Fade Away

Prologue

Maika Haini Maile. 6’1” with black hair that falls over his bright, brown eyes. He has one of those perfect smiles that sends half the girls at Maddon High into speechless trances. Everything about him makes people crave his attention. He’s funny, sensitive, caring, and the perfect student. He’s flawless and confident. Maika knows what he wants, so naturally, he goes for it. And usually, he gets it. He’s the energetic type; all lean muscle after years of football and weight training.

More than that, he’s my twin brother.

We look exactly alike, except for the fact that I’m a girl. So take the image of my brother that I just painted, subtract two inches from his height, and lengthen the hair. That’s me. Taryn Jaycie Maile. But looks are the only thing my brother and I have in common. I’m sorry, that’s a lie. Maika and I have everything in common, which is just how Mom and Dad wanted it. They wanted twins that could be each other’s best friend. And we are best friends. Most of the time.

Like most siblings, Maika and I fight. A lot. We have such a mutual personality but we rarely agree on anything. We always find something to argue over. Whether it’s me leaving the box open so the cookies get stale or him not listening to my suggestions, we just fight.

But even though we fight a lot, we can get along too. Those are my favorite times. Times when it’s just Maika and me and no one else around. We just don’t get these times a lot. As a little (by ten minutes) sister, it’s my job to keep up the arguing. I have to make sure there are very few brother/sister bonding moments. It’s simple really. The less bonding we do, the more productive it is when we do bond.

I’ll never forget the day several years ago, when Maika carried me home after I’d broken my ankle. We were twelve and I had tried to impress his friends by attempting a trick on Christian’s skateboard. But I could barely skate a straight line. I tried the trick anyway, not even coming close to landing it, and instead landed on my foot with a sickening crack. That was one of the first times I’d seen Maika look scared. Have you ever known someone who always looks strong and composed? Like nothing can ever affect them because they are just that much better than everyone else? That’s the way Maika always is. So when I saw him truly scared that day, it scared me, too.

Now let me say that every single thing I just said ceases to exist. Maika is missing. Or at least, that’s what the authorities say. Missing; possibly even dead. The very idea would tear me apart if it weren’t for one small detail. I know Maika isn’t dead; I can feel it. Besides, I was the last one to see Maika. In my opinion, Maika is perfectly fine.

If you stay with me, I’ll share my story with you.

I’ll tell you why I think my brother ran away.
♠ ♠ ♠
So this is the start of Fade Away. If you have anything you'd like to share about it, please comment. I will be posting the first chapter either later today or tomorrow. This is kind of short but then again, it's the prologue. I just wanted you all to get a feel for Taryn and a little bit of background.