A Little Bit of Luck

Chapter Two

“So you are telling me that you want to rob the Diamanti hotel and casino?” Kurt asked, his voice sounding rough and unsure of what he was hearing. Mackenzie was not the type make a ridiculous proposal such as this one.

“Yes, that is exactly what I am telling you. It will be difficult and very time consuming, but what else do we have to do right now?” She rested her back against the sofa, expecting to receive a no from almost everyone in the room.

“You don’t have to agree to this. No one expects you to agree to go along with this. But Mackenzie and I are going to be heading to Vegas next week,” Scott said, resting his elbows on his knees and leaning forward.

“How much?” Helena asked, her voice as calm and even as it always was.

“On a weekend fight night? At least a hundred million. Divided by six, if everyone agrees to this plan.” Mackenzie wasn’t a hundred percent sure exactly how much would be in the vault at the casino, so instead she tossed out a number she was sure would be likely.

Sebastian finally spoke, glancing between the Page siblings, and asked, “I know Mackenzie thinks we could pull because we are having this conversation. But I want to know what you think, Donny.”

“I think if we work at it hard enough we could pull it off without a hitch. As surprising as it may be, I’m in on this one,” Donovan said.

“Guys, we are talking about something is almost impossible. Casinos have a security measure for the security measures of the security measures. How do we even know that we can pull this off? Because we could get there, be in the middle of the job and get caught. Is prison really worth the risk. And Mackenzie, why are you so convinced that we could even pull it off?” Kurt stood up, shoving his hands into his pockets and pacing, his nervous habit.

“Because this is pretty much my area of expertise. I’m also the one with the connection for it. If you don’t like the idea and you aren’t up for it then just say so. No hard feelings if you aren’t interested in joining us,” Mackenzie stood up and look at the remaining three people in the room, “So who is coming with us?”

“Well I can’t take spending any more of my days with nothing to do. I’m in,” Helena said.

“You only live once right? Might as well make the most of it. I’ll be right there with you guys.” Sebastian added, a smile creeping onto his face.

“I don’t know,” Kurt said hesitantly, “I’m going to need more time to think about it.”

Scott stood up, grabbing Mackenzie’s hand to help her up as well, and said, “We understand. But we are going to be buying plane tickets tonight, so I’ll buy one for you just in case you decide to come with us.”

Later that evening the group was once again spread out. Each of them preparing for their next move, or decision, in their own ways.

Donovan was in his bedroom, already packing his belongings. It truly wouldn’t have mattered if there was no chance that they could succeed. For the first time in his life, he agreed with his sister. This time they were thinking on the same wave length. It was about so much more than just the thrill or the money. It was about what they’d spent the last 12 years waiting for.

Helena was in the study, doing some early research. This is what put her mind at ease before a large job. She liked to know exactly what she was about to be facing. This time she felt the excitement pulsing through her veins. Usually their jobs were for the money, because they needed to survive. This time it wasn’t because they needed funds for anything; this time it was just because they wanted to.

Sebastian was still playing video games. He wouldn’t focus on the job until they arrive in Las Vegas, when Mackenzie and Scott knew exactly what they were going to do. For the most part he avoided the planning. He had always felt that there were others in the group that were far more capable of handling the planning phase than he was.

Kurt was sitting on the beach, trying to figure out what he was going to do. He had never backed out of anything before. This group was his family and he believed that you stuck with your family. After he lost his parents when he was 17, the Page siblings took him under their wings. At the time they had been 21 and just getting their crew off the ground, they had taught him what to do and more importantly helped him when he needed it the most. It didn’t feel right to abandon them now, but he wasn’t sure he could go through with this.

Mackenzie and Scott were on the balcony outside their bedroom. On the small table sat her laptop, the screen displaying flight information. The excitement, and nerves, of the upcoming task was already sinking in. But for the first time she was surprised. She hadn’t expected that almost everyone would agree to the plan.

“You think Kurt will come with us?” She asked, breaking the silence.

“Who knows? Right now it could go either way. He got into the game in a different way than the rest of us so he has different feelings about it. Especially something that we don’t have to do.”

Kurt didn’t make a decision until the morning they were leaving. When the rest of the group had left for the airport, he had stayed behind. At that particular moment in time, he had every intention of remaining in the Caribbean by himself. The risk just didn’t seem worth it to him.

But at the last minute he had a change of heart. If his family was going to do something then he wasn’t going to let them do it alone. He packed his things as quickly as he could and made what could be called a mad dash to the airport.

“I can’t say I blame him. After all it does sound a little bit on the insane side,” Mackenzie was saying, seconds before Scott interrupted her.

“I think you are speaking to soon. Turn around and look who is running towards us,” Scott said, looking forward and smiling.

Overhearing Scott’s comment, Helena turned around to look. “I’ll be damned. Talk about a last minute change of heart,” She said, laughing quietly as she did.

When Kurt caught up to the group he was expecting to hear some sort of plan. But instead, Mackenzie turned around and simply said, “We aren’t talking business on the plane. There is a house waiting for us in Vegas, that is where we are going to start talking about this.”

Kurt replied with one simple word. “Understood.”