But Baby, Let's Sing Lullabies

Twenty

The sun was slowly setting, leaves crisping and falling over the bridge to settle in the water below. I was still standing there hugging Gerard, embracing each other in a hug that would take the breath from you. I knew he was sorry, I knew he didn’t mean to say what he did, and I knew that finally, we could be together again. Gerard however, I was sure he thought this was going to be the end. I needed to tell him different.

I peeled back from the embrace, took Gerard’s soft hands into mine and laced them together. I then pulled him over, the direction of the small bench that was located near the park. Once we had gotten off the bridge and onto the grass, near the bench I pulled him down, sitting on my lap. We just sat there, looking into each others eyes, hands laced together, thumbs caressing one another’s. This is how it should have been in Italy, not Gerard fucking up, not me leaving. We should have been together. I couldn’t change the past now, but I knew I could make our future.

Slowly, I brought my lips to his neck, tracing soft butterfly kisses all around. The sighed, I knew he loved this, it was the one thing that comforted him. I wanted to try and show him that I wasn’t going anywhere for the minute, I wasn’t ready to talk just yet, but my actions hopefully made up for the words. Around an hour later, we were still sitting In the same spot, myself on the bench, Gerard bunched up on my lap, hands entwined and lips together.

“Gerard?” I finally plucked up the courage to talk.

“Yeah?” he answered back quickly, I think he was afraid of what I was going to say.

“I love you” finally, I said it to him once again. I felt a wash of relief fall over me, I had wanted to say that to him the moment I had left Italy. I could tell he was smiling, but when I looked tears had formed in his magical eyes. That wasn’t meant to happen.

“Babe, what‘s up?” I asked quickly, scared of the answer I was going to get. I thought Gerard was going to be happy, I thought he was going to tell me he loved me back.

“I, just, I‘m happy Frank. Back in Italy, I really fucked up, and I thought I had messed my one chance up, that chance with my one true love. And, you telling me you love me still, that’s amazing.” he stuttered out, binding back the tears he was about to shed. But it was then that I realised, they were happy tears.

“I love you too baby. God, I‘ve wanted to say that for so long” Gerard piped up, looking directly into my eyes. I think my heart melted at that point. However cliché that is, it felt like it was happening. Try having the one person you love, the one person that makes your heart skip a beat, the one person that can break you with their words, tell you they love you, it’s the best feeling in the world. After all that had happened, I finally knew that we belonged together. The feeling of being together, being to overcome anything that comes into our paths together. I felt invincible.

“Do you forgive me?” I heard Gerard ask. I thought that was a little obvious that I did, but I knew what he was like, he needed the recurrence, he needed me to say it plain and simple. I forgave him.

“I forgive you” It was then I saw the real fire, the real ember light up in his eyes. That was all he needed to hear from me to know that everything is going to be okay.

“Everything‘s going to be okay?” He asked nervously.

“Everything is going to be fine baby. Were going to make up here, like we just did, and then were going to forget about everything that happened. Were going to go home, well to mine anyways, and were going to be together forever. Soon, we‘ll by a house? Would you like that? Well get a house and we will settle down. We could even get married baby, they do that in Canada now.” Just as I finished saying what I had to, the rain begin to fall. The heavens opened on us, and it was something magical.

Gerard smiled, a smile that I had never seen before. It was a smile to show that he was content, happy and for once looking forward to the future. Okay we had both messed up, but now it was going to be about us. Just us, nothing else. We were going to live in a selfish bubble, only caring about the two of us being happy. Because really, that’s all we needed. Eacthother.

The rain began to beat down onto us, Gerard huddled closer to me, but that didn’t stop us both getting wet. It was then that the song popped into my head. Shelter in the rain. I needed to do this, I needed to show Gerard how much he meant to me.

“Gerard, get up from me a minute” he did as he was asked, he stood there in the rain. For a second I sat there and admired his beauty. Because damn, he was stunning. I was grateful that someone like him was with me. I slowly pushed my feet into the ground. Bringing my body to stand up. I walked to him softly placing my arms around his neck. As the rain beat down onto us, Gerard placed his strong hands onto my hips, as I whispered into his ear.

“Dance with me?” My words softly falling onto his ears as my lips brushed across the lobe.

“Frank, there’s no music” he retaliated, I didn’t care, I was going to make the music. Softly, I began to sing. After a while, his hips began to sway with mine, bodies moving in sync. When I got to the part of the song, I moved my lips closer to his, brushing them against his as I sang the part I wanted him to hear.

“I‘ll be your comfort through your pain” I sang softly into his mouth.

“Ill be your shelter in the rain.” As I stopped singing, our bodies stopped moving. As we shut our eyes in time, our lips moved together, meeting in a sweet, passionate kiss. This was all I needed to survive. This was Myself and Gerard. Together. Comforting through the pains, shelters in the rain.