the park. She was heading towards the underground train station. The bare trees’ branches were reaching out to her, trying to catch her, and prevent her from getting to her destination. As she walked further, the ground creaked beneath her feet. The grass on either side of the path was trapped by the suffocating, blinding white snow. Above her was a swarm of crows, flying in the opposite direction to where she was heading.

As she approached the entrance the air seemed thinner. Cold, dry air suddenly entered her lungs. From inside the station she sensed something that smelled like the rotting flesh of a thousand corpses. Fear spread rapidly throughout her body. Despite this, she continued down the underground path calmly. The walls were covered with cobwebs. Rats scuttled about across the path width in fear. Dust was raining from the ceiling above her head. Water trickled silently down the path, stalking her wherever she went and tracking her every move.

She finally reached the station. The train hadn’t arrived yet. At both ends of the visible track the tunnel ventured into a carnivorous darkness, devouring all light that dared to come towards it. She sat on the bench by the wall, patiently waiting for the train to arrive. Behind her, the paint was peeling off the wall. Shadows darted behind her, occasionally flying into the tunnel which warmly welcomed their arrival. Spiders crept in a line along the edge of the platform. They were being careful not to fall into the dark chasm of the track.

Eventually, the right side of the tunnel was blasted with light as a train arrived. Suddenly, the shadows disappeared and the spiders ran off in fear. The train doors opened and Martha got on casually. The train departed and allowed the station’s creatures to resume their mysterious, strange lives. Martha sat by herself in the ghostly, uninhabited train. The glass panels in the ceiling allowed the light to flicker on and off as they passed an opening. Time stood still as the train moved on through the tunnel.

Finally, the train stopped at her station and she got off. As the train left, it got devoured by the darkness ahead of it. Shadows sinisterly rose out of the dark chasm of the track. She headed towards the double doors which had one glass circle near the top of each of them. The newly formed shadows slowly approached her from behind. She pushed the doors open and the station flooded with newly made light. The shadows didn’t have enough time to disappear, so they dispersed into the air with silent screams of agony.

She headed up the long path out of the station. The sun was low in the sky now and it was getting late. New shadows glided out of the tunnel. They came to seek out the darkness to explore the world. She decided to go back to the school. As the sun died for the day, the black night smothered the entire town in darkness. The shadows were still silent but now were invisible as well. They glided along after her. The night was dark but was alive with numerous life forms. They were scuttling, flying, creeping or slithering around in the darkness. She couldn't help but shiver.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is a story completely different to what I usually write but I wrote it and I hope it has came out well. The reason why I decided to write this was because of a contest, like explained in the summary :}
Please comment telling me what you think so I can consider writing more stories in this style ;')