Change

A New Home

I woke up in his arms, and surprisingly hadn’t moved an inch. I was a pretty “ferocious” sleeper, if I do say so myself. I usually kicked and squirmed constantly. Something about Brendon was just so soothing though. I felt comfortable in his arms. I wanted to get up, but I was too afraid to wake him up, so I just watched him sleep.

I could see his eyes flickering around every now and then under his eyelids. He was dreaming. What was he dreaming about, though? I noticed a smile on his face, though. That beautiful smile of his made me smile. With everything that happened last night, I could still manage that smile when he was around.

Birds were chirping as the sun began to rise. The sound caused Brendon to move around just a little, putting me in the perfect position to get up without waking him. A part of me didn’t want to get up, but I was starving and I needed to go get some food.

I gently got up and quietly went to the kitchen in search for some food. There wasn’t much though. I found some bagels, though. I was eating the plain bagel, which I couldn’t even toast because haha, no electricity! Then suddenly someone came up behind me and grabbed my waist. For a second, I was scared shitless, but then I realized Brendon must have woken up.

“Morning… um the only food I have here are bagels… I was supposed to go get food before but um… yeah.”

He just laughed and said, “That’s fine. Did you sleep well?”

I smiled a bit and just stood there in his arms for a moment. Eventually I said, “Yeah… I think I’m gonna be okay now. Thanks.”

He rested his head on my shoulder and whispered in my ear, “Anything for you.”

I turned around to see him, and he looked a bit nervous. “What’s the matter?”

He let go of me and started explaining how his parents have no idea he even left the house. All I could do was laugh. Then I started wondering for a moment, what brought all that on last night, anyways? Wasn’t he straight just less than 24 hours ago?

“Brendon… what made you… you know… kiss me?”

He looked embarrassed for a moment, not knowing what to say. “Well… honestly, I don’t know. This whole week though, I’ve just felt different, you know? I had this weird dream about you the night after we both got called, eh… uhh, you know, and I don’t know I just…”

I stopped him with my lips, and kissed him with that same kiss filled with passion from last night. We stood there, holding each other. This time, there was no one to stop us, except for maybe the growls from Brendon’s stomach.

“You know, you should probably eat.” He looked down at his stomach and couldn’t disagree. I handed grabbed another bagel and gave it to him. “Sorry, they’re a bit stale.”

“I don’t mind.” He said as he began to engulf the bagel like it was the first time he’s eaten in days.

“Brendon… how did you know I came here?”

“Where else would you go?”

“Hm… good point.” I finished my humble little breakfast and thought I should tell him about the will. “You know, this place is actually mine now. My aunt called a while ago. She said that in the will, my dad left everything to me. It’s weird, though. She said the house was fully paid off and he had absolutely no debts. It makes no sense because we just moved here in the beginning of August, you know?”

“Hmm…” He looked a bit confused. “How the fuck did he pay off a house like this so fast?”

“I wish I knew…” I sat there thinking about it, but couldn’t come up with any answers. Honestly, it didn’t even matter anymore. It was mine now. “I just wish I had the money to pay for electric, gas, water, cable, and internet.” I chuckled a bit under my breath. Brendon just stayed quiet for a moment.

“What is it?” I asked.

“You know,” he started, “I’m going to have to talk to my parents about this. You can’t live in a house like this for much longer. It’s not like you can even afford the basics right now.”

“Is that really a good idea? I mean… I know there has to be some money left… I could just get a job and use that money and…”

He shushed my lips with his index finger. “No. Come with me. We’re going to my house. You need a shower anyways, and there’s no running water.” We both laughed a bit at that comment, but quickly left and got in his car.

“Okay, so what’s the plan, then?” I asked.

“Honestly, I don’t know.”

-Brendon’s POV-

There had to be a way to help Ryan, I mean, honestly, he can’t just sit there in that house all day with absolutely nothing to do and no basic necessities. Maybe they’d let him stay with us if they understood that.

I pulled into my driveway, and the second I did my horrendous mother ran outside in her silk pj’s, sobbing and sobbing for me. She looked like she had been in serious mental pain. I didn’t even care. After what happened last night, she wasn’t worth my pity.

Ryan was ducking down low so she couldn’t see him, and I was getting out of the car to face my mom.

“BRENDON! My Brendon!” She cried, “Where have you been?” Tears were streaming down her face and dripping at her chin. I almost felt bad, but I kept last night on my mind.

“Mom, I had to help Ryan. Last night, I found him lying on his father’s bedroom floor basically paralyzed and staring at the wall.”

She stopped crying for a minute. “You went to see Ryan? And why was he at that house, anyways? It’s not his anymore.”

“Yes it is. His dad left it to him in his will and apparently the whole thing is already paid off. Ryan said he had no idea that it was, though, until his aunt told him the other day.”

Her face twisted a little bit in confusion. “You mean to tell me he’s been staying here for days and didn’t even think about mentioning this?”

I was getting frustrated now. “Mom, listen, that house is empty. It’s almost eerie in there. And he has no money to pay the bills. There’s no electricity, no running water… He has nothing there.”

The look on her face was a look I knew well. It was a face full of anger and defeat. I didn’t even try, but she let me win. Maybe she felt bad for Ryan since she’s pretty much figured out he’s gay, so yeah, she thinks he’s going to Hell. Maybe she thinks she can “help” him or something. Ugh, religious people. Don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing wrong with religion in itself, but it’s the people, like my parents, who take it to such an extreme, that amazing people like my Ryan are looked down upon. It’s disgusting.

“Mom, can he please stay here?”

“Fine. But he has to do his part around the house. I am done treating him like a son.”

“Fine. I’ll go tell him.” I opened the passenger car door and beckoned for Ryan to come out. “Ryan, welcome to your new home.” And the biggest smile he’s ever made in my presence curled onto his lips.

“Thank you.” He mouthed to my mother, who was horrified at the way he was looking at me. I could tell she wasn’t going to handle this well.
♠ ♠ ♠
I stayed up a half hour later than I'm supposed to on school nights to write this. It's not the most amazing chapter, but I think it's an important one. I wasn't sure how to go about it at first, but I'm pretty sure I went the right way, so far.