Status: First Contest Entry EVER: Won 2nd Place

Shake Up Christmas

Shake Up Christmas

"You know, I still don't get why I'm the one who's forced to wake up at five in the morning," Matt yawned as we stepped out of my blue Beatle. We stood at the shore of Huntington Beach, the gray waters still calm at five in the morning. It was a ridiculous idea to drag Matt awake at five in the morning on Christmas Day, but I wanted to spend just a few hours with just the two of us before the sun would be out when I would officially give up on Matt. Thirteen years ago, the first time I realized my crush for Matt was during Christmas, when I secretly wrote a letter to Santa wishing for Matt to see me more than a friend. It was my dream and secret to be able to have a romantic relationship with Matt. Not even my friends nor his knew about my unrequited love for Matt. But I've decided to end it as a secret this year. Why this year? Probably because Matt and I were growing farther apart. He was a famous rock star, while I was just a worker at a small massage clinic where only senior citizens attended daily. He would be able to get any girl while I probably wouldn't be able to get even the guy I like. Turning twenty-two a few months ago, I just knew I had to face reality. There was no way I would be able to get a fairytale ending with Matt.

"Hello, you still there?"

I stared at the large hand waving in front of me. Grinning sheepishly, I gave it a high-five. Matt smiled too as we sat on the sand.

"So, why are we here this Christmas morning," Matt asked as he sat Indian style on the sand while I sat with my knees tucked under my chin.

"Because... because... I felt like it," I exclaimed childishly as I smiled at Matt. He chuckled as he ruffled my dark brown hair.

"But we could have done this on New Years instead of Christmas," Matt pointed out, but I shook my head.

"We'll hang out at the beach and stay up watching the sunrise on New Years with the whole gang knowing ahead of time," I stated. For some reason, Matt seemed to frown for a second, but quickly hid it before I could question him.

"So just the two of us today then," He asked.

"Yup, just the two of us. Hope you're okay with that. Although, I have to admit too. I'm not some drop dead gorgeous model to see first thing of the day," I joked, but Matt shook his head chuckling.

"No problem. You're gorgeous enough,” Matt commended, melting my heart instantly. It hurt to know that this was all just a friendly gesture coming from Matt, there were no further meanings from his sweet words.

"Thanks," I mumbled as I stared at the barely visible horizon between the sea and sky. I frowned slightly as not even a tint of orange seemed to appear at the line.

"Wait, Lydia, you do know that the sun doesn't rise until six-thirty right?"

I stared at Matt's hazel eyes with my eyes wide open and my mouth puckered in an "O" shape. Immediately, Matt started laughing his head off, slapping the sand with one hand while he clutched his stomach. I pulled on the hood of my hoodie to hide my blushing face. Why hadn't I even thought of checking what time the sun rose? I just knew it would rise at five during the summer. I thought the time would be the same all year round, especially since Huntington Beach didn't have snow during the winter.

Finally, Matt stopped laughing, and I stared at him with a pout. "It's a good thing that I'm not Zacky or Brian. They would've murdered you for making them wake up an hour and thirty minutes early from sunrise," Matt chuckled. I shuddered, knowing how hard it would be to wake both guys up and how grumpy they would be the whole day. "TGIM," I stated, nodding. "Thank God It's Matt."

"Yes, yes. I hope you have a great Christmas present for me, Lydia. I'm your fucking angel today. Anyway, what do you want to do since we still have an hour to waste?"

"Uh... how 'bout twenty questions," I shrugged.

"Sure, why not," Matt chuckled as he spread out his denim covered legs on the sand. I mimicked him, spreading my own legs out and staring at my worn pair of charcoal converse.

"So first question... are you going to Zee's Christmas party today," Matt asked. I raised an eyebrow as if to tell him facially "duh". Realizing his mistake he quickly added, "With a date."

I rolled my eyes. "Matt, through the two years we've done this Christmas party at Zacky's, when have I ever brought a date?"

"Uh... just once with that Ernie guy," Matt pointed out with a slight tone of disgust, which I might have been imagining.

"Okay... no that Ernie guy was not my date. It was the guy, Mel, wanted me to meet because she felt bad for hooking up with Brian and leaving me single. I guess being single on Christmas is sad, seeing that even Jimmy can get a decent girlfriend," I huffed more to myself than to Matt who was sitting beside me listening. "And even you had a girlfriend," I pouted. Matt held his hands up as if to surrender. "It wasn't my fault. You should've told me. I would have gladly been your date."

"Yeah, right. Don't try kissing up to me, my friend. You, two, looked quite cozy together," I snorted.

"Well that's because she was my cousin," Matt reasoned, blushing as I stared at him with my mouth open. I nearly forgot to close it as I mouthed, "seriously?"

"Yup, seriously. I didn't have a date, so I used my cousin," Matt huffed, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Hmm... and this year? Do you have," I asked curiously.

"Nope. Shall we go together?"

I would have nodded in a heartbeat, but I quickly stopped myself. I couldn't or there wouldn't be any point in trying to give up my feelings for him. "I... I think I'll go single again," I stated, averting my gaze away from Matt.

"Why?"

"Uh...because..." I mumbled.

"Because?"

"Look it's the sun rise," I pointed to the horizon. As Matt glanced at the black horizon, I quickly stood up and ran away as far as I could go. But of course running away from Matt is like a deer running away from a cheetah. One word. Impossible. Matt quickly caught up to me and grabbed my wrist.

"Why not?" He breathed. For the first time in my life, I saw Matt with hurt in his beautiful hazel eyes.

"Because..."

"Yeah because what?" Matt urged, keeping a firm grip on my wrist.

"Because I..."

But before I could continue, something unordinary happened. I don't know if it was my footing or maybe Matt lost his balance or maybe the ground tilted, but Matt and I ended up on the ground, lip-locked. I gasped, quickly trying to get off of Matt, but Matt had his hand in my hair and he gently placed my lips back on top of his again. "Matt?" I breathed as we ended our kiss, my lips tingling and yearning for his lips.

"Hmmm?" Matt sounded as if nothing happened as he sat up with me straddling his hips.

"Uh... what..." Once again, Matt interrupted me, placing a finger to my lips. If this was a dream I didn't want to wake up.

"Sunrise," Matt stated, pointing to the orange-tinted sky. I gasped in awe as I stared at it. It was fucking gorgeous.

“Well, Merry Christmas, Lydia,” Matt grinned as the sun slowly made its way up into the sky. I found myself sitting on Matt’s lap as we stared at the sunrise, his tattoo covered arms wrapped firmly around my waist.

“I don’t know why you want to go single again this year, but as a repayment for waking me up at five in the morning, you’re going to be my date,” Matt whispered into my ear as the sun was fully up. I leaned back into Matt’s chest and let out a sigh.

Oh the things Matt seemed to do to me. Once again, I was stuck still love-struck on Matt. But this Christmas, we walked back to the car with our arms wrapped around each other’s waists like lovers.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Dear Santa,
Thank you.
Love Lydia
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay. The story is slight... okay maybe it's fully crappy. But I'll just say that this is my first time making a oneshot. Hopefully people will like this. :) Merry Belated Christmas!!! And Happy New Years to all. It's almost 2011!~