A Little Bit of Luck

Chapter One

Somewhere in the Caribbean. April 30, 2010
Mackenzie Page stood on the front porch of the beach house, looking at the crystal blue ocean waters. The gentle breeze was blowing through the surrounding trees and providing an almost musical companion to the sound of the waves. For so many people this was a vacation, a tropical getaway, that they would want to last forever. For Mackenzie it was getting boring.

It had been three months since their last job and they still had plenty of money. There was no need to leave this place or plan their next move. They still had the funds to keep them afloat for at least the next eight months. That was the reason they had decided to come to this place, a vacation of their own and a break from day-to-day life. But it was getting old after three months that felt more like three years.

“We need to find you a hobby,” The familiar voice of Scott Garner said.

“Well we all need to find a hobby. I know that you five are just as bored as I am.” She replied, leaning against his chest as he wrapped his arms around her.

Chuckling, Scott placed a kiss to the back of her head. He then rested his head on her shoulder, leaning his cheek against hers. “I love you.” He said.

“And I love you, but if I don’t find something to do then I’m going to go insane.”

Just as the air went silent the door opened. Out walked Donovan Page, Mackenzie’s older brother. In his right hand was a pack of camel lights and in his left was a lighter. When he saw his sister and Scott he just rolled his eyes, far too tired of voicing his opinions about them.

Much like his sister, Donovan was quickly growing tired of this place. Other the years he had become far too accustomed to their typical way of living. Now the slow pace and excessive downtime were eating him away one day at a time.

“Do you two really feel the need to be affectionate publicly?” He asked, lighting one of the cigarettes and inhaling the smoke.

“Do you really feel the need to inhale toxic smoke into your lungs every half hour or so?” Mackenzie retorted.

“We were here first, Donny.” Scott interjected calmly.

“I don’t care if you were here first or not. Now I’m here and I don’t want watch you two being affectionate with each other.” Donovan released a puff of smoke into the air, watching as it slowly drifted away from him and towards the beach.

Inside the beach house was much louder than on the porch. In the living room Sebastian Bennett and Kurt Curry were seated in front of the television, playing video games. Sebastian was seated with his back against the couch and his legs stretched out in front of him. Kurt was sitting slightly closer to the television with his legs folded in front of him.

Next to the Xbox was a stack of video games the height of a small child. Two weeks after arriving at the beach house this had became their only way to stay busy. The stack of games were the ones that they had mastered and with each passing day it grew larger.

Seated on the couch was Helena Singleton. In her hands was a copy of Pride and Prejudice, the spine starting to wear. This was her only way of keeping busy through the days. Unfortunately, this was the third time she had read this book and it was the one she had read the least.

The door opened and Mackenzie, Scott, and Donovan re-entered the house. No one looked up from their activities, nor did they greet the trio. At this point in their time off they no longer cared where anyone else was or what they were doing. It was now all about staying sane and occupied.

“Seb, Kurt, Lena, we’ve all got to talk,” Mackenzie said, her soft voice barely audible over the sound of the television.

Instantly the room went silent. The game was paused, the two men sat the controllers down, and focused their eyes on Mackenzie and Scott. Helena calmly lowered her book and smiled at her friend.

“I think I speak for everyone when I saw that we cannot keep living like this. We are all going crazy with too much time on our hands. So I don’t know about the rest of you but Scott and I are going to head back to the states,” She said, already knowing that everyone else would ask why.

“You already have something in mind. What is it?” Helena asked, curious to know what it was.

With a small and mischievous smile playing at her lips, Mackenzie glanced between the everyone in the room except Scott. “I have a job planned, but I have a feeling you guys aren’t going to like this one too much.”