Status: Active :) All chapters are already written up.

Mansions to Maths Class

Three

Chapter 3

"What 's done is done".

William Shakespeare,

Macbeth, Act III, Scene II


"Do you two understand the severity of your actions?" Father shouted angrily at Lucifer and I. We were both sitting in front of our father, who was pacing back in forth, his face red in anger, "Do you even realise the consequence your little 'stunts' have on your elder brother?"

"You have only mentioned them a couple of thousand times, but I don't quite think it's sunk in yet. Perhaps you should repeat it one last time, just so Ella and I never do it again." Lucifer muttered sarcastically.

I think that almost sent our father over the edge. No jokes, it almost looked like he was frothing at the mouth.

"Don't you be smart with me, boy," He scolded, before pacing away. He started talking again, but more to himself this time, "I have no idea where we went wrong in raising those two. The first one came out so perfect! What in God's name where we thinking when we decided we wanted more children. We never taught them to behave like that. I have no idea where they even learnt those behaviours, they have never taken a step outside the manor, and we most did not encourage those kind if actions. Why could they not take Daemon as a role model? Maybe our luck ran out. Maybe we used up all our luck with Daemon, he's extraordinary, then there was no goodness left over for the twins. Maybe that is why we ended up with two of Satan's spawn..." He trailed off, looking into space.

Okay, that kind of stung... A lot.

I always knew our parents preferred Daemon to Lucifer and I, but to compare us to Satan's spawn? Man, that was tough. We weren't that bad.

I jumped as the thick, wooden doors swung open and our infuriated mother marched through then, stalking over to her stout husband.

"I can not take a moment more of their insanity! I have already made contact with Ash. She says it's fine, and she will take them." Mum all but screamed. Who the hell was Ash? Did I know her? The name sounded vaugly familiar.

"That's Mother's younger sister, Ella. Remember, she's on that painting in the green room. She's ten years younger than Mum, that might help your memory." Lucifer hissed at me, guessing the reason begins my curious face. I nodded, remembering now, who Ash was.

Ash Mortimer was our mothers younger sister. She lived out there. When I say 'out there', I really mean it. She's not just past the dark forest, she's not even in the Azure district. She's past all that, out in the real world... The city.

If Lucifer and I were being sent to live with her, that could only be an improvment from our current situation, couldn't it?

"Are you sure Esmeree? Is that not too extreme? They are, after all, only children!" Mortis protested in vain to his wife. Esmeree might seem like a bit of a ditz most if the time, but when she had her mind set in something? Well, you had better step back and do what the woman says.

"No. They want to start playing a grown ups game then they have to follow grown up rules. It only seems fair. They are just spoilt. So very spoilt. It is our fault, really, for letting them get that way." At least mother finally realised that Lucifer and I were no longer children, although, in this case, I am not quite sure that was a good thing.

Mortis let out a sigh, obviously letting into his wifes demands, "Okay. When do they leave?"

I felt large, cold hand envelop mine. I looked across to see Lucifer clutching to my hand anxiously.

"It's okay, Luc. We'll be perfectly fine as long as we're together," I murmured too quietly for any one else besides Luc and I to hear. He nodded slightly, but he was quite obviously still worried, anxiousness clouded his fair eyes, "And besides," I added, "Isn't this what we've always wanted? To get out of this God damn castle? We'll be free, Luc, free!"

Lucifer nodded, looking a little better. I grabbed and squeezed him in a tight half hug.

But internally, I wasn't nearly as confident that I tried to make Lucifer believe. Truth be told, I was maybe a little worried myself. The city was a big place, full of big, scary things that Luc and I had never encountered before. Hell, we had never even taken a step outside the manor! We had no idea what to expect, what to prepare for. It was all new, uncharted territory. What if we messed up?

I took in a deep breathe. I needed to calm myself before I became hysterical, and that would not help in preventing Lucifer from worrying.

Lucifer and I would be just fine. There was nothing we couldn't cope with. We could take on, try, then conquer anything.

We were the Everwood twins.
♠ ♠ ♠
Massive thanks to Phoenix Risk Black for commenting!

So so far, this story has seven readers, one subscriber, and one commenter. Which, I admit, is better than it was yesterday, but still... A girl can dream right?