Sugar Cookies

"I can decorate a ***ing tree."

Decorating a Christmas tree alone on Christmas Eve was something she never expected to be doing.

However, she was doing it and it wasn't all that bad. Tom had lugged the huge thing down from the attic and put it up for her only about an hour ago. He stayed for a while to keep the loneliness away. He knew what it was like to miss someone on a special occasion. Though Oli had never missed a single Christmas for tour, like he was doing now. Tom spent most of the day with her, decorating the empty house.

Tom was not Oliver, no matter how close they were. It was depressing for her, decorating this house without her boyfriend, but it had to be done. Oli hadn't even called yet and that fact was what was really bothering her. Andrea was concerned about what exactly Oli was doing at the moment since there was no show. She shook her head--even band sluts had homes to be in on Christmas Eve.

The timer beeped then, from the kitchen, and she put the ornament back in the box. The kitchen smelled delightful and she smiled at it. Cookies were something she always baked at home. Of course, England was a long way from Florida. Her parents had called twice already and the card they sent was smiling at her from the wall in the dining room. Oskar was still around, sleeping in some obscure corner.

The snowmen sugar cookies weren't perfect, but they had an excellent smell to them. She didn't give two shits; She was eating them not putting them on display. At the scent of such glorious food, Oskar came padding into the room. He sat and tilted his head to the side. When Andie didn't respond to this adorable gesture, he whined.

"What?" she snapped at him, hands on hips, "You ignore me until you want something from me, hm? Is that it?" The dog stood and barked once at her. She rolled her eyes and lifted him into her arms, letting him lick her face.

"You're too cute for your own good, baby," she cooed, shoving a hot cookie in his face. The dog snapped it up, barely even chewing. He leapt out of her arms and tapped away.

"I should have expected that." She shoveled the rest of the cookies onto a plate and brought them back into the living room. The TV had some stupid, sentimental movie that was full of guardian angel's and other stereotypical bullshit. Ugh. She placed the plate on the table and continued putting the balls on the tree. It was monotonous work, broken only by cookie breaks. She had considered not even bothering but Tom and his friend would be joining her tomorrow so apparently the house needed to look 'joyful.'

If Tom wanted a joyful Christmas he could have it at his flat and leave her the fuck alone. Bah motherfucking humbug.

Andie loved Christmas. She loved the tree, and decorating, and cookies, and presents. She loved when she had those things with other people. She wanted to share it with Oli. Ornament after ornament was hung on the tree without her even knowing it. Andrea's thoughts had a tendency to wander. They walked down every avenue and usually took long, complicated turns. When her phone beeped loudly, she nearly flew to the ceiling.

It was a false alarm though, just a text from Tom.

hows the movie? She snorted at his attempt to make sure she hadn't slacked off her job and went to bed.

shit, i'm putting inception on, she wrote back.

haha. just dont fall asleep until ur done with the tree.

She didn't even write back to that. She popped Inception into the DVD player though and then quickly finished the tree. Grabbing her phone, she bounced into the kitchen and flipped through her contacts. "Lee. Lee. Lee," she sang, dancing weirdly. The green sweater she was wearing flopped loosely on her body, dancing with her. Calling the guitarist probably wasn't the best idea but some type of reassurance was needed.

"Andie, 'ow are you?" he answered.

"Hey Lee. I was just wondering if Oli's with you." She liked to be straight to the point.

"'Course he is. He's sat on his laptop bein' a lazy arse, as usual," he said. Laughter sounded in the background, and a few swears.

"Alright Lee. Merry Christmas," it was easy to hear the dejection in her voice. Her boyfriend was sitting around on his computer, but he couldn't be bothered to call her for Christmas.

"Merry Christmas doll." He hung up the phone. Shaken, but not crying, Andie gathered herself up and marched into the living room. With the tree done, she was free to do what she wanted. Taking the blanket off the back of the couch, she sat and snuggled under it with the cookies.

"Oskar," she called softly. The sleeping dog perked up and ran up to the couch, jumping on it and curling in a ball next to her. She stroked him absentmindedly as she watched Leonardo DiCaprio walk across the screen.

"At least I have you Oskar."

*

In a non-descript diner on the edge of Sheffield a tall, tattooed man sat. He stared at the empty booth in front of him and finished the last of his french fries. Christmas songs played softly in the background. The waitress dropped the check on the table as she passed by, humming to the song. He smirked when he noticed the number written on a scrap of paper underneath.

Oliver Sykes stood from the booth grumbling, and pulled on his coat. When he grabbed the check, he left the same scrap of paper on the table as a tip. He made his way to the counter, ignoring other customers watching as he walked by. He probably looked intimidating, with his determined, haggard expression and inked skin. Most people stared in public places. He couldn't give two shits.

"Home for the holidays mate?" the man at the counter asked. Oli pulled out his wallet and thumbed through the bills.

"Surprisin' me girlfriend. She thinks I'm in the States." He dropped the notes on the counter and pulled on a tight smile. "Keep the change." He was eager to go. He hadn't seen Andie in a month and a week, unless you counted the video chats. Oli didn't count them. How could he? A computer could never show the true beauty that he saw in his girlfriend.

After walking through the freezing weather and wasted snow, he practically leapt into his car. It sprang to life as soon as the key was shoved in and he was nearly ready to go. Except for the fact that his phone was buzzing and he thought it was her. It was just a false alarm. All it was was a text from Lee.

she called mate. not 2 mins ago.

Oli ignored it. He would be home in twenty minutes, not even if he sped. And honestly, would anyone expect Oliver Sykes not to speed? Of course not. Oli Sykes did not abide by traffic laws. He didn't really abide by any laws. Why in the fuck should he? Plainly for the damn reason that he was Oliver Sykes. In any case, Oliver Sykes, who we've established is breaking the law by speeding, flew through town, which was empty, to be with his girlfriend all the faster.

He didn't know how he would greet his girl, or his dog, but it would just be wonderful. It was Christmas Eve, and they would be together tomorrow, and the day after. His heart swelled with happiness and a grin lit up his face. When he finally pulled up to the house, in ten minutes instead of twenty, he practically ran to the door. He wanted to see her so badly. Oh so badly that it hurt.

He knocked on the door. It was always locked because Andie was paranoid. As if anyone would fuck with Oliver Sykes' house. They'd have to be absolutely mental. Oskar was yapping on the other side. The door opened and revealed an anxious Andie.

"Tom honestly, I can decorate a fucking..." but she never finished the sentence. It was hard to finish a sentence when the person you love most in the world shows up two weeks early. They stood looking at each other, Oskar dancing around Oli's legs and whining. Here he was, standing on the frozen porch and she was just gaping at him. Disbelief was the common theme on her face.

"Oli, you're here." She sounded relieved as she launched herself in his arms. He held her tightly in his arms, reveling in her scent and his face nuzzled in her hair. He walked forward with her still attached to him and shut the door, nearly clipping off poor Oskar's tail. The kiss that came after the hug was tender and loving. It made people's hearts melt and coos come from older people.

"'Course I'm here," he said the moment their lips unattached, "Wouldn't wanna be anywhere else realleh."

They clung to each other, poor Oskar whining and crying at them both. Andie thought she might die of happiness. Being with Oliver at that time was something she thought could only happen in an over dramatic story. Here he was though, his hair and his eyes and his tattoos, looming over her in the best way possible. Oli was content with just analyzing every miniscule bit of her face. She was safe, in their house with their dog. It was reassuring to hold her again and be with her.

"You're a slacker, you know? Of course you show up after I do all the work," she whispered jokingly. He rolled his eyes.

"I smell cookies." She rolled her eyes and followed him into the living room. "Brilliant, there are cookies in 'ere. Yeh're watching Inception on Christmas Eve? Somehow I'm unsurprised." She ignored him and wrapped her arms around his thin waist.

"Aren't you forgetting something?"

"Merry Christmas love."

"Merry Christmas Oli."