Fighting Fate

I don't like cats.

It turned out that Hunter had two broken ribs and one bruised rib. The ride back to Emily's was silent, with Hunter swearing every time they hit a bump. Sam was sullen, he knew the memory of hurting Hunter would haunt Jacob for the rest of his life, even if there was no permanent damage, or lasting scars. Being in his head was not going to be fun.

Hunter was livid. She absolutely loathed Jacob, loathed being his imprint. She didn't want any of this, especially the danger that came with being in a relationship with a werewolf. She didn't want to be like Emily. She didn't have the strength to be like Emily. She was leaving, tonight, and that would be the end of it.

"Please don't leave," Emily whispered, sounding sad. "You haven't visited in years."

"I don't want to be anywhere near Jacob," Hunter responded. "He's a fucking prick, and imprint or not, he doesn't want me around, and I definitely don't want him." Sam winced at those words, now it would definitely suck to be in Jacob's head.

"Then stay for me!" Emily pleaded. "Please? At least until you heal?"

"Fine," Hunter sighed, she was hopeless when Emily began to beg. "Sam, I expect you to keep Jacob as far away from me as possible."

"I can't take away his free will, nor can I ban him from Emily's house," Sam replied, his grip on the steering wheel tightening. "Speak of the devil..." Jacob was sitting on Emily's porch. Before Sam could stop the car, Hunter leapt out and stormed up to Jacob, ignoring the pain in her side. While her five feet was nothing compared to his six five, she looked terrifying.

"I want you to stay as far away from me as geographically possible without leaving Forks because your dad will kill me if you run away," she spat. "I don't care about the fucking imprint, I hate everything about you and I'm leaving as soon as the ribs of mine that you broke heal."

"But you're my imprint," Jacob protested, a spasm of pain crossing his face.

"It's funny how you have this moronic wolfy claim over me, yet I can't compete with Bella," Hunter mumbled, shoving past him. He grabbed her shoulders. "Get your hands off me."

"Wait for just a minute," he pleaded.

"Get your hands off her, Jake," Seth growled, coming out of the house. "You've done enough damage. I suggest you respect her wishes and leave her alone." The kid pulled Hunter out of Jacob's shaking hands and led her inside.

"Thank you, Seth," Hunter murmured. "That's twice you've saved me."

"You know you don't need saving," Seth chuckled. "You're badass enough to save yourself. Just... not when it comes to Jake, apparently. I had to stop you before you pulled a Bella and punched him in the face."

"Bella punched him?" she asked disbelievingly.

"Yeah. After Sam took you to the hospital, Jake went home. Apparently Bella was waiting for him. He confessed his love, kissed her, and she broke her hand," Seth explained. Jealousy shot through Hunter's heart, and her eyes narrowed.

"So she doesn't want him, but she doesn't want anyone else to have him?" she seethed. "Selfish bitch." Seth laughed, ruffling Hunter's hair.

"Someone's jealous," he teased.

"Shut up before I break my hand punching your face," Hunter muttered under her breath. This made Seth laugh harder, so hard the couch shook. "Whoa there, kid, calm your tits."

"You are a strange girl, Hunter Young," Seth chuckled. "I think I like you."

"You're too young," Hunter laughed. "Though if I ever decide to be a cougar, you'll be the first to know."

"I don't like cats," Seth wrinkled his nose.

"I don't either," Hunter agreed, giggling. "I'm more of a dog person, obviously." The two friends fell into another fit of laughter, until a loud techno song interrupted. "Hold on." She pulled a phone out of her pocket. "No, Aaron, I'm not coming home today, or tomorrow, or the day after that, or even yesterday for that matter. I have to stay in La Push for a while, I don't know when I'll be home. Bye." She hung up without letting her caller speak. "He's called me every day since I got here, asking when I'm coming home. My life is just full of unwanted romantic attention." She tossed her phone into the crack between the couch cushions. "I'm actually thinking about changing my number, Aaron's getting on my last nerve."

"Who's Aaron?" Seth asked, curious.

"My best friend Eli's twin," Hunter explained. "I love Eli to death, but her brother is so ridiculously in love with me, I want to punch him in the face."

"Oh God, sounds like he and Jake would get along perfectly," Seth laughed, leaning back on the couch. Yawning, Hunter leaned against Seth, head on his shoulder. "If you're going to sleep on me, you might want to take that jacket off." Grunting, Hunter threw her leather jacket to the other end of the couch, straightened her purple tank top, and settled against Seth's side. "Night, Hunter." Slowly, the girl fell asleep against Seth's comforting warmth.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hunter's outfit

comment/subscribe, you know the drill. (:

sorry it's so slow-going, i'm still hammering out ideas for this.