Fighting Fate

Going home.

One. Two. Three. Three knocks on the door, then another four.

"Hunter, what's the problem?" Jake called, frustrated. He'd promised to show her around today, but she wasn't coming out of her room, and the door was locked. "Hunter, I won't leave you alone until you tell me what's wrong!" He started pounding on the door again, and almost hit Hunter in the face when she wrenched it open.

"You. You're the problem," she spat, trying to shut the door again, but Jake forced himself inside before she could.

"How am I the problem this time?" he asked, shutting the door and standing in front of it so she couldn't leave. He had an idea of what the problem might be, but he didn't speak. He wanted her to tell him.

"We just became friends yesterday," she finally yelled. "And you pull a stupid stunt like kissing me? Not cool."

"I'm sorry," he said, inhaling deeply. "Is that what you want to hear?"

"No," she replied, glaring. "I want you to say it will never happen again."

"I can't say that," he said sadly, looking at his knees.

"Fine," Hunter spat, shoving him out of the way and opening the door, storming out of the house. She shivered as the cold air hit her bare legs. She was only wearing shorts, a t-shirt, a large hoodie, and her Converse. She was not dressed for the rain that was pouring down outside. She pressed on though, not stopping until she reached the beach, where she found a cave in the side of the cliff to sit in and think. She sat cross-legged at the mouth of the cave, watching the rain.

This was just like when she'd first come here. She hated Jake then, she hated him now. It was time for her to go home, time for her to leave La Push for good. Her mind made up, she stood, going back out into the rain, which she stood in, eyes closed, head tilted to the sky. The wind was blowing her hair around her face, but she didn't care. She finally felt at peace, and nothing could change that.

"I'm going home," she whispered, smiling. "Finally going home."

---

Jake watched Hunter, and even over the distance, his ears picked up her whispered words.

"I'm going home," she said, and he barely caught her smile. "Finally going home."

He felt his heart break at those words. She was going to leave La Push. Leave him. And he'd never find love again. He was an utter failure. He couldn't make Bella love him, and he couldn't even make his own imprint love him. Before he knew what he was doing, he sprinted down the beach, grabbing Hunter by the waist and pulling her tight against him. His lips found hers, desperate, hungry. The kiss was heated, fierce... and completely one-sided. She wasn't responding, she just stood there.

"Please don't leave," he whispered, his voice anguished. "Please."

"I have to," she replied. "There's nothing for me here." She stepped out of his grasp, turned, and walked out of his life.

Forever.
♠ ♠ ♠
I actually thought about them having the fight on the beach, but this chapter just seemed to write itself. Haha.

Don't worry, it's not over yet. (:

Hunter's outfit.