Change

Awkward Moments

The first day was finally over. People moved out of that building faster than what I thought was humanly possible. Brendon, his friends, and I all walked slowly to let the rush of anxious teenagers have their way out first. I didn’t want to leave because I’d have to wait til the next day just to see Brendon again. Why would I want to wait?

“Hey guys, we should all hang out at my place tonight. The first day of school does in fact mean the only school day of your life without homework, right?” I loved Brendon’s soft voice. It chimed like the angels every time he spoke.

Sarah was the first to say she can’t go. “Sorry, Brennie. Elizabeth and I are going shopping tonight.”

Jon and Spencer also couldn’t go. They said something about some school club I was uninterested in. So, it was just Brendon and I. I was excited, though I’m sure Brendon wasn’t completely oblivious, and he looked a bit uneasy as he found out it’d just be the two of us.

Sarah met up with Elizabeth, and Jon and Spencer left. It was just me and Brendon. A smile turned upon my lips as he walked me to his car. “Well, I guess it’s just me and the new guy,” he says, laughing. I could sense that uneasy feeling in his laugh that I saw in his eyes before. My mood went a bit low because I knew I probably wouldn’t have a chance with him after all. “Just friends” is okay, for now, I guess.

When he started driving, everything was complete silence. Then I broke the silence by saying, “You know, you’re going to have to drive me back here later so I can get my car.”

He smiled, but didn’t answer. I secretly watched him out of the corner of my eyes as he drove. Occasionally, he’d bite his lip in nervousness. I obviously selected the wrong attire for this day. I should have stuck with messy hair and no eyeliner, but I just couldn’t help myself. We eventually reached his house and slowly entered the driveway. I unbuckled my seatbelt and hopped out of the car. “So… what do you want to do?”

Brendon stood there brainstorming for a bit, but couldn’t think of anything.

“Do you have video games or something? Food?” I suggested things, but he shot them all down. We walked through the door to see his mother cooking ribs. I couldn’t turn down a tasty plate of ribs, so we ate an early dinner at around 4:30. Awkward would be an understatement to describe the atmosphere in the room as we ate.

“So, you don’t talk much, do you?” I asked. He looked up at me and smirked.

“Sorry, I’m just thinking a lot today.”

“Ahh... I see.” I didn’t believe the excuse. He didn’t even come up with a creative one. I sat there in my chair, eating the delicious ribs, wondering what was going on through his mind. “You make fabulous ribs, Mrs. Urie.” I thought I’d suck up a bit, though. Just to lighten the mood.

“Thank you, Ryan. How do you like it here, so far?”

“It’s alright. The people are nice.” I looked up at Brendon when I said that. He didn’t seem to notice. But, overall, the feeling in the room was still awkward as hell. I wanted to leave, but at the same time, I had this terrible longing to be near Brendon. I sucked it up and stayed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's so short. I have writer's block today, I suppose.