Status: Active

Boys Don't Cry

Cheshire Cat Grin

“You’re back!” Rogue exclaims as she takes me in a big hug. “Thanks, Logan.” She flashes him a smile and he smiles back.
“No problem, darlin’.” Logan walks away with his hands in his pockets, obviously contemplating.
“I’m so happy you decided to come back!”
“Yeah, well, your friend has a way with words.” I say holding back a smile. Rogue’s face lights up like a Christmas tree before I realized what I said and what it sounded like. “No-I didn’t mea-“She grabs me by the arm and pulls me to the side, eyes dancing.
“Do you like Logan?!” She whispers excitedly.
“Na-uh-I just met him-he-uh-don’t do this, Rogue.” My cheeks were becoming very flushed and Rogue was ecstatic.
“Okay, don’t tell me until you really do. This is so exciting! I hope he likes you! It’s about time he liked someone other than Jean.”
“Wha-he likes the red headed bitch?”
“He’s smitten! But none of us like her, though. She’s not good for him. But you are!”
“Okay, okay. First off, I’m only 19. He’s like, 33.”
“Yeah, but age doesn’t matter!” Rogue had a point. She knew she did, too. “Gotcha.” She smiles. She had indeed got me.

Natalia, I need your presence in my office right away.

“Shit.” I mumble.
“What?”
“You didn’t hear that?”
“Hear what?”
“Xa-nevermind. I have to go to see Xavier.”
“I’ll take you to his office.”
“No, thanks. I wanna try to figure things out on my own.”
“Okay, shuga!” I walk away from Rogue and try to find my way to Xavier’s office. I take the corner where I remember seeing the hidden elevator when I realize I’m still wearing Logan’s jacket he put around me outside. I pushed the warm fuzzy feeling away because I don’t fall in love. No one could ever possibly fall in love with a girl like me. I find the hidden elevator and get in it. It takes me up to Xavier’s office where he and Jean sat. Is she always up his ass?
“Natalia, sit.” I take a seat farthest from Jean and slump down. “As you know, you have powerful abilities-“
“Cut the shit and tell me why you called me here.” Xavier looked a little stunned at my remark, but he continued anyway.
“Fine then. Ms. Grey and I need you to sleep in the laboratory tonight so we can monitor your sleeping.” I look at both of them in disgust.
“Why the hell kind of school is this?!”
“You have a very powerful ability where you can control what people do in their sleep and we need to observe your sleeping habits. And with you and Logan having the same abilities, you are probably going to have horrible nightmares-“
“How do you know about my nightmares?” Xavier had an impish smile on his face.
“You obviously don’t know my powers.” He grins.
“Fine. I’ll sleep in the damn laboratory.”
“Good. You can contact me when you’re ready to sleep.”
“Does this mean I can go?”
“You may leave.” I get up and glare at Jean. She quickly looks away, averting my eyes. I get in the elevator and chuckle to myself. The elevator gets to the first floor and I get out.
“What’s up, lady Wolverine?” I turn around to see John, Bobby’s friend, behind me leaning on the wall lighting a cigarette.
“Excuse me?”
“Just thought I’d give you a nickname.” He said taking a drag from his cigarette.
“If I have a nickname it’s going to be one that describes me. I am my own goddamn person. Do NOT associate me with other people and don’t you dare call me that again or I will rip your balls off and make you eat them.” I turn away from John, fuming. The nerve of these people! I stomp my way to the kitchen. Maybe they have beer. I highly doubt it, but it’s worth a try. As I’m walking to the kitchen I notice there’s not a lot of people around. I look at a nearby clock and it’s 9 o’ clock at night. Pussys. I get in the kitchen and see Logan sitting on a bar stool. I was tempted to turn around and walk out, but he saw me.
“Where ya goin’?” He asks in his normal gruff voice.
“Nowhere, I guess.”
“Take a seat.” He says and pats the bar stool next to him. I walk over to the stool and sit. “Want anything?”
“Nothing you have here.”
“Try me.” He chuckles.
“I highly doubt you have any ounce of alcohol on this campus.”
“You’d be wrong.” He smirks. I look at him with a pleading look.
“Well, are you going to tell me where it’s at?”
“Are you gonna ask me where it is?”
“Fine.” I scoff. “Where’s the alcohol, mister?” I ask in a 1920’s New York accent. He laughs and gets off the stool.
“Follow me.” I get off the stool and follow him down the halls as he looks out for any administration. He takes me down the long hallway and we come to his door. He opens it and pushes me in quickly. “Sorry,” he says while shutting the door silently, “some kids here can disappear and you never know who’s watching you in this place.”
“Geez, that’s comforting.” I say rubbing my arm. He disappears into his closet and I take a seat on his bed. He comes back moments later with a case of beer in hand. No idea what kind it was, but I didn’t care. I reach my hands out for a bottle when he takes it from me.
“I’m sorry, ma’am. I’m going to have to see some ID.” He says in a snooty upper-class accent. I give him the death glare from hell and he takes the cap off and gives me a bottle. “Lighten up.” I take a long drink before pulling the bottle from my mouth.
“Sorry. I’ve been so tense since I got here. All I’ve heard is, ‘You’re just like Logan!’ ‘You two would get along great!’ And it’s pissing me off. I am my own damn person, ya know?” He nods his head in agreement as I vent. “I’ve known who I am for a long damn time. The last thing I need is for somebody calling me ‘Lady Wolverine’ I-“
“Who called you that?”
“The douche who loves fire. Bobby’s friend.”
“John.”
“Yeah, him. I don’t like ‘im.” I say as I take another long guzzle. He hands me another while he’s still finishing his first one. “Enough with me. What about you? What’s your story?” He takes a long drink from his beer before he answers me.
“From Canada. Don’t really know about my past. Kinda blurry.”
“Yours, too? I can’t remember anything past my 16th birthday. So for three years I’ve been in a fog.”
“Try being in one for 16 years.” He says icily while staring at the wall. I look at him and he looks like he doesn’t want to talk about it anymore.
“Here, I’ll change the subject, what’s your favorite color?” He looks at me funny and takes another drink.
“What kind of question is that?”
“One that deserves an answer.” I smirk. He looks at me and smiles.
“Blue. Like your eyes.” There was an awkward moment where he stared into my eyes before I broke the stare.
“I think that’s the booze talkin’.” I say wearily. He looks at the bottom of his glass and then back up at me. “Well, I should go. I have to sleep in the laboratory tonight.”
“Why?”
“They want to ‘monitor my sleeping habits’ or some bullshit like that.”
“Good luck, darlin’.” I get up and start to leave his room when I turn back to him. “Thanks.”
“For what?”
“For understanding.” I smile at him and he tries to hide a smirk. I turn back around and realize I’m still wearing his jacket. “Oh, this is yours.”
“Keep it.”
“Really?”
“Yeah, I have loads of ‘em. Now get outta here, kid.” He smiles. I leave his room quietly with a grin on my face the Cheshire cat would be jealous of. Too bad the feeling is going to fade once I see Jean’s face.
♠ ♠ ♠
I really like this chapter. We see Wolverine and Natalia's relationship start to bloom.