Ignorance Is Bliss

Chapter Five

Two weeks later

Gerard's POV

Going back on tour with somebody you think has a crush on you has got to be the worst idea ever. For the last two weeks I had avoided Bob like the plague, my excuses becoming more and more ridiculous.

"So, um, Gerard, you take care of that embarrassing medical problem you wouldn't tell any of us about?" asked Mikey with a slight smirk on his face. He knew exactly what was going on.

"Yeah, I did, thanks Mikes." I shot him a scathing look across the table.

"And that court case you had to give evidence in?" asked Frank.

I clenched my fists under the table and simply nodded.

"And that ghost you had to meet?" laughed Ray.

"That's enough guys!"

Bob looked genuinely upset. He picked moodily at his food, not eating any of it, just shifting it around his plate aimlessly.

He knows I'm avoiding him, and he knows why...

An extremely awkward silence filled the bus' tiny kitchen area. I nervously fidgeted with the hem of my shirt, not knowing what to say now.

Frank broke the silence by letting out a loud belch, then a high pitched giggle.

"I'm out," said Ray, hurrying away from the scene of Frank's burp and towards the television, which he flicked on and dropped onto the couch.

An apologetic look flicked across Mikey's face and then he too rose from the table, walking towards the bunks and disappearing from view.

"Well, I hate to be a third wheel," said Frank, walking away and joining Ray watching TV.

I glanced at Bob. His eyes were fixed on the table. I held my gaze but he didn't look up. I reached across the table and grabbed his arm, then pulled him into our cluttered makeshift studio, closing the door behind us.

"Bob, I know whats going on. I'm sorry. I don't feel that way about you." I shouldn't be lying to him like this...

He was silent for a few moments, then looked up at me.

"I understand," he said, his voice slightly higher than usual.

"This wont affect anything in the band will it?" I asked tentatively.

"'Course not," he said in the same, higher pitched voice.

"So we're OK then?"

"Yep."

After a few more moments of awkward silence I spoke again.

"Uh.. OK, well, I guess we'll just forget about it then?"

"Guess so," he said and walked from the room without another glance at me.

Shit.