Fighting Fate

What the hell.

"I hate you," Hunter yelled from the bathroom, where her head was stuck in the sink, trying to rinse the peanut butter out of her long hair. "I hate you so much."

"Feeling's mutual, sweetie," Jake called back, toweling down his hair. He'd used the kitchen sink to get the peanut butter out of his own hair- it had gone quicker, his hair was shorter. "Need help?"

"No," Hunter replied unconvincingly. "Not from a childish werewolf who thinks a peanut butter fight is the answer to an awkward situation." Ignoring her, Jake went into the bathroom, laughing when he saw Hunter bent over the sink, struggling with a huge clump of peanut butter.

"Do you mind getting your clothes wet?" he asked, shutting the door. "If you do, feel free to strip."

"Pervert," Hunter muttered, standing up. Chuckling, Jake turned on the shower, gesturing for Hunter to get in. Groaning in complaint, she complied, stepping under the hot stream. Jake followed, standing behind her to start working the clumps of peanut butter out of her hair. "This is the second awkward position we could be caught in today."

"So?" Jake responded, tossing some peanut butter into the trash. "Let them think what they want. It's merely a friend helping a friend get peanut butter out of their hair." They fell into a comfortable silence, the occasional thud of a bit of peanut butter hitting the trash the only noise. Jake marveled at the girl in front of him, wondering how he got lucky enough to imprint on a girl like her. He didn't deserve her, at all.

"Done playing with my hair yet, creep?" she broke his reverie, turning her head to look at him.

"Oh, yeah," he said, shaking his head, forcing the urge to kiss her out of his head, detangling his hands from her hair. "All done."

"Thanks, friend," she smiled, stepping on her tiptoes to kiss him on the cheek again. It took all her willpower not to move a few inches to the right... "Come on." She allowed Jake to set his hand at the small of her back, steadying her so she wouldn't fall as she stepped out of the shower. He followed, reaching into the cabinet and pulling down two towels. He handed one to Hunter, using the other to dry himself. Once dry enough, Hunter cracked the door, peering out into the hall. After a second, she motioned to Jake, and they stepped out casually, parting ways to find dry clothes. Hunter pulled on a pair of sweatpants and a long-sleeved white shirt, pulling on knee high socks- one striped in red and purple, the other checkered in black and white.

"You don't like it when your socks match, do you?" Jake's voice from the doorway made her jump.

"How long have you been standing there?" she demanded, turning to face him. He grinned sheepishly. Too long, she decided, frowning.

"Since you put the shirt on. Nice back dimples," he responded, smirking. Hunter rolled her eyes, picking up her wet clothes and tossing them in the hamper. "So I was thinking..."

"I thought I smelled something burning," Hunter said, flopping onto her bed. Jake faked a grimace, sitting down beside her.

"No, seriously," he replied, picking up a strand of her hair and twisting it in his fingers. "You're going home soon, and as your new best friend, I think you need to see La Push. Really see La Push. There's more to do here than get attacked by vampires and werewolves, you know."

"All right," she agreed after a moment. "I'm yours all day tomorrow. But if I don't have fun, I'll be forced to revoke your title of best friend."

"You'll have fun, don't worry," Jake said, grinning. "I gotta go patrol, see you tomorrow." Before he could stop himself, he pressed his lips to hers in a brief kiss, before standing and leaving.

Hunter watched him go, fingers rising to touch her tingling lips.

What the hell was that?