Let Them Speak

Chapter 1- Addison

Blood. Fear. Twisted metal. Sirens. Screams. All of this developed around me as the car was slammed into from the front. It felt like the world was closing in on me. I heard muffled screams and something that sounded like snapping.

Before I knew it, the car was flipped over, some parts scattered about. I was upside down, dangling from my seat belt. I took me awhile, but I found the button, pushed it, and fell downward. I landed on the shattered glass of all the windows. For my understanding, I could feel a large, bleeding cut on my forehead and my arms was no doubly broken.

But, honestly, I didn't care about that. I was worried more about my parents. I screamed for them, but refused to open my eyes. I crawled forward slightly, and didn't like what I saw.

My mother's detached head.

At that moment, police sirens rang in my ears. I reached for my mother's head, but as it was finally in my grasp, the police pulled me out. The police officer quickly had me on a gurney, but I struggled against the straps that restrained me.

"Mom! Dad!" I screamed, thrashing my body wildly. Then, something came over me and my heart stopped- litterally.


And that's when I woke up. Another nightmare. Every night, I was drawn back to the car crash where me and my parents died. But, I was the only one who had been returned. While I wanted to get up, the memory of being dead came rushing back.

Suddenly, I was in what seemed like a court room. I was behind a counter like thing, while three large, shadow people stood in front of me. The seemed to be yelling at me. Then, their mouths open and green gas leaked out, swirling it's way toward me. It wrapped around me tightly. When I tried to scream, the gas just went into my mouth and I woke up in the hospital.

I shuddered. I hated both of those memories. It seemed just like when living again was possible, they came up, dragging me back down. That, and the fact that I see the dead. Hey, we can't be perfect, can we?

I sighed and finally got up. I showered quickly, and straightened my long dirty blond hair. Then, I went to get dressed. I slipped my pink colored contacts on, but put my black sun glasses on. Then, I slipped on some tight, black jeans. I wore a white and gray striped v-neck, but put on a baggy gray hoodie over it, put in my iPod head phones, then pulled on my hood. My usual outfit.

I exited my Aunt Harmony's apartment with great haste. I didn't live that far from school, so walking was how I got to school. I was less than halfway there, when I felt my best friend, Haven, not far behind me. Every since my "resurrection" I've had an understanding of the shadows around me. I could walked around with my eyes closed, and know what everything-and who everyone- was, all because the shadows had told me.

"Hey Haven." I said, obviously foiling her plans to surprise me.

"I can't wrap my head around how you do that!" She laughed. I never told her about my abilities, and I felt like it was the right thing to do. I laughed and I turned off my iPod, slipping the small thing into my hoodie pocket.

"Just a lucky guess." I laughed. Haven was dressed how she usually was as well. Haven had light blond hair with pink highlights, that hung well past her shoulders. She wore a lot of eye liner and straightened her hair. Her eyes were a light blue-due to her contacts. She wore a skin tight graphic tee with white skinny jeans. Along with the skinny jeans, was a bright yellow tutu.

"Can you believe it?" She asked, spinning around in a circle. "It's already October!"

"Yeah, ten months since the accident." I muttered, but she clearly didn't hear. I sighed and kept walking, not really focusing on Haven, not until we marched into the school parking lot.

"So, you gonna try out for the school play?" She asked. I used to be in theater and all that, and I still sort of am. But, I'd gotten withdrawn after the accident. I truly wanted to be an actor/singer and I had all the talent, I know I did. But, now, if everything going on? It seemed like an impossibility.

"I'm not sure. Maybe." I gave her a short smile, before turning my iPod back on, and started to listening to one of my favorite band, All Time Low.

You got me poppin' champagne,
I'm at it again,
Caught up in the moment,
But not in the right way,
I'm caught in between,
Tearin' up at the seems,
We're just aimin' to please,
And the-


I dimmed the volume as I entered my first call- Advanced Literature of the Mind. It was one of my favorite classes because it was one of many I got to take with the Juniors-even though I was a sophomore. I like showing off how smart I was, I guess.

I took my headphones out, but didn't bother to take off my sun glasses. It seemed that if I wore these, ghosts talked to me less, like they couldn't see that I could see them. I was completely lost in thought when I sat at my table with three junior boys. Two, I weren't very familiar with, but the other, I was.

It was Darryn Phillips. Our teacher seemed to always put me and him together as partners for some unknown reason. I guess, he was an okay guy, but he was to cocky and arrogant, if you ask me. He was the most popular guy in his grade and had every girl at his feet. He got everything he wanted and it bothered me a little.

"Today, you will work in partners," the teacher began. "Addison and Darryn, you will be partners." He said, putting a worksheet down on our table. Great. I was stuck with spoiled, rich boy again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Mrs Gey, who is so amazing as to help do this story with me. Thanks. The song mentioned, is Poppin' Champagne by All Time Low. sorry this chapter wasn't exactly long, but it was more of an introduction to Addison and his life. Please keep reading. Thanks! =]