Landon's Surpise

1/1

Gazing up at the brightly lit Christmas tree, Landon smiled. There were no other times like the holidays, especially Christmas and he always tried making the most out of the yuletide season. He let out a yawn and looked at the clock that was on the mantle. He frowned when he read the digital digits that said 10:30. Landon had been up all day wrapping presents for his girlfriend, Macy, to come home from work. Just as he stretched out his long legs to lie down on the couch, Landon heard the front door being opened and someone storm in.

“Hey Landon,” Macy chirped. She took off her velvet scarf and placed it on the kitchen door. She ran a hand through her thick red curls before sighing. “I’m sorry it took so long for me to get off of work today. I don’t even know why people even go shopping Christmas Day. It’s a little stupid I think.”

Landon smiled at her before sitting up on the couch. He scooted over and allowed Macy just enough room to sit beside him. “Don’t worry about it Mace,” he mumbled as he kissed the top of her head. “The only thing that matters is that you’re here right now.”

She turned around and almost busted out in laughter. “I see you painted your face for the occasion.”

He chuckled. “I got bored baby. Spending Christmas alone is not fun, trust me.”

“Don’t think about that,” Macy said. Her doe eyes were full of warmth and compassion. “We still have an hour and half to make the most out of Christmas.”

“That’s true,” Landon said with a thoughtful look on his face. “Anyway, let’s get down to business!”

“Presents!” Macy exclaimed with. Her curls bounced and she clapped happily. “I’ll never get too old for those.”

Landon laughed as he got down from the couch. He got on his knees and began scooping up Christmas presents. He came up after a minute or so with his arms full of presents. “Have fun opening these, Mace.”

She looked at him and joyfully smiled. Just as she grabbed the first present she abruptly stopped.

“Is something wrong?” Landon asked nervously.

“No.” She shook her head and shyly smiled. She bit the bottom of her lips and blushed. “What’s that in the back pocket of your pants?”

Landon froze. He felt his face turn hot and suddenly the lights from the tree were blinding. He blinked his eyes a few times before rolling up the sleeves of his plaid shirt. “Oh that? It’s, uh, nothing Macy. It’s just my pants…. You know?” He finished lamely and with a gulp.

“You’ve always been a terrible liar.”

“Macy!”

“Landon!”

“Come on baby. Don’t do this right now,” Landon pleaded. He pushed the large stack of presents toward his girlfriend. “Why don’t you open these up?”

“I want to see what’s in your pocket Landy,” she cajoled. “Please!?”

Landon sighed. Macy only called him by his nickname when she really wanted something. Deciding that it was now or never. “Okay Macy. Don’t let the red headedness in you come out.”

She stuck her tongue out at him. “Landon, I just want to see what it is. It’s not like it’s a bomb or anything.”

Landon lifted up from the floor and swiftly grabbed the mysterious item from his back pocket. He sat so close to Macy that their thighs were touching. He looked up at her and smiled once again.

“Your nose looks like Rudolph’s,” Macy said with a giggle.

“Way to break the ice,” Landon said. With those last few words, he pulled the object into his lap, ignoring the gasps coming from Macy. He slowly opened the small velvety box and handed it to Macy, whose eyes were shining with jubilation. “It’s a promise ring baby. I promise to be with you forever.”

Macy’s brown eyes filled with tears as Landon slipped the beautiful ring on her family. “It’s perfect,” she whispered.

“Just like you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Merry late Christmas! <3