Just Shoot.

(1/?)

Alesse Farro was a force to be reckoned with. Although a king on a mighty base himself, Sidney Crosby could say he honestly admired the rising star. She was just old enough to be on the Canada women’s team, and she was also from his home province. He couldn’t help but laugh at the thought that such a small province was capable of spitting out two famous hockey players in the span of five years. She had even grown up in a lesser known area from where he did, two hours away.

National stars, hometown heroes.

She played right, but she wrote with her left hand. She had great pinpointing skills, and despite being a forward, she had some great defensive skills. She elaborated once in an interview. She had played goaltender in soccer.

He knew things like this. He supposed he was borderline obsessive, but it was fine; a massive amount of people were. The 19 year old Alesse Farro, in her entire hockey experience, had never scored a goal. Not in high school, not in university, and not now in professional. This wouldn’t be as odd if she hadn’t had 47 assists, and an average of 2 shots on net per game. Despite never getting the puck into the net herself, her assists kept rising.

It became normal for Sidney to watch women’s hockey, and hold his breath anytime she got close to the net. He started to see her hesitance when she got there. She would usually passed it off. She always set it up for someone else after doing all the work of weaving around the other team. Which seemed to be her specialty. She was the set-up artist. A coaches dream. If only she could get a goal herself.

This infuriated him in a way. He wanted to yell at her, wanted to tell her to shoot. Just stop setting up and shoot. He’d always turn off the television with a disappointed look on his face.

The first time he met her was at one of his own hockey games. They had lost against the Senator’s 3-1, a goal scored while he was in the penalty box on a false call. He had been furious. He stalked into the locker room, ripped off his gear, packed up, talked briefly with whoever was in his way, and made a beeline to the bus.

Fleury was standing outside the door head held down while a blonde girl in front of him smiled and tried to gain his attention. He had looked up at her with a weak smile and Sidney caught a bit of the conversation, “It was an off night Marc, it happens to the best of us. This is just a tiny dent that can be fixed. Stop worrying, you’re still amazing.”

Sidney was pissed, so he didn’t hold himself accountable for the snort that escaped him. Fleury looked up at him, obviously hurt. He felt immediately bad, then the girl turned around.

A look of confusion crossed her pretty face. She was tall, and tanned. Her blue eyes were stark against her black lashes. Her blonde hair framed her face perfectly, and fell all the way down to her breasts. She had a red pea coat and white scarf on. She was a picture of perfect. He felt like an ass letting his anger get away from him in front of this girl. He was a gentleman after all.

“I’m sorry, did you have something to say?” she said, no heat held behind her words. She was calm, and that infuriated him for some reason.

“No,“ he scowled as her innocent face. “I’m sorry Marc, I’m just frustrated by that second goal.”

“It’s fine, I should of had it,” he said, head bowing down again. He looked up at the girl and offered a weak smile. “See you later, Alesse.”

Alesse, Sidney thought. As in, Alesse Farro?

“Don’t take it to heart, Marc,” she said as he walked up the bus stairs. “He’s never played your position, so he doesn’t understand.”

Sidney’s awe was short lived. He grunted, feeling like the biggest dick ever. He tossed his bag over his shoulder and moved to the end of the bus to wrench open the storage compartment. He didn’t even realize she was standing behind him, arms crossed.

“You know, if you treat him like that, you’ll keep losing.”

He had hid being startled quite well, and shoved his bag into the compartment. “Hockey’s different from soccer.” If he wasn’t so ticked, he’s be embarrassed that she knew he knew her background.

“Not really,” she said, pulling on her mittens. “You have a net to protect, and albeit mine is much bigger, it’s still a sense of failure when something gets in. Unsupportive friends, just make failure worse. Then you start losing because your goalie feels like shit.”

He turned around, furious that a 19 year old was telling him how treat his team.

“What the hell does feeling like shit have to do with saving shots?” He stood a couple inches above her, eyes challenging her logic. He was raring to go, if she wanted to go there.

“Being a goalie is a mind game. Your job is to read body language, and try to pinpoint where the puck is going. You need the reflexes for when it’s fast, and a cocky mindset,” she looked into his eyes. “If you’re thinking, am I going to get this? instead of I got this, you most likely won’t get it. So your comments just make that mindset worse. You’re suppose to bring your goalie up, make him feel invincible. Not take him down.”

She was right. This kid for God sakes, was right. Alesse Farro no doubt had grown beyond her years. But Sidney would never admit he was wrong. Especially then, in front of her.

“I don’t take advice from people who can’t shoot,” he said coldly. A flicker of hurt registered across her face. She had immediately covered it up with her calm forte. Sidney was surprised that the small glimmer of hurt had played his heartstring.

“I’m surprised you know so much about me,” Alesse said, backing up. Other players had started to come out of the rink, and the press started to come around the corner, a few already yelling Sidney’s name to get his attention. But he was too focused on the blonde to care. “Maybe you should just give a genuine apology, so you can start winning again.”

Before he could reply, she was walking away. That night when they got back to the hotel, he found Fleury and apologized. Together they sat in the hotel room drinking beer and watching junior hockey, rather than the recaps of their loss. Marc brought up Alesse.

“That girl,” he said, shifting uncomfortably. “I don’t want you to get the wrong idea. She’s just a friend.”

Sidney frowned, it hadn’t even hit him that they could be romantically involved. He laughed, “Marc, I don’t care if you are. She’s not a minor, you'd be stupid if you weren't tapping that."

Marc smirked, “I’d be dead if I was. I played with her cousin on the Screaming Eagles in ‘01. She was 11 when I first met her.”

Eyes wide, Sidney murmured, “So… you’re not tapping that, right?” He shifted on the bed. “That would make you a pervert.”

Marc laughed and took another sip of beer, “No, I’m not. She was our water girl. The teams little sister, y’know. Then her cousin got drafted to the Seadogs, and I didn’t see her until she was 15. That’s when I felt a bit like a pervert.”

“Oh God, you didn’t,” Sidney said, turning towards him in horror.

“No man! I told you. Never, I’d be dead,” he smiled. “But she had grown up a lot. She actually came to see me at her cousins birthday bash. I didn’t recognize her at first, until I looked into those eyes. The bluest you’ve ever seen, right?”

Sidney nodded silently, he wanted to hear more.

“She’d gotten really tall, and was curvy. Not skinny like she is now-- but don’t get me wrong, she looked good. She told me she’d won an award in soccer, for goaltending. Said she started hockey,” Marc laughed, he was rambling. That’s what a few beers did to him. “Something the media doesn’t know about her, is that she didn’t start hockey until she was 14. She could barely skate in hockey skates, and only started because her high school team needed another player.”

“Really? That means she’s only played for five years, right?” Sidney was awestruck. He’d played his whole life, he couldn’t imagine somebody just starting hockey when they were at that crucial age.

“I know man, I don’t know how, but she got a little crazy. When she got her car, she was at the rink everyday. Soccer in the summer, hockey in the winter,” he smiled. “Whenever I was in Nova Scotia, which wasn’t often, I was trying to get to her games.”

“That’s insane,” Sidney said taking a long haul of beer. He wasn’t sure he would be able to not see her again, with all this new information. “She’s lucky to have a guy like you as a friend.”

Marc brought the beer to his lips and said, “Nah man, I’m lucky to have her.”

Sidney’s obsession grew. He often found himself thinking of ways he could redeem himself for his rude behaviour. Eventually, he bought tickets to her home game at the Metro Center in Halifax. It seemed casual enough.

The media was all over it. Which girl was Sidney watching? Who was he banging? Which one of these fine ladies is he pining over? They had set him up with every girl on the team. He was embarrassed, but not enough not to go.

Once he was spotted, they had him escorted to the VIP booth, where they had the prettiest waitresses offer him beer, and food. He took the beer with a smile, but that was all. He wasn’t interested in their cleavage or their short skirts. He was a hockey man, and tonight, he was here for hockey.

Up close to the glass he watched as she was put on first line. The camera zoomed to his face for mere seconds, and the crowd screamed. He wore a modest smile, relieved when the camera’s focused back to the starting game. He didn’t want to steal the glory. This wasn’t his ice time.

The play started with Fitzpatrick, Alesse’s left wing, getting advantage and weaving her way to the net while the center blocked an opposing forward who tried to stop her. Alesse had sprinted to the net, and received a pass. Sidney’s held his breath, fists clenching as she cradled the puck for a second, then passed it to center who shot.

And scored.

The crowd had let out a sigh when she passed it. Sidney was glad to know he wasn’t the only one. That’s how first and second period went. The score was 4-0.

Come the intermission for third period, Sidney asked the buxom brunette waitress, “Is there any way I can get down to the home bench?”

She shifted in her spot, “Well, I honestly don’t see why not. You are Sidney Crosby.”

He smiled lightly. That was a usual reply. He thanked her and left, weaving his way back to the entrance and to a security guy who led him to where he wanted to go. Everyone was piling back into their seats and the girls came back on the ice.

The girls coach smiled at Sidney and held out his hand, “I’m afraid we won’t be needing your expertise Crosby, but you can sit back and watch the ride.”

He smiled forlornly as the coach turned away and whispered, “I’m afraid one girl might.” The play started. A few of the girls were giving him the double take, but soon enough ignored him as he stood on the back bench with their coach.

The other team finally got their sticks on the puck and started a wild sprint, the defenders barely managed to slow the center down before they were both knocked down. She revved up for a slap shot and slap! The goalie deflected it. The crowd went wild, but it was short lived, because the puck was still in a danger zone. Alesse was against the boards for her defence, getting the puck as two forwards zeroed in on her. She passed it to her center a second before they both slammed into her.

The whistle blew as the two players were escorted off the ice and one into the penalty box. Sidney held his tongue as she was helped up by a team mate, and slowly taken to the bench. The coach was there immediately.

The play started again as she was set on the back bench. Alesse wheezed for a second, head still down, and whispered, “I’m fine guys, watch the game.” The coach hesitantly did as she asked; he had to keep giving orders and setting up plays. But Sidney sat down.

“Are you okay?” he asked, concerned. “That was an awfully hard hit.”

One of her team mates passed him her water with a concerned look on her face, before turning back to the game. Alesse reached up to unbuckle her helmet. “I’ll be fine. I just need water.” When she turned to look as him, he saw her spit. Blood was painted on her lips, and a small trail running down her chin. When she opened her mouth, more came falling out.

Shit,” he said, mortified. Girls didn’t bleed like that in his world. “You need medical attention.” He passed her her water and fumbled around for a skate towel. She groaned bringing an ungloved hand to her mouth. He was shocked when she threw her head back and drank water, before squeezing water onto her chin to wash the leftover blood away.

“I bit my tongue, I didn’t get punched,” Alesse said, amused. She grabbed the towel and wiped herself off before spitting once more and retrieving her helmet. “Ready coach.” As he watched, eyes wide, she put her helmet back on, her glove, and retrieved her stick, going back on the ice. To resume the original play.

The big camera had got it all. It wasn’t a secret anymore who Sidney Crosby wanted to see.

It’s not even a crush, he thought once the game was over. It’s a fascination with a stunning female hockey player, that‘s all. But he was kidding himself. This 19 year old was deep under his skin and they barely had maintained a conversation. He was going to change that though. He hightailed it to the empty hallway outside Alesse’s locker room, and waited. Safely hidden from the press.

Sidney was going to ask her out. Not on a date but out, so he could finally discuss her lack of goals, and try to redeem his ungentlemanly behaviour. It was 30 minutes before she emerged, but not until after the rest of her team. She was the last one out. He had received many looks as each girl walked out, shy smiles, bold smirks. He smiled awkwardly back to each, waiting for the blonde girl to appear.

She came out, finally. Hockey bag on her shoulders like a backpack, stick in hand. Again, he was almost rendered speechless. She was in black track pants, and a black Under Armour thermal. Her skinny body looking exquisite in such informal attire. Her bangs were pinned back, and that freshly washed blonde hair cascaded down to her chest, which he avoided looking at. Her big blue eyes that were complimented by big black lashes looked up at him questioningly.

“There isn’t anyone left in there,” she said quietly, a small lisp tickling the edge of her words. Her tongue, he thought. It’s… kinda cute.

“I, uh, I know,” he said awkwardly. Jesus, just do it man. “I’m waiting for you.”

Question had littered her face. “Me? Why?”

You’re an idiot Sid, out with it, it’s not like it’s a date, he thought. “I was wondering if you wanted to go out for a bit, if you’re not doing anything. I was hoping to talk to you about your hockey skills.”

“Alright,” she said, and he visibly relaxed. “On one condition.” He tensed. She started walking down the hallway, tilting her head for him to follow.

“What is it?”

She smiled stopping in front of the door at the end of the hallway, “You sign my stick for my Gramma.” She opened the door to camera flashes and several reporters in her face. Sidney laughed, and nodded before weaving their wave out.

“Of course.”

That had been the start of Sidney Crosby and Alesse Farro. Now, months later, things were still pretty much the same, with a select few differences. Sidney watched all her games. She tried to watch his. If they weren’t together for after the game, they’d be on the phone. Alesse still hadn’t scored, but Sidney never pressed the subject.

For some reason, whenever the topic came up, he could never bring himself to berate her, even if he was screaming to on the inside. Over the few months span he had learned a lot about Alesse. He loved gaining knowledge on her, he loved finding pieces to how the mysterious girl worked. And lately, she had been asking a lot more about him. Which held promises, he hoped.

Yesterday, he and Fleury had finished their last game until Boxing Day, so he was technically on Christmas break. They were in Ottawa, at the moment, watching Alesse’s last game until after the holiday.

He and Marc had been subjected to a lot more time together since Alesse came into Sidney‘s life, and they were now together in the time booth at one of Alesse’s tournaments. The game was droning on, Alesse’s team winning 5-2. With 12 minutes left on the clock, the other team was starting to get a little rough.

Sidney recognized this behaviour and didn’t condone to it. Some teams thought if they were going to lose, they should lose with a bang. Sidney didn’t believe there was any dignity in unfair play. Something bad was about to happen.

The other team gained possession of the puck, and were off. Dirty-- but not illegal hits, were distributed to the defence. Fitzpatrick, Alesse, and their center were left to skate madly towards the net. The opposing team shot. The goalie caught grip of it and fumbled. This allowed time for the other teams center to slash her stick at the goalie before she got a grip on it. Others skated to help and it became a dog pile, fast. The whistle was shrill in the shocked air of the arena.

Alesse’s team gathered around the net, waiting to find out if their goalie was alright, while the other team got up slowly. The crowd was in filled with protests at the dirty play, and in a second Alesse’s gloves were on the ground and she was hauling the two wingers off, and grasping the center’s mask.

Her team split enough to allow her to drag the girl, who was reaching furiously for her helmet, out of the nets proximity. Alesse dragged the girl to her feet, and Sidney and Marc stood wide eyed. This was the first time they had seen Alesse get remotely physical. Alesse said something to the girl, who was ripping her helmet of, and throwing down her gloves. She pointed to her goalie, before taking off her own helmet.

Sidney turned to Marc, “What the fuck is this?”

Marc shrugged his shoulders, shocked, “Alesse doesn‘t do violence.”

They turned back to the scene, looking up at the big camera to clearly see the other girl getting into fighting position. They saw Alesse’s lips move in a definite, “No.” Before the other girl threw a punch, the first one hitting Alesse’s cheek. Alesse dodged the second one, and grabbed her arm, twisting her so she couldn’t move. The ref was there in a second after watching most of the scene unfold. They were both sent to the penalty box.

When Alesse sat down Sidney crossed the board to sit beside her. She took off her neck guard, then moved to pull her hair band out. A hand went to her cheek, which was already starting to turn a darker shade. He was slightly mortified. He wanted to pull her close, even if she was sweat drenched and almost his size with her gear on.

But one thing he learned, was that when Alesse was hurt, she was ‘fine’.

“What did you say to her?” he asked hesitantly. Not sure if he could handle seeing her like this.

“I told her to not touch my goalie,” she said, head down. “Said that it wasn’t acceptable.” He could hear the fatigue in her voice. She barely managed to lift her head up, and when she did, he saw her glossy eyes. They flickered for a second before her body went lax.

He just barely caught her before she slid off the bench. “Shit! Marc!” he belted out. She must have gotten hit harder than they thought. “She’s out!”

Her coach looked over concerned before muttering a few expletive curses. “Take her to the hospital! I can’t have her hurt!” Marc was grabbing for her gear that she’d managed to take off before looking at Sidney. They groped under her arm before lifting her deadweight.

Marc opened her bag when they got into the locker room. Setting her gear into it while Sidney started undoing her skates.

Marc slapped her lightly across the face, “Hey, babe, wake up.” He gently pulled her jersey off, it briefly getting tangled in her elbow pads. She let out a small whimper. Sidney looked up at him in horror.

“Hey, at least she’s alive,” he said, a small smile on his face. He forced her eyes open. “Wake-up sunshine. You need to stay awake.”

“I’m up,” she whispered softly, eyes flickered to adjust to the light. “Where am I?”

Sidney threw her skates in the bag with her jersey as Marc talked to her. He started on her socks and shin pads.

“You’re in the locker room,” he said, pushing her hair behind her ear. “Sid and I are going to take you to the hospital.”

“I like Sid,” she whispered, a small smile on her face. “He has pretty hair.”

It was all Marc could do to maintain his laughter. He broke when he saw Sidney’s face, a mix of hopeful and embarrassment. He started to take off her elbow pads and said quietly with a big smile, “His moustache isn’t pretty, is it?”

Alesse smiled dopily and nodded eyes drifting shut again. Sidney shot Marc a glare before reaching up to tap her cheek again, “Alesse.”

Her eyes opened and she looked down, “Yeah?”

“Can you stand up? We need to get your hockey pants and cup off.” She nodded, and with Marc’s help she stood up, allowing Sidney to untie the drawstring, and unbuckle the buckle. He pulled it down, and then the jockey. Grabbing her slender hip, which he couldn’t help but stare at for a moment, he lift her left leg out, then did the same to the right.

She was left in a chest piece, and they set her back down. Marc reached down to pull on her moccasins while Sidney fixed her leggings. He reached up to remove her chest piece when he stopped.

“Marc.”

“What?”

“Does she have a shirt in there?”

“Under Armour, yeah,” he said questioningly, looking up the younger one. Fuck, Sid thought. I have to wrestle that onto her when all she’s got on is a sports bra? He reached for the bottom his hoodie and tugged it off. Setting it down beside her he took off her chest piece, and threw it in with the rest of her gear, while Marc grabbed her stick and zipped up the bag.

“I’m gonna go start the truck,” he said. “Get that on her and lets go.”

Sidney turned the sweater right side out and touched her cheek again, “Alesse, can you put this sweater on?”

Her tired eyes opened again, and she nodded. She reached for her bra. Sidney’s eyes shot open, “No! No, Alesse, put it on, not off!”” He was in panic, what was she doing? He could feel himself stirring in his pants. Jesus Christ, not now!

“It’s sticky,” she mumbled pulling it over her head. It got stuck on her arms and she let out a gentle help.

Which he did, trying to keep his eyes off her perfectly rounded chest. He untangled her and quickly pulled the sweater onto her. Sports bra in hand, he picked her up as her eyes fell shut, and strode quickly to where the truck was parked out back.

He set her in the back and buckled her in, cheeks burning as he hoped in front and stuffed the bra in his jeans pocket so Marc wouldn’t see. They headed straight for the hospital.

Sidney thought furiously on the way, Why? Why do I have to be attracted to such a complicated girl? Jesus, like a fucking school boy, getting hard over boobs. This is the closest we’ve even come to intimacy or acknowledgement of attraction and she’s probably concussed. You’re like a dog on a leash, Sid.

``

“Okay,” Marc said as he opened the hotel room door. “I gotta go to my hotel now. I have a flight home to catch.”

Sidney’s eyed opened in surprise as he carried Alesse through the door, “What am I gonna do with her?”

Marc shrugged, pulling back the bed covers so Sidney could lie her down and gently pull off her shoes while she mumbled a few incoeritant things. While he pulled up the covers, she squirmed, seconds later her leggings being thrown out from under the duvet before she sighed.

“You know how to deal with a concussion dude. Like the doctor said, fluid, and wake her up periodically. You want her, she’s no good to you in a coma.” He winked and started towards the door.

Sidney bit his tongue, not saying anything back because Marc was right.

Marc stopped at the door before saying quietly, “Jokes aside, you’re good for her.” Marc smiled honestly, closing the door. But not after hearing the muffled, No, she’s good for me.

He woke her up every hour. Making sure she drank at least a sip of water, and spoke a few words. He didn’t sleep himself, instead turned the television on low, watching a few mind consuming shows, but eventually he got bored. He looked at the clock to see it was ten to five. He shifted, turning off the television.

He rubbed his face, exhaling. He couldn’t get over what she had done tonight. She wasn’t even violent towards the other girl, he reminded himself. She was just… protective. His head lolled to the side, giving her sleeping figure a once over.

Alesse looked peaceful sleeping. Like she had not a thing on her mind. The bruise was bright on her cheak and she looked a bit like a broken doll. Perfect, but not quite. He rather liked the splatter of color on her cheek-- not because he was cruel, but because if reminded him that she was human, just like himself. It reminded him she had plenty of flaws.

But her flaws never seemed imperfect to him. It wasn’t the odd blemish that appeared on her face, her sometimes chapped lips, the way she walked toe first, or the fact that she was so nonchalant that bothered him. In fact, he loved those things. The things that bothered him, was that she didn’t talk about feelings, and she avoided talking about her lack of goals at all costs.

Two very small things that someone wouldn’t normally care about.

She was curled tight into his sweater, which was much too big for her. She used it more than the covers, which had fallen to her hips with the nights routine of waking up and sitting up to drink. He didn’t let himself think about it too much now, because he was too tired to deal with a stubborn hard-on, but he stored the thoughts of being in a bed with her mostly naked except for his sweater.

Stored them deep down for later purposes.

4:57, the clock gleamed in red. He put a hand on her face, “Alesse, wake up.” He gently ran his finger over her cheek before moving it down her neck to grasp her shoulder lightly. She groaned and it honestly all Sidney could do to hold back one of his own.

You need to get laid, he thought. And he was right, in a way. It’d been months. He couldn’t bring himself to bang another chick when his affections lied elsewhere. With someone better, someone brighter. A girl who didn’t even know Sidney had feelings for. He sighed. Who am I kidding? Too hopeful, too soon. But he wasn’t going to give up, because Sidney didn’t want anyone else. I want her, and I will get her with time.

Her eyes fluttered open to meet his and she smiled tiredly, “You been up the whole time?” She lifted her body up, by now knowing the drill even in her state of extreme fatigue. She grabbed her head flinching, a small whimper leaving her lips before she reached for the water to take a sip.

“Yeah,” he whispered. “I’m going to wake you up again at six, then I’ll go to sleep.”

She set the water on the bedside table, lying back down, “Are you sure?”

“Yeah,” he smiled, pushing her hair behind her ear. Her eyes fluttered, and she moved into his touch. He retreated after touching her cheek briefly.

“You have pretty eyes,” she said looking into them. “The nicest set I’ve ever seen.”

“They’re brown,” he laughed quietly, secretly flattered. “If anyone has pretty eyes, it’s you.”

She blushed and mumbled, “My eyes are blue. They’re cold like winter. Like ice. Yours are brown, and in the sunlight, they’re like molten honey. Right sweet like it, too. They have a little bit of green in them too, and it only comes out sometimes. It’s like grass and dirt, warm like summer...”

It was his turn to blush, but Alesse didn’t catch him, because she started to doze after her small ramble. He gained back his composer quickly, whispering, “Goodnight Alesse.”

Somewhere between waiting for 6 to come, he dozed off on top of the covers.

Alesse awoke when the light hit her face. She stood, head pounding and closed the blinds. She made her way back to the bed and crawled in, only to come face to face with prince charming. She was only startled for a second before her memory caught back up on her. She turned to the clock which read 9:02. She was good for time.

She rolled out of bed. Heading towards her suitcase, she pulled out a pair of track pants. Tugging them on she rolled her socks on over them and slipped into her moccasins. Turning from the bed she stripped off the sweater-- his sweater, she remembered, and put on a new bra and a blue zip up hoodie.

Sparing Sidney a quick look she was sent into a blushing frenzy. She hadn’t spent more than a second judging his attire, but he was lying with on leg bent in his boxers. He still had his shirt on, but what had caught her off guard was his morning wood. She covered her eyes as her insides twisted awkwardly. “Alesse,” she said, inwardly scolding herself. “It’s just a penis. Calm. Down.” But that was just it. It was a penis. And not just any old willy for Christ sakes. Sidney fucking Crosby’s. She breathed out a sharp breath before pushing the thoughts aside. She was being a school girl. Guys got morning wood. Sidney did, Orlando Bloom, Johnny Depp, Marc did. Ew, she thought briefly. Morning wood or any wood at all was not a big deal. Sex organs weren’t something to freak out about.

She strode towards the cabinet to pull out a soft blanket before throwing it over Sidney’s body. Then she left for the lobby.

When Sidney awoke, he groaned. He smelt food and felt a hand on his back. He has managed to roll on his stomach at some point and noted a warm blanket on him. The hand on his back was rubbing methodically. “Fuck,” he said, groaning again. “It’s my birthday isn’t it?”

He heard Alesse’s small laugh, as she climbed onto his back and used both hands to knead his muscles, “No, this is a thank-you. Designed specifically for guys, it invovles a massage, McDonalds, and coffee.” He groaned under talented hands and managed not to hump the mattress with her weight pushing his pelvis into it. But damn he had to use all his will power not to, because she was amazing at this. She stayed on his back rubbing for God knows how long, but Sidney was lost in it. When she finally stopped he felt like jelly. He buried his head into the pillow.

“Sleep again,” he moaned out like a child. As she got off him.

“Breakfast, then signing out and flying home,” she said, mocking him. He shot up and looked at the clock. 12:30. He relaxed. They had two hours before they had to be on the plane. Alesse smiled and handed him a take out bag. “Eat up, shower, do what you need to do, and we’ll head out.”

He nodded and she added, “I hope you don’t mind, I got your key card from your jeans and brought your bag here, I thought it would save time.”

Stopping mid open bag, he smiled gratefully, “I don’t mind at all, Alesse.”

The rest of the day went by in a blur. The check out, the drive to the airport, the flight home. Before Sidney knew it, they were walking out the terminal at 7 and out into the Nova Scotian air. It was snowing lightly, when they were standing outside wait for their cabs.

“Do you think you’re going to be okay?” Sidney asked, finally showing his worry. The bruise on her cheek was muted by makeup, but there none the less.

“Sid,” she smiled. “The headache was gone after I woke up. I’m fine. The cab will drive me to Dartmouth, and I will get my car and be off.”

He shifted, “You sure you’re going to be able to drive for two hours?”

“Yes,” her smile grew.

“You can stay at my house you know, I have more than enough empty rooms.” He was sounding hopeful, and he knew it. But he didn’t think he could wait until after the holidays to see her again, not after the progress of last night.

“Sidney Crosby, inviting me to his house for a sleepover,” she said thoughtfully, smirking at him. “Jesus I wish I could.”

He smiled, “Then come.”

She shook her head, laughing, “Doesn’t matter if you’re Sidney Crosby or God, my mom will kick your ass for keeping me away from home.” It didn’t occur to him she was going to her parents house tonight. He should have guessed. He knew she lived with her parents, she was only 19. And she wasn’t in university, she didn’t have a need for another home when she was in hotels all the time. Although feeling rejected, he didn’t, because he knew how important her family was.

“Wouldn’t want to upset Mrs. Farro, would I?” he smiled as a cab pulled into view.

“Not if you want to keep your pride,” she said jokingly. She shifted, looking towards the cab as another pulled up behind it.

“So,” he said, picking up his bag awkwardly.

“Listen,” she said looking up at him. “I really mean it when I say thank you. You saved Marc missing his flight and went overboard taking care of me.”

Sidney lost himself in those ever blue eyes. He broke the contact a couple seconds later after he realized he was staring. He rubbed his neck and whispered bashfully “It was nothing--”

“It wasn't nothing,” she interrupted him. The next thing he knew she was hugging him. But before he could react she was gone. Heading towards the taxi. “I’ll see you soon?”

He nodded, “Call soon.”

“Learn to text,” she said jokingly, then agreed. She opened the cab door and got in with her bag, she turned his way and smiled that small, but dashing smile. “See you soon, Sid.”

He felt his heart clench, but he smiled none the less, she was too cute not to, “See you Alesse."