Fighting Fate

The waiting game.

He stared down at his imprint, tears streaking down his cheeks. His fingers curled into fists. He hated himself for what he'd done to her. She didn't deserve this, didn't need someone as fucked up as him. God, why couldn't he just get over Bella already so he could devote himself to this beautiful girl? She deserved better, someone who wouldn't hurt her at every turn.

Sighing, he turned to leave, but stopped as a soft sigh left the lips of the girl behind him, followed by a word. One word, that stopped him dead in his tracks.

"Jake..."

He went back to her bedside, sitting on the low chair next to her.

"I'm here, Hunter," he murmured, grasping her hand. "And I promise you, I promise, I'll never hurt you again." Kissing her hand gently, he set it down, then turned and left, phasing once he hit the front porch.

It was time to go somewhere far away. Somewhere where he couldn't hurt his imprint.

---

"I'm worried about Hunter's safety, Sam," Emily murmured, staring down into her coffee mug. "Every time Jake's around her, she gets hurt. I don't want him near her."

"I'll talk to him when he comes back to the rez," Sam told her, reaching across the table to grasp her hand lovingly. "Don't worry, Emily. Hunter's almost family to me. I'll protect her."

"Thank you," Emily whispered, walking around the table to kiss her fiance on the lips. "Now shoo. The pack will be here soon and I haven't started cooking yet."

"All right, love," Sam chuckled. "I have to go somewhere, anyway. I'll see you when I get home." He pressed another soft kiss to her lips, then to her scars, before leaving. Outside, he stopped, hands on his hips, and exhaled slowly. "Now, time to deal with Jake."

---

Three sharp raps on the door lifted Hunter from her stupor. She sat up gingerly, calling for the knocker to come in. Sam came in, wincing at the smell.

"How are you?" he asked, sitting next to her bed, just as, unbeknownst to her, Jake had last night.

"Just fine and dandy," Hunter scowled. "Considering I can only see out of one eye, I'm scarred forever, and I'm in a house of vampires that would rather eat me than take care of me. Can I come home?"

"That's why I'm here," Sam grinned. "I spoke to the doctor, I'm allowed to take you home today. I can't promise Jake won't be there, though. I meant to talk to him, but nobody can find him." While he was talking, Hunter had slid off the bed and put on her shoes, anxious to go. She'd been here almost two weeks, and the place was starting to feel like a cage.

"Come on," she said, skipping out of the room. "I'm ready to get out of here. And honestly, I'd like to never come back." Sam followed, chuckling at his almost-little-sister's antics. She could be so childish sometimes. They made it outside before they were intercepted by Edward.

"Jacob's gone," he said, staring past Hunter to Sam. "He left last night after visiting Hunter. He'll be in Canada by now, most likely. He didn't have a direction in mind when he left, but that's the direction his scent is going."

Gone? Jake left? Hunter didn't understand. Why would he leave?

"He thought if he left, he couldn't hurt you anymore," Edward said apologetically, turning his gaze to her. "But there was something else in his mind. Not a thought, persay, but a thread. Millions of them. All of them pulling him back here."

"Edward, this is the only time I'll ask a favor of you," Sam told the vampire, biting his lip. "Please drive Hunter to Emily's. When I phase I'll tell the pack you have permission to cross the border. I'm going after Jake."

"Of course," Edward agreed. "But I don't think it will take too long for him to turn around and come back. The pull of the thread was too strong." Nodding, Sam phased, a large black wolf taking his place on the lawn.

"Sam?" Hunter asked, standing in front of him. "When you find him, punch him in the face for me, will you?" Making a weird noise, which sounded like a laugh, Sam licked her arm, then ran off.

"He said to tell Emily he's sorry, but he'll be back as soon as he can," Edward told Hunter as he led her to his car, opening the door for her. Sighing, Hunter got in and shut the door, leaning on it.

Tonight, both she and Emily would stay up worried, waiting for their wolves to come home.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hate this chapter. But I needed to update. The only part I like is Jake's section at the top, and the last line.

Bah. Comment/subscribe, you know the drill.