Together

"Yeh can piss off yeh arse. Find your own ride."

They had met at a coffee shop five months ago and had been attached at the hip, almost literally, ever since. They were as different as two people could be, yet one and the same. He was a famous rock star, unconcerned by rules and laws. She was an art history major in college, a carefree spirit. Yet somehow they were able to spend hours of time together.

What they thought was hidden, was obvious to everyone. While they each had their fair share of seeing other people, they wanted each other. How obvious could it be before it was just common knowledge? Everyone knew; Tom, the band, his friends, her friends. They were like a ticking time bomb that was going to explode any moment.

The pent-up sexual frustration between them made everyone around them horny as fuck.

It was rage inducing to see them frolicking about to parties and stores and shows together, 'as friends', when really they were fucking destined to be together. God, it was sick that they just danced around each other. There was absolutely no risk of rejection on either side of the fence here. The way they looked at each other, Jesus, someone get a shotgun.

*

Amelia's Dorm
December 31, 2010
10:07 PM


"Are you fucking dressed yet or what?" her best friend asked her from her bedroom. The New Years party they were going to was supposed to be awesome. Of course, any party with Oliver Sykes and his best friend Amelia attending was a party worth going to. They had become a somewhat popular duo on the party scene.

"Shut up." Amelia herself emerged from the adjoining bathroom. A purple cocktail dress clung to her body. Her hair fell in waves on her back. "Am I overdressed?"

Her friend, Karen, scoffed. "Oh of course, lovely Amelia overdressed. Do yeh even try to be so damn pretty?" she asked bitterly.

"I'm taking that as a compliment," Amelia said lightly, grabbing her clutch. Karen was, obviously, being over dramatic as she herself looked stunning in a black and white dress and her hair up in a French twist. Karen was French and often spoke it, almost fluently. Amelia flitted around the small dorm room she shared with the very same French girl, tidying up and getting ready for when she would come back.

"Excited to see Oli then? Yeh haven't seen him in a few hours now, have yeh?" she asked sarcastically, grinning at her friend. Amelia stopped dead, a rosy color in her cheeks.

"Oh shove it Karen," was her only reply.

"Oh shove it Karen," the girl mimicked, "Please, yeh'll be shaggin' him one o' these days."

This time Amelia said absolutely nothing. Instead, she pulled down her short dress, tossed back her head and grinned at her impatient, rude best friend. They shared this banter often since Amelia wasn't the only one hiding her love interests. It wasn't exactly a secret that a certain Matt Nicholls was going after her blonde friend, and that a certain Karen Walker was going after the drummer.

"Matty'll be there so let's get a move on, alright?" Amelia pushed, taking the keys off the dresser. Karen grumbled something about moving on to shove a fist up someone else's arse and they went out to the car, holding each other's arms so they wouldn't slip on the icy parking lot in their heels. The car was freezing on the inside, the leather biting their bare legs.

As they drove away, pop music blasted through the speakers. Neither of them would really choose this music as a first option but it was dansy and they were in a party mood. They weren't heading straight to the party, they were meeting Oli and Tom at their flat. Amelia was excited for the party, jumpy in fact.

Deep down, she knew it was that she was seeing Oli. She always got anxious around him, as if one wrong move and he would dump her for good. She had voiced this concern to Karen once, when she was in a caring mood and the notion was deemed 'rubbish' and dropped immediately. The notion must have been rubbish because she'd been around for five solid months and he hadn't even made a move on her.

Not like she would have minded.

Oliver was so hopelessly clueless to the way Amelia looked at him. She wanted it to be hidden, but it was so obvious. Her friends must be ready to kill her. All this Oliver Sykes bullshit, it was fucking with her head. Pulling up to the flat, they just sat in the car waiting. The brothers were always timely when coming down to greet them.

"Wipe that stupid grin off yeh face Amelia. It's so painfully obvious yeh're in love with him," Karen said from the passenger side, her hands at the heaters.

"Sod off. You're obvious around Matty."

"At least I'm makin' it clear I want teh jump his bones. Yeh're just hurtin' yehreself with all this shit."

And she was right.

Oliver's Flat
December 31, 2010
10:14 PM


"C'mon Tom. Mel and Karen must be waitin'," he prodded the boy that was fiddling with a camera strap.

"Oli, please. Must yeh always be runnin' around like a little bitch on a leash for Amelia?" Tom snapped sharply. Oli didn't react straight away but instead glared at his younger brother.

"Yeh can piss off yeh arse. Find yeh own ride to the bloody party." Tom put the camera down on the table and went over to his brother.

"Mate, it's obvious that yeh want her. I've neva seen yeh so off yeh damn rocker for a bird before. Just, kiss her for the new year or somethin' yeah? She's rather fit, someone'll snatch her up if yeh aren't quick about it."

There was logic behind Tom's words. Amelia was very pretty and dangerously available. Sure, she'd seen other guys before, but they were never serious. At least, Oli never thought they were. If anything, they were just to keep her occupied for a small time, entertained even. Just the same way Oliver went through girls. They were the same.

"Yeah, I suppose yeh're right Tom. I'd better make a move if she's gonna be mine ever."

"Tha's what I like to hear! C'mon then, let's get a move on."

The car was waiting where it always was and Tom was the first one in it. With a cheery, "Hello ladies," he sat himself behind Karen and was content.

"Hey babe," Oliver greeted Amelia, "'Ello Karen." He often called her that. Well, he always called Karen by her name. Sometimes he would call Amelia babe though, and she would swoon and think she were dying, when in fact she wasn't. Tom gave Oli the knowing look he always did when he showed some display of affection towards Amelia.

"Hello Oli," Amelia chirped happily, a small smile on her lips, "Where is this party anyway?"

"I know how to get there," Oli assured. Amelia glanced at him in the rearview.

"Then lead the way, love."

Tom looked at Oli and Oli looked at Tom.
'Tonight', one brother mouthed to the other brother.
And the other brother silently agreed.

Matt Nicholls' cousin's house
December 31, 2010
11:57 PM


Bodies were everywhere.

Of course, it was a party. And everyone was drinking and dancing and sweating. It was a very good party too. Karen was off with Matty somewhere, possibly kissing him or about to kiss him anyway. Tom was off making a stupid mistake in a bathroom with a friend of a friend's girlfriend. Jona Weinerhofen was sleeping, at home. Oli and Amelia were standing near the clock with other people who tried to stay sober enough to welcome the new year.

Amelia clung to Oli, the drink in her hand almost gone. It was her second, and she was only slightly buzzed. Being friends with Oli had made her more, let's say, familiar with alcohol, though she was still a lightweight. Speaking of Oli, he was growing dreadfully nervous. Most of the people standing in the kitchen were couples. Though some idiot would announce to the rest of the idiots that it was no longer 2010, he was in a room full of couples.

"Are you excited for 2011?" Amelia asked him. He had gone quiet and she was worried she had done something wrong. He smiled down at her.

"'Course I am. Aren't yeh?" he asked. She smiled back and then took a sip of her drink.

"Yeah, obviously."

"It's almost time for the countdown!" someone yelled sloppily. It was almost time. A TV blared that information as the music died down. It was a New Years party after all. Everyone gathered and quieted, even the sloppy drunks.

"10, 9, 8," they all chanted, Amelia and Oli included, though Oli was anxious and excited at the same time, "7, 6, 5," Amelia didn't know that Oli was looking at her, too caught up in the moment, "4, 3, 2."

Matt Nicholls' cousin's house
January 1, 2011
12:00 AM


"One," Oli breathed and as the crowd screamed "Happy New Year!" he turned to his best friend of five months, took her face in his hands and kissed her full on the lips.

She reacted nearly instantaneously, after the initial shock wore off, wrapping her arms around his neck and pulling herself up to deepen the kiss. He let his hand rest on the small of her back, and the other on her waist. Oh, what a wonderful night it was. People, their friends, watched with triumphant smiles. Even Karen and Matty had stopped their, uh carousing, to whistle loudly and clap their hands.

When they broke apart Oli leaned his forehead against hers and she said nothing, though her body felt electrified. Amelia had never felt anything like that before and she was glad that the feeling was with Oliver.

"Amelia," he said quietly, amidst all the noise. It was as if the background had faded away.

"Oli, shut up. Can we just," whatever she just wanted them to do was cut off by Oliver's lips on hers again. Soft, tender, sweet. Butterflies fluttered against her ribcage. The moment was perfect.

"Amelia, I need to be with you."

The words were rushed, but wonderful.

"Oli, I just need you." And they kissed again. They kissed a lot that night and drank a lot and danced and did stupid things.

"Happy New Year."

"Happy New Year babe."