Fighting Fate

That stupid werewolf.

The sand was cold beneath her bare feet, but she ignored her discomfort. She needed to get away from Sam- she hated him for what he had done to Emily. Actually, she hated almost everyone in Sam's pack. Quil, for imprinting on Claire; Jared, because he was a total ass; Embry, for being Jacob's lapdog; Leah, for being such a bitch... And Jacob. Especially Jacob.

Hunter had come to La Push to visit Emily for the first time since Emily had gotten hurt. The instant Jacob had laid eyes on her, he'd imprinted, and she'd gotten the truth. But not from Jacob. He refused to accept the imprint, and did everything he could to ignore her existence, all because of Isabella Swan. He thought his love for her was stronger than the imprint. Hunter wished it was.

"Hunter," Seth's voice called. Seth was one of the few she could stand, because he was so young, so innocent. He was also the nicest. "I'm sorry Jake's never around. He's just trying to protect Bella."

"And pretend that my existence is as false as that of the Loch Ness Monster," Hunter sighed. "Don't apologize for him, Seth. He's made his choice. I'll go back to New York in a few weeks, and it will be like I was never here."

"You're wrong," said Seth, running a hand through his dark, cropped hair. "The imprint, it's permanent. You'll always feel as though a string is pulling you to him. And if you leave before he at least tries to be with you, he'll regret it for the rest of his life." He sighed, a loud, heavy expulsion of air. "None of us would be able to live with that. The agony of letting go of the love fate gave him would destroy him."

"If he knows this, why is Bella his only concern?" Hunter scowled. "I know he loves her, but you would think the imprint would make that insignificant."

"We thought so too," Seth muttered under his breath, but she still caught it. Sighing, the boy wrapped an arm around her shoulders. "It'll be okay, Hunter. He'll come to his senses eventually, you'll see." He paused for a moment. "I hope." He ruffled her long brown hair, then led her back to Emily's house. They walked in a comfortable silence, his arm around her shoulders, hers around his waist. His warmth was calming, and kept her from freaking out when she saw Bella's truck in front of the house, Jacob and Bella leaning against the front bumper. Jacob's eyes narrowed when he saw Seth's arm around Hunter.

"What is she doing here?" Bella and Hunter scowled at the same time.

"Oh, that's rich," Hunter spat as Jacob began to yell at Seth for "being all over his imprint." Growling, Hunter forced her way between the two boys. "Stop it! Black, leave Seth alone, you have no right and no reason to be mad at him!"

"You're my imprint, and he has his dirty paws all over you!" Jacob snarled, beginning to shake.

"Hunter, get in the house," Seth growled. Snorting, Hunter stayed where she was, feeling the heat and anger radiating off of both boys' bodies.

"So I'm only your imprint when someone else tries to talk to me? Jesus, what would you do if someone actually had the nerve to hug me?" she muttered. She wasn't scared, but she knew she should be, with Jacob so angry and so close.

"Jacob, stop!" Sam yelled, but it was too late. Jacob shook once, twice, and then, right where he was standing, there was a large, russet wolf, claws dangerously close to Hunter's face. In one swift move, Seth grabbed Hunter's arm, threw her behind him, and phased. Paul caught her, arms locking around her.

"Seth, don't!" Hunter yelled, but the wolves were going at each other, blind fury in their eyes. "Stop it! Please! He's just a child!" She ducked out of Paul's arm and threw herself between the two wolves, arms outstretched, as if she could hold them apart. Jacob, in the middle of a lunge toward Seth, saw her and tried to stop, but he barreled straight into her. Hunter was thrown a good five feet away, landing on her back. All the air rushed out of her lungs as she hit the ground.

"Hunter, you idiot!" Paul snapped, scooping her up and carrying her inside. "You do not get in the middle of a wolf fight!" He set her down not-so-gently on the couch, then ran back outside. She heard the tear of denim as he phased.

"Are you all right?" Emily asked once Hunter had caught her breath. Nodding, Hunter sat up, almost screaming as pain shot through her side. "Oh, great. You probably broke a rib. Wait here." She went out onto the porch. "Sam, we need to get her to the hospital. The idiots might have broken one of her ribs." At that sentence, the fighting stopped, and Seth and Paul immediately phased back. Jacob, however, let out a howl of agony and ran into the forest.

"I'll go after him," Embry said, then looked over at Bella. "You should probably go home." He then ran after Jacob into the trees.

"I should go home? I'm not the one causing trouble," Bella muttered, yet got into her truck and left. Scowling, Hunter watched her leave. She hated that girl, hated the hold she had over Jacob.

"I'll be back soon, love," Sam whispered, pressing a gentle kiss to Emily's lips, and then to her scars. "Come on, Hunter, let's get you to the hospital." Wincing, Hunter got up and followed him, knowing this wouldn't be the last time she'd be hurt by that stupid werewolf.
♠ ♠ ♠
first chapter. comment, subscribe, you know the drill. (: