Status: hiatus

Beautiful Things.

therapy and texts

"Ronnie, you in?” Her door opened, closing quietly. The girl groaned in her bed, calling out that she’d be out in a minute. Ronnie slipped into sweats and pulled on a tank top that had been painted in a few too many times, then moved to wash her face and brush her teeth. Her hair was a mess, but nothing a quick French braid couldn’t help.

The artist stepped out of her room, padding out to the kitchen and grinning when she realized Michelle was indeed there. The therapist was thoughtfully brewing coffee for her, since usually whenever Michelle came over for their appointments coffee was either being poured or was long gone with just residue in the pot.

“Me and Adele were celebrating. Won about ten grand in a competition and she convinced me to go out clubbing with her for a little while. More, I think it was just an excuse to be able to go home drunk.” Ronnie laughed quietly at the end of her statement, accepting the coffee from her therapist happily. It was practically instant coffee nowadays with one minute brews, and it was called one of the best inventions of all time among many. Michelle nodded, sipping at her own as she asked as to if Adele had spent the night.

“Yeah, ‘course. M’not gonna make her head home at some godforsaken hour just for you,” She winked lightly, making her joke clear. Ronnie reached under her counter of the prescribed cigarettes, long and white in their box. She was allowed them due to her forgetting to take her daily pills usually, and she often thought clearer when she was inhaling the smoke.

“Any issues lately?” Michelle spoke calmly, going into that professionally irritating mode that Ronnie wanted to forget about. It was easier to think of Michelle as a friend, not her therapist.

“Naw, I’ve been fine. No urges for fingers down my throat or a negative four pant size. There was the prettiest sundress the other day and it hung off of me like a sack. I’ve learned my lesson, Mich, really. You know I only keep you around for the cigs nowadays.” Ronnie slipped a stick between her fingers, rolling it lightly as she drank her coffee. Michelle laughed at her bluntness, but appreciated it. Better she was truthful then lying again, right?

“Good, m’glad. You’re less irritable when you’re eating. How’s life outside your win? Applying to the University still, right? There’s a great little nurse up there; she’ll know who to contact if you need help and decide not to carry your phone with you. I’m still proud of you, hon, even if you’re leaving me and keeping the cigarettes.”

That’s exactly what Ronnie loved about Michelle. She understood her trust and didn’t abuse it, just always ensured that Ronnie knew her options. Michelle knew how to give Ronnie room and smother her all at once, just helping her client not make stupid choices. If anything, Michelle was just a good friend, not someone that was supposed to soothe you until they were able to pick apart your mind.

“I’ve got twenty more minutes with you, don’t be dazing off on me. How was last night? You celebrate well? Meet any guys you’re crushing on?” So unprofessional, Ronnie decided, but she liked it that way.

“We celebrated plenty fine. Didn’t get too drunk or anything, just a bit of a hangover, but nothing a cup of coffee and some aspirin can’t help. The bartender was really cute, pretty nice too. Just around my age, maybe a year younger. Outside of winning? I’m probably gonna work on that mural today, even though it’ll just be painted over once I move outta here. Probably gonna try to apply for a job this weekend, and yeah, I’m still trying for the University. It’d be so amazing to get into it, really, y’know? I’ll be a certified artist and I’ll be able to work on album covers and everything and hopefully I’ll even get commissioned to do something really cool.” Ronnie giggled, knowing she’d rambled.

“And, you’ve got a job for painting a bit at a doctor’s office this week. Wednesday, I think?” Adele put in as she walked very slowly out from the guest room, rubbing her head slightly and barely keeping from hugging Michelle as the woman gave the younger a cup filled to the brim with coffee. Ronnie nodded, saying Adele was very much so correct about her work and welcoming her sarcastically back into the world of the living. They quieted, relaxing in the silence of the friends as they tried to think of something to say. There just wasn’t too much left there anymore- everything that really needed to be spoken about was done with.

Adele rested her head against Ronnie’s shoulder; affectionately, the older girl slipped an arm around to her waist to keep her upright. Second nature movements like that really did lead many to believe they were in a relationship, she knew, but she’d be lying if it hadn’t been true a while back. She supposed that the little habits and things the girls had picked up from one another were just things that was too familiar not to do.

“Alright, I’ll get going. You two can chill and do whatever you’ll need- your next appointment will be at the office in two weeks, Ronnie. I marked it on your calendar, so don’t forget.” If Ronnie forgot, it was well known that Michelle would have to hand the case to her supervisor, where Ronnie most likely would lose any chance for a scholarship since she’d be brought in for a psych analysis. Things like eating disorders now and their treatment were far more serious under this president; apparently when he’d been younger, his girlfriend had experienced one so it was a ridiculously cared for topic.

Ronnie hugged Michelle tightly before she promised she’d make the next meeting, listening as the lady left her apartment and locked the door behind her. Ronnie looked over at Adele, who was still drinking her cup of coffee, before smiling and asking if she wanted to go have another movie day before Adele went back. The younger frowned, though, shaking her head as she responded that she had to get to work. Ronnie understood, saying lightly that she’d just work on the mural. “You know where the showers and my clothes and such are; use what you need and want and it’s cool. Thanks for getting me out last night.”

Adele waved her hand lightly, laughing at her friend and responding that it had been her pleasure. Ronnie waited until she heard the shower going within her room before pulling out her phone, looking at the most recent text.

(727) 685-2910
hey u up? its nate.
♠ ♠ ♠
number is fake, just so you know. don't try texting it 'cause it might be an old guy.
anywho, surprise update~ I really don't have a schedule to my updates, but yeah.
there might be another one today, depending on when i go return my jeans XDD.