Serendipity.

Athena - The Who.

“Athena?”

I turned my head from the brilliant morning sunshine, to face my ex-best friend, Carmen.

I say ex-best friend… We were extremely close for almost fifteen years, Best friends, we did everything together…

It’s then that she stole my boyfriend from me.

I’m sure it wasn’t her original plan, but when they finally admitted that they’d been sleeping together for three months while Harris and I were still going out , needless to say I was a little bit irritated.

More than the original irritation was the fact that they were having sex, while I was still a virgin.

“Athena…”

“What, Carmen?” I spat.

“I know you’re still a little bit angry about me and Harris, so to make it up to you… we were wondering if you’d like to come on a double date with us? Our treat?”

I bit my tongue harshly, preventing the stream of curses from exiting my mouth.

“Actually, Carmen… I think I’ll pass.”

“We can find you a date…”

My hands curled into fists, as I whispered through gritted teeth, “No, I’m alright thanks.”

“Sweetie, there are plenty more fish in the sea… and Harris and I are so in love, you have to understand…”

My fingers tingled with anger, as I tried to control myself.

“Trust me, I do understand.”

I walked away from her, heading for the bathroom, where I began to rinse my boiling fingers in cold water.

I didn’t understand… every time I got angry my fingers were scalding hot, but I wasn’t an aggressive person, not at all. I was calm and rational most of the time… but Carmen and Harris, they angered me to such an extent that it scared me.

I guess it’s purely coincidental what happened next.

My eyes rose to face myself in the mirror, and something on the toilet door behind me caught my eye.

“Do you ever feel angry? So angry that you fear yourself?
Are you usually a calm and collected, rational person?
Do you feel like you’re alone in your problems?
If so, please attend;
Θεός

Theos - The Self Help Group.

I traced the familiar lines of the Greek word with my index finger. I recognized it from somewhere, but where?

I quickly scribbled down the date of the meetings on a tissue in my bag, and left the loos quickly, ignoring Harris and Carmen as I walked out of the building.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is new.

Please comment.