Once Upon A Night’s Sky

Chapter 1 - Liam McGregor

Image

As Liam McGregor looked upwards it was hard for him to imagine a night’s sky where only stars and the moon alone shone.

He knew from history books from lonely images hidden away in his parent’s attic that it had indeed once been that way. It had been beautiful and unnervingly still all at once. A startling contrast to the glare of red and gold sparks that now filled the night’s skies.

Liam had only ever known the sky that lay out before him. The idea of a silent, still sky seemed nothing but a faraway dream of a time where the earth had once been at peace, unknown to the rest of the universe.
It had been a long hard 300 years since the earth had first been discovered.

It was said to have started with peace. When the earth first made contact with life forms from outside our universe communications between species had been greatly accepted, the earth welcomed visitors to our world with open arms.

Earth was innocence, naive.

It was said that both greed and jealous had been seen in the Riordan’s eyes as soon as their species had landed upon the surface of the earth.

The Riordan’s world, translated through Latin as Petra was a terrain of nothing but pure grey rock surrounded by one deep memorizing red sky. Liam had never seen this himself but he knew in time there would be no doubt he would.

To the Riordan’s earth was a beauty only compared to earth description of heaven. With its richness of different terrains and range of such curious species from humans to elephants to humpback whales that roamed our many oceans, the Riordan’s had never laid eyes on such a magnificent sight. A sight they felt they must undoubtedly have.

War was undeniable and at once Earth realised their mistake. Defending the earth was put into action and War had come, worse than they could ever have imagined.

The first hundred years were said to be the worst. Though Liam’s memories of his old history classroom were hazed with sleep and a constant smell of aging books he could never forget the passion and belief Mr Wallace Shared as he had taught his subject. Liam had never forgotten the day he had learnt the history of the great battle from above, the tales of the night’s sky, he would never forget Mr Wallace’s words.

In one of the greatest yet most devastating moments in all of earth’s history countries came together to protect and fight for a common goal the one shared love of their entire existence. Earth’s countries blurred as casualties became uncountable. It was this moment that had shaped and moulded Liam’s fate in life 200 years before his mere existence.

Everyone between the ages of 21-45 were ordered and drafted to defend their world be it them taking to the skies or helping to sort out the mess below.

Over the next 100 years earth’s resources, technologies and battle strategies continued to improve until final 200 years into the battle earths defence battle became one of an equal attack.

Within secret the Space and Training centre had been created upon the surface of the moon. The position of the moon allowed training within space yet allowed the station to stay both in contact with the earth and keep an eye on the battle further out in deep unmarked space.

Neither earth nor the Riordan’s wanted to destroy the world within the process of war, it would benefit neither side.

It was with this steady and structured improvement in the earth’s battle process that the rule of all 21 year olds fighting for their country changed to the first male of every family. Understandably there were exceptions.

Not every family bore a male to their name. In these cases if a male was not born to a family by the time the oldest female turned 21 she would indeed take their place. Of course voluntaries of both sexes were highly welcomed and fought after. War was not only conflict but involved a large range of different jobs.

Liam had never had this freedom of choice. Though the red and golden lights had always intrigued Liam growing up it wasn’t until the age of 11 that he finally learnt their true meaning. The once colourful night’s sky became sinister and daunting.

They had been a familiar recurrence in his nightmare yet as Liam had grown they faded to few and far between. As Liam aged he grew to accept his fate. He would serve his family name, his country, his earth, as the first born son of the McGregor’s he would fight in outer space for his world’s survival.

“Mr McGregor your taxis here,” Pushing his elbows in the hardened soil Liam rolled up onto his palms pushing them down into the dirt as he rose to his feet.

Liam had been given a week’s notice after his 21st birthday before he had been told to report to his nearest recruitment station. The first few days had been spent in a blur of numbness, he had known it had been coming, he had spent his life living towards this moment but the notice had still hit him with unbelievable force. He would never be ready. He had said his goodbyes sooner into the week then later he couldn’t handle the enviable moment hanging over him and had wanted to get it out of the way as soon as the letter had arrived.

He had spent most of his nights much like tonight watching the night sky wondering if he would be a light in that sky sooner or later. It was a sobering thought one that had haunted his mere 21 years of life.

When the horrors of the nights sky were hidden during the day Liam would explore the familiar sites of his Scottish home for who knew if he would ever be back to see them once again. He had spent more time walking the lonely town’s roads in the last week than he ever had in his childhood.

Brushing off his jeans Liam stood tall as he took in the pub before him. He had spent many family gatherings here over the years and had never liked anything more than escaping into the local’s garden finding an empty patch of grass and just watching. It would be sad yet in some ways refreshing to say goodbye to this place.

Picking his small yet compact rucksack from the floor Liam took the side gate out onto the main road, unable to walk through the walls of the pub once more. He had already said his goodbyes. Pushing his way through the gravel path he set his sights on the rusty yellow taxi stopped stationary on the opposite side of the road.
He knew his next stop would have to be the recruitment centre his days of freedom were fading.

As close as he knew the nearest recruitment station was as he continued to climb into the back of the old tattered taxi. He couldn’t risk walking the distance the urge to run for the lack of choice in his life was almost unbearably.

“The recruitment centre,” Liam stated simply throwing his bag in before him as he swiftly followed sinking into the leather material with tired ease. The taxi driver looked at him before nodding shortly turning back towards the road

“Good for you son,” the taxi driver praised quietly starting the ignition of the cab with a slow whine. He was middle age slowly greying with a strong Scottish accent. It eased Liam slightly. Though he’s own accent was hardly as strong his Scottish roots were still very much clear and this comforted Liam, he would always have a little of home with him.

Trailing his eyes from the driver he let his mind wonder slightly as the blurred image of the dimming street lights misted his window. Every now and then the light would allow him to catch a glimpse of his reflection through the glass. Sighing silently he let his eyes close.

With his average height of 5’10 and soft features he knew he had somewhat of a baby face but what he lack in facial structure he had always made up with his taunt figure and pricing blue eyes. Liam had always grown his hair out just that little bit longer then his mother had ever like so it swept framing them in a mix of hazel and chocolate locks. He had, had his fare share of female attention. He worked hard to keep in shape and he liked to think he had the body to prove for it.

Though none of this seemed to matter, no one wanted to start a relationship with a guy who would undoubtedly leave in the end. Meaningless fun was all Liam had ever had and it had never been enough, it never would.

As young as Liam was he knew he wanted a family. Yet as he let his self conscious sway to the motion of the taxi drawing him closer to his destination he knew this future would be as hard to reach as the dream of peace.
♠ ♠ ♠
The first few chapters are going to be introductions to the characters and the history behind the story so bare with me. Hope you enjoy it :D