Heartbeat

Heartbeat.

I run my delicate fingers along the cool, hard stone. The thorns from the rose in my right hand leaves little pricks in my soft palm. I ease onto the ground in front of what is left of the man I love. The knee high stone marks the details of his life and death. I lift my face to the gentle breeze that caresses my damp cheek. Before I know it, the night it all ended replays in my mind once more.

The beeping of the machines, and the steady bleep of the heart monitor is a constant reminder of my husbands condition. My eyes rest on his drained figure, amongst the white hospital sheets. His hollow eyes follow me as I cross the room, even his eyes are faint. They lack the spark that made me fall so in love with him in the first place. My breathing catches as I take him in. My feet carry me over to his side, my high heels add yet another noise to the orchestra of bleeps and ticks.

I reach for his hand, his once firm warm hand now rest limp and cold in my grasp. Those same hands could play the piano with a passion I have yet to see in another person. His eyes such and unusual shade of green. Once so bright and vivid, now dull and lifeless. His voice had managed to warm every part of my body, soothe my nerves and make me cry with joy. He would never sing again, never would the world hear the voice that has transfixed millions.

The tears cascade down my cheek, a river of pain. I was going to loose the spark of my existence, the star in my never ending night. “I love you” I whisper, I look into the eyes that made my heart sing. They hold a love so deep, so pure. A faint pressure in his hand, tells me he knows. “Love you” he croaks. Just before the once steady beep of the heart monitor becomes a steady bleep. “No, oh please no!” His eyes close, his hand goes limp. Doctors and nurses pour into the room, shoving me out of the way. “Luke! Oh no, no.” I fight the nurse trying to push me out of the room, her soothing words fail to break my panic. No, I need him too much. “Luke don’t leave me!” I scream. I shove the nurse back with a force that later surprises me. But its too late, the nurses and doctors have given up. “Nora, I’m so sorry.” The doctor places his hand on my shoulder. Pushing him off, I stager to my husbands side, his shirt cut down the middle, giving way to his bare chest. “No, no Luke” I climb onto the bed, holding onto his cooling body with everything I have, no heartbeat bounds beneath my palm. The man that made this world bearable, who inspired millions. The man I loved was gone.