‹ Prequel: Leave the Pieces

The Last Stand

Wear Two.

Hayley and I looked at each other, and then back at Emerald. “What?!” We screeched in unison. She opened her mouth to speak, but I held up a hand. “Wait, which one is it? Did you two forget the condom, or did you not bother with one?”

“We forgot one,” she mumbled quietly.

“We’re gonna have little werewolf babies running all over the place, aren’t we?” I asked Hayley, forgetting that we had an audience.

“I know,” Hayley agreed. “Next it’s gonna either be Jessa and Jared or Jordan and Seth.”

“Hey!” Jordon protested. “I’m not dumb enough to have a kid at fifteen.” Hayley and I turned our stares towards her. Her eyes widened when she realized what she said. “Uh, not that you two getting pregnant at sixteen is dumb,” she quickly backtracked. “You two will be amazing mothers this young, I would not.”

“Nice save,” Hayley commented dryly. Jordan chuckled in embarrassment.

“Thanks,” she said, moving herself to Seth’s side, trying to make herself seem as small as possible. Hayley and I turned back to Emerald.

“Did you not learn from us? Always wear a condom,” Hayley said.

“Wear two if you think it’s gonna split,” I added, making Hayley look at me with a strange face. “What?” She just shook her head.

“God, you’re stupid,” she mumbled, which made me punch her in the arm. “Ow.”

“Anyway-” I started to say, but was cut off by a very angry Sam.

“You’re pregnant?” He hissed out. Emerald’s eyes were wide.

“Yes,” she whispered.

“Sam, calm down,” Emily said, placing her hand on Sam’s upper arm. I could see him shaking lightly, so Hayley and I walked over.

“We’ll help her through this, just like she helped us,” I said.

“She won’t be alone in this, Sam. We have her back,” Hayley added. Sam glared at us, glared at Emerald, death glared Jacob, and then took off into the woods. A couple seconds later a loud, anger filled howl cut through the air.

“God, he’s pissed,” Emerald said, putting her head in her hands. I walked over to her, and rubbed her back soothingly.

“It’ll be okay,” I whispered.

“Yeah, Carlisle was pissed at us for a little bit, too,” Hayley said, rubbing her arms.

“Dylan! Your child just pooped!” I rolled my eyes and sighed.

“She’s your child, too, dip-fuck!” I shouted back, and went into the house. I saw Paul rocking a crying Emalie, and I held out my arms. “Gimmie,” I said. He chuckled, and placed her in my outstretched arms. “Hi, baby,” I cooed to her. “Paul, hand me Emalie’s diaper bag, please.” He left the room for a couple seconds and came back holding it.

“Here,” he said, handing it to me.

“Thanks, now watch and learn,” I said, grinning at him. He glared playfully at me.

“Thank you, oh wise one,” he said sarcastically. I chuckled, and made funny faces at Emalie making her let out gurgling laughs. I placed her on the changing mat we got weeks before, and got out a new diaper and wipes. I quickly changed her diaper with Paul watching the whole time, and when she was done, I handed the used diaper to Paul.

“Throw it away,” I said. He made a disgusted face.

“Ew.” He walked into the kitchen, opened the little lid thingy to the garbage can, tossed it in, and then closed it quickly.

“Just think, next time, it’s your turn,” I said, holding Emalie in my arms. He groaned.

Emalie started crying, and I rocked her softly while making a bottle for her. “Shh, it’s okay, baby girl, you’re okay,” I cooed softly to her over and over again until her cries were down to whimpers.

“How did you get so good at this?” Paul asked softly. I smiled at him.

“Hayley and I volunteered at a few daycare centers in Miami,” I said, giving Emalie the bottle. “Paul, she already looks a month old,” I murmured, staring down at her. “She’s going to be a toddler in a matter of days. She was only born three days ago.”

“Should we have Doctor Cullen take a look at her?” He asked; worry clouding his eyes and voice. I shrugged.

“I’ll talk to him and let him decide if he thinks he should run tests or something,” I said. “I wonder how Olivia’s aging.” We walked over to Olivia’s crib, and peered in. “Same damn thing. She looks about a month old, too.” I sighed, and walked outside to see Emerald and Sam talking, with Hayley talking to Emily. I was about to walk towards her when my phone rang. I handed Emalie to Paul, and answered the call. “Hello?”

I have some news…

*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*

I hung up the phone and let out a shaky breath. When I walked back outside, it’s like our “twin” telepathy went off and Hayley instantly looked at me. “What’s wrong, Dylan?” She asked, which caused the attention of everyone else to be on us.

“Uh,” I said first, and was mentally kicking myself when my voice cracked. I cleared my throat. “The placenta detached,” I said and everyone knew who and what I was talking about. Jacob was staring at me, wide eyed with a look of concern on his face and I could tell that it was slightly pissing Emerald off. Don’t blame her. “It broke Bella’s back in the process. They, uh, had to cut the baby out of her. She lost too much and with stress combined with the blood loss, her heart stopped.” I paused there, which now looking back, was a completely dumbass thing to do.

“So she’s dead?” Hayley asked in a whisper. I shook my head.

“They had to inject venom into her heart and all the main veins in her wrists, arms, and neck to make sure it got to her heart. She’s changing.”

“She’s gonna be okay, right?” Seth asked in a small voice. He was one of the few werewolves that actually liked the Cullens and Bella. I nodded with a smile.

“She’s gonna be fine. They’re not sure how she’s gonna respond to Renesmee though,” I added.

“When did all of this happen?” Jake asked.

“About an hour ago,” I said, and he took off. Emerald stared after him with a dark look on her face. I trotted down to her, and grabbed her arm lightly. “Come on, I’ll make you laugh,” I said.

“How in the world are you gonna make me laugh after that?” She asked. I smirked.

“You wanna see Paul try to change a diaper?”
♠ ♠ ♠
It's early cause I didn't update last week. Hope everyone likes. Comment? Message? Subscribe? Thanks! Peace, love, skittles!