Fighting Fate

Five hour hell.

Light up, light up, as if you have a choice... The soft music playing from her iPod couldn't drown out her phone, which was ringing from the spot she'd thrown it to, on the floor across the room. She'd meant to change her number, so no one from La Push could contact her, but she couldn't say no to Seth. She answered every time he called, and the most recent call had been the worst.

She'd been crying, but tried to stop the instant she saw Seth's name on the caller ID. He didn't need to hear her cry. So she'd sucked it up and answered the phone, trying to sound cheerful, but most likely failing.

"Hey, Seth," she said, settling onto the couch with the phone pressed to her ear. "How are things?"

"Not good," he admitted. "Everyone's pretty bummed out. But Jake's the worst. He only leaves his house for patrol." She flinched at his name.

"Tell Sam to kick his furry butt," she suggested. "Speaking of, do they have a date for the wedding yet?"

"Not yet," Seth replied. "The newborn fight hasn't happened yet, so they're waiting for that to be over with before they set a date, because nobody knows when the newborns will be here." There was a howl in the background, which sounded urgent. "I have to go, Sam's calling us. I'll talk to you later." They hung up, and that was the last she'd heard.

And now, her phone was ringing, and she was blatantly ignoring it. Seth only called the house phone, and there was no one else she would talk to right now. After a while, the phone stopped ringing, and she rolled over, facing the opposite wall, turning her iPod up.

Because it's two in the morning, and I'm feeling so ugly. I've got this chip on my shoulder, keeps my eyes spread wide open.

---

The next thing she was aware of was sharp pain shooting through her side. It felt like her bones were being crushed.

"Jake," she whispered. She had to get to La Push, now. She hurriedly dressed, then ran out, grabbing her car keys. Her arm jerked as the pain spread through it, and her keys fell to the ground. She had to bite back a scream as she bent to retrieve them. She remembered the call to her phone yesterday and pulled it out, surprised to see Edward's number. But it wasn't his voice in the message.

"Hunter. Hi. It's Jake. The fight's tomorrow, and in case I don't make it, I want you to know that I love you."

The message almost made her burst into tears, but she had to get to him. She turned on the car and pressed the gas pedal to the floor and sped to the airport. She was surprised she didn't get pulled over.

She almost ended up in a ditch when the pain shot through her again, but she managed to control the car. She parked illegally, but she didn't care.

Jake. She had to get to Jake. She jumped the line, biting back another scream.

"Please. I need the soonest flight to Seattle. I'd wait in line, but it's an emergency," she begged, tossing a wad of money on the counter. The lady behind the counter rolled her eyes, but handed her the ticket. She rushed through security, and got to the gate just as the flight was boarding.

The next five hours were hell. She spent most of it doubled over, trying not to scream as pain continued to stab through her right side. As soon as the flight landed, she was on her feet, running from the plane. She didn't care if this wasn't allowed. She had to get to Jake.

The only question was, how. She didn't have any money left, she couldn't rent a car. The answer came in the sight of a bright yellow Porsche parked in front of the airport, a small, dark haired girl leaning on it.

"Took you long enough," Alice Cullen said, gesturing her over. "Come on."

"How did you see me coming? My decision involved the pack." She couldn't make herself say Jake's name.

"Please. That decision was made weeks ago. I saw you deciding to buy the ticket, just before you felt Jacob's pain," Alice responded, pulling the car away from the curb. The drive down to La Push went by quickly, due to Alice's maniac driving, and soon she was in front of Jake's house, staring at the rest of the pack.

She flinched as she heard a scream of anguish from the house. She leapt out of the car, and Alice left. The pack didn't even acknowledge her. She went over to Seth, whose eyes were clenched shut, his face pale.

"Seth," she said, grabbing his shoulders. "Seth, what happened?" They both flinched as another yell was heard.

"It's bad," Seth whimpered. "Leah found a stray, thought she could play hero. So Jake... Jake jumped in, and it got its arms around him. The bones on the right side of his body were crushed." Another yell, then silence. Hunter turned to Billy, who was clutching Sam's hands. His eyes were watery. But then again, so were everybodys.

Hunter reached for the door, but stepped back as Carlisle came out.

"How is he?" she asked, holding her breath.

"I had to rebreak his bones," Carlisle answered, frowning. "So he's in a lot of pain. But I set up a morphine drip, so maybe that will help. But his body temperature will burn through it fast." Nodding, Hunter stepped around him and went inside, hesitating in front of Jake's door.

Taking a deep breath, she reached out and turned the doorknob.
♠ ♠ ♠
:D

Songs featured in this chapter:
Run by Snow Patrol
Withered by Atomship