Once Upon A Night’s Sky

Chapter 8 - Liam McGregor

Image

Laim had never really liked the take off during a flight. Don’t get him wrong it was some thing he could live with, but taking off from earth was a sensation he did not want to repeat any time soon. The grips of his arm rests still held the indents of his fingertips. He let his head roll back against the soft material of his head rest as he felt the shuttle begin to level out into a steady path.

As Laim looked towards his fellow recruits he could see similar expressions of relief fading from most as they to made themselves more comfortable within their seats. He was sure that was an experience no one really got used to. He fully thought the staff who did this weekly deserved more credit then they were given.

Taking a deep breath Laim tried to even his breathing to the steady pace it had once been. Though Laim himself knew that take offs were an experience he did not enjoy he was sure to any other memeber of the recruits he had looked as indifferent as he had before their flight.

Laim was good at appearing calm.

Laim’s family was far from small. With three older sisters, three brother in laws, four nephews and three nieces, Laim had been through his fair share of crazy, hectic experiences. Being the youngest of the family growing up had landed him with the job of guaranteed baby sitter. If being an uncle and looking after young children alone had taught Liam anything it was to never show your fear. The moment they notice your panic is the moment all hell breaks loose. It was the point the tears began to fall and the screams start.

Laim had learnt that lesson the hard way and he had never made the same mistake twice. Showing your five year old niece the panic in your eyes went she holds up her broken wrist had not been the way to go. It was common practical to Liam to seem calm now, even in situations where he really didn’t feel it, it had become almost routine to him now.

“We are now approaching the port, base yourself for impact,”

Liam corrected himself within his seat as the pilot’s voice called out over the speakers. Looking up he met the eyes of the fiery red head before him. Her piercing green eyes were watching him with curiosity as Liam’s repaid the favour. There was something so familiar about the girl, but he couldn’t quite place it. He watched as a light blushed rose to her cheeks under his stare before turning towards the only window the rectangle room held.

A shallow breath passed through Laim’s lips as he took in the view. Even through tinted glass it was something quite spectacular. Though he wished he could see earth from this height that was a view that would have to wait as his eyes strained to take in the entire man made structures created upon the surface of the moon.

In the centre of the incredible sight was the training centre. In fact it wasn’t really that much different from any other training facilities or building structure you might find back on earth but its surrounding enviroment and proctective glass dome made it seem like some kind of fortress. Liam thought if he pushed aside the real reason for its exsistence he would have been able to call the view something of beatuy.

The only building Laim could match it to back on earth was the Eden Project. Though he had never visited the once plant based sanctuary the building itself reminded him of a much smaller down verison of what his eyes were scanning to take in now. It really was something quite breathtaking.

Turning, the shuttle slowly veered to the left moving away from the view of the training centre as it headed towards the docking bays. The shuttle would infact never touch the surface of the moon, it would only attach to it’s landing bay situated 75 metres from the ground before unloading. From there Laim expected they would exit the shuttle and board another mode of transport to take them to their next distination. He secretly hoped it would be their cabins. After the trip he had just experienced Laim had the urge to lay down.

The docking itself was hardly noticeable, if he hadn’t of been paying attention to the view from the window or the slowing speed of the shuttle laim expected he wouldn’t have known they had arrived at all. He hoped all his furture landings were as smooth as this.

Looking at the recruits he could see through his obstructing harness he tried to figure out who might be their future pilot. He knew it wasn’t himself that was for sure. Laim was quite naturally good at most things but flying wasn’t his strongest point. In fact Laim wasn’t entirely sure if he had a strongest point. He was a jack of all trades but a master of none. When it came to being placed Laim wasn’t entirely sure what position he would be given. He suppossed it would be left down to the skills of his fellow recruits, their abilities within the team would on the whole effect his own.

“Good afternoon recruits,”

Laim’s head shot around at the sound of the commanding voice to be met with the imposing figure of the officer who had greeted them aboard the shuttle eariler this morning. Standing within the doorframe he moved further into the room as to be viewable to all recruits.

“My name is Officer Traven and I will be the officer in charge of you for the next two months,”

Liam sat up straight in attempt to take in his commanding figure from a better view. Proudly he wore the uniform they would all in turn wear. In almost all black a jacket covered his arms with the colour of grey baring the shoulders and pocket. Underneath he wore a fading white shirt completed with a thin black tie. Black trousers covered his legs, tucked tightly into a pair of dominating black boots. The only real colour to the uniform at all was the badge hand sewn onto the outer breast pocket of his jacket. It proudly signified his ranking, where their own would later signify the name and ranking of their ship.

“For the last two weeks you have all been put through a series of tests and as a result of their outcomes you as a group have been placed together as a compatible team” Traven announced as Liam’s eyes wondered once more around his fellow recruits sat on the opposite side of the shuttle to himself. Three out of the seven he had counted on the way in, through his harness they were the only members of his team he could see.

“A crew normally consists of a team of eight and in your case seven...”

“Seven were a man down before we even start, plus we have three females on this shuttle, three, that’s above average. Are you trying to send us to our deaths?” a heated voice fumed cutting off Traven in outrage. Liam strained his head to try and catch the male who had spoken, as did most others. The only aspects of the male Liam could catch from further along his row were the coffee coloured strains of his hair. Yet the piercing blue eyes of the girl sat one across from him spoke volumes. At once Liam recalled the almost arrogant laid back figure he had first passed on his way to his chosen seat.

“Mr Dewhurst if I’m not mistaken?” The officer asked in a tight smile as he turned his attention towards the far corner of the shuttle.

“Yeah,” The recruit answered in a nonchalant voice that automatically told Liam this boy was going to be trouble. It was in no doubt that Liam knew no one in their right mind would make this boy their captain.

“No we are not trying to send you to your deaths, in fact this team is one of the most promising ones we have seen in a long time,” The officer admitted much to both Liam’s and recruit Dewhurst’s surprise. “Yes it is correct that your team members are made up of a higher than average number of female recruits but this has no effect on the rate of your survival.” The recruit let a short scoff escape his lips as the red head sat up straighter in her seat opposite Liam.

Taking a step closer to Dewhurst still harnessed form officer Traven lowered his voice as the beginning of angry entered his voice. “You are manning a shuttle recruit Dewhurst. You are not fighting this battle with your hands and body. At your beginning rank having a dick does in no way effect your rate of survival but being a dick just might!” Silence filled the shuttle as a bright smiled spread across the lips of the red head before me as the blued eyed girl smiled softy beside her.“Do you understand?”

Liam couldn’t help let a small smirk cross his lips as the soft echoes of “yes sir” begrudgingly filled the shuttle. It pleased Liam to know at least this boy knew when he had lost his fight. It crossed Liam’s mind that maybe this recruit knew how to pick his battles.

As stereotypical as it was Liam would put money on Dewhurst being a street kid, a proud one at that. Yet Liam knew from experience that every street kid was a troubled kid and every troubled kid grew into an angered and self sufficient adult. This recruit would be no good in a team. Street kids grew up fighting on their own and most stayed that way. He really couldn’t imagine this boy working with them. Liam really did feel for the member of their team who would have to become their leader. They were going to have a hard time dealing with this one.

“During the two months that you will be at the training centre I will be over seeing your training and progress and in the end I will choose your position within your team. How well you succeed as a team will also affect your overall ranking and finally your ship. The higher you rank the better your way of life. It’s simple if not fair.” Traven concluded once more facing the entire room. In all Liam did not think it was entirely fair but he knew there had to be a system to have structure and structure was essential to survival within the skies.

“As soon as their ready for us to depart from the shuttle a fellow recruit will show you around the training centre before showing you to your cabin. This is where you as a team will get used to sharing living facilities.” He paused to look around the shuttle.

“If you have any question please direct them to the recruit who will greet you shortly. In the mean time I ask that you use this opportunity to introduce yourself to each other. Together you will become a team and together your team will become something like a family to you out here, no exceptions,” he branded taking one last look at Dewhurst before leaving the room once more.

Laim could feel the awkward tension building within the room in the silence it had become since Traven’s exit. Slowly the sound of machinery warming up started to edge into the room as the harnesses surrounding each one of them began to lift. Gradually the equally anxious faces of his fellow recruits started to come into view.

Liam eased a smile across his lips, he always was the one to introduce himself first.
♠ ♠ ♠
I’m so sorry for not updating all I can say is that life kind of got in the way or college did, but its ok because I finally finished. There is no more course work now until i go off to university in september, so I have tons of free time to write, write, write. So hopefully that will mean I’ll be updating regularly.

I’ll put another chapter up later I just have to proof read it and check for any mistakes before I post it up.