Fighting Fate

Separation.

Billie Jean is not my lover. She's just a girl, who claims that I am the one, Hunter's phone sang early that morning.

"Whoever's calling this early should be hit," Emily muttered, lifting her head from Hunter's shoulder as her sister dug her phone out of her pocket. She paled when she saw the name.

"I'll be back in a minute," she said quietly, standing from the couch and going outside, hitting the answer button in the process. "What do you want?"

"To see you," his voice was quiet, like he was calling when he shouldn't be. Which he shouldn't be. "Can you meet me at the border?"

"I can't," Hunter replied. "I'm with Emily, waiting for Sam and Jake to get back."

"That's why I need to talk to you," he insisted. "Please. Come meet me."

"Fine," Hunter sighed. "I'll meet you by the road in twenty minutes." She hung up on him, then went back inside.

"I have to go somewhere, Em, but I'll be back soon, okay?" she said, but Emily had fallen asleep again. Shaking her head, Hunter just left, shoving her hands in the pocket of the hoodie she'd found in the living room. It smelled like Jake.

Jake... she thought glumly, slowing her pace. Please... Come home...

---

Hunter was in trouble.

That much Jake could tell as he crossed the border. He could feel a fear that wasn't his own pounding through his veins, driving him forward. He was running as fast as he could, the fear strengthening the closer he got to his imprint.

Hurry, hurry, Sam yelled, leaping over a fallen tree to Jake's left. Sam had felt Emily's panic just after he'd found Jake, which is about the time the younger boy began convulsing in pain, howls of agony ripping through his teeth.

"Stop!" a female voice screamed, not even thirty yards ahead of them. "You're hurting me!" The scent of leech hit Jake's nose, pushing him to run faster.

"Why? You agreed to meet me, why do you want to leave so soon?" the male's voice was amused. "Do you not like me?"

"No, I really don't," was the sharp retort. Jake snorted- Hunter always did put up a brave face. He spurred himself even faster as he heard another scream. All he knew was that someone was hurting Hunter- and it was up to him to stop them.

He hurtled into the clearing, leaping over Hunter, who was sprawled, unconscious, on the ground, claws tearing at the leech in front of him. He didn't care who it was. He just wanted to end their miserable life before they could hurt his imprint anymore.

Imagine his surprise when his claws separated Emmett Cullen's head from his body.
♠ ♠ ♠
OH NO SHE DIDN'T.

Why yes, yes I did.