Jealous Minds Think Alike

First love's the hardest

I just felt my heart tear into a million pieces.

Yes, it was worse than getting bitten by a shark and much more traumatizing than getting an F in English. It was worse than that. It was the apocalypse of the whole world. My world.

Stephen Gomez had just announced his crush to the whole world. Actually, the whole student body and I was there.

There was no hesitation in his voice. He was confident when he announced it into the microphone. His eyes didn't flicker once and his hands didn't dare shake. He was looking right into her eyes when he said it. The eyes of Karen Fisher. The eyes that was supposed to be looking at me, Jaycee Wood. But no, it wasn't me he had a crush on. It was Karen Fisher.

“Karen,” Stephen looked at her once more. “I've always liked you, since I saw you in Calculus.” Applause exploded after, along with whoops and cheers.

I didn't want to hear her answer, so I just turned away. Correction, I ran away with my hands clamped down my ears. Tears streamed down my face as I ran into the girl's bathroom. Why was I kidding myself?

Stephen was a senior and I was a mere sophomore.

I was average. I was emotionally fragile. I was just another Mary Sue in a love story. I was nothing special. I was a hopeless romantic. I felt lonely. I fell for guys too fast. Who was I kidding when I thought Stephen Gomez had a crush on me? He was showing all the signs, wasn't he?

I wiped away the remaining tears and headed to my creative writing class.

“Thank you Ms. Wood for finally joining us. Class had started 15 minutes ago.” Mrs. Swan said flatly, scribbling something on her chalkboard. She was probably listing down a grade for being tardy.

“You look awful,” The boy next to me whispered. “You all right?”

I didn't bother to look at him. I just grunted in reply and sank in my seat. He stared at me for a couple of seconds and turns away, disappointed.

“Today your assignment is to write about a recent drama you experienced,” Mrs. Swan smiled. “Don't worry, you won't share this with the rest of the class. You may change the names of the actual people in your story if you choose to. The person to your right will be your partner. You shall give criticism for your story.”

“Guess what?” The boy who had just spoken me with me, a few minutes ago, grinned. “We're partners. Isn't that great?”

“I don't really care.” I shrug and turn away from him.

I open my binder and rip out a piece of paper. I pick up my lucky pencil and hold tightly. I could feel the grip pressed tightly against my slender fingers. I began to scribble my very thoughts on the paper. I ignore the world around him and let all my feelings bleed on my paper. I smile when I wrote down the happy memories that we experienced. Tears well up when I think about Stephen and Karen. I finish and run a hand across the paper, satisfied.

“You done?” The boy next to me peers at my finished paper, then flickered his eyes to me. I nod. “Good.” With one swift motion, he snatches the paper from my hands and replaces it with his.

I look at the boy. His dark brown hair was in messy locks. A beanie was topped on his head. He wore the strangest sun glasses. They had no shades. He had the same chocolate brown eyes that Stephen had. In fact, this boy resemebed Stephen Gomez.

He smiles and reads my paper. I study his eyes as he scans my paper. His eyes flickered in the same rhymthic motion. Left then right, blink. Left then right, blink. He frowns and sets down the paper. I hold my breath, prepared for the criticism.

“What's wrong with it?”

“Everything.”

“Everything?” I repeat, in disbelief. Mrs. Swan told us to give constructive criticism on our peer's stories. She also told us that we need to be able to accept criticism. However, this boy's criticism wasn't exactly constructive.

“You mope too much.” He concluded, staring at me.

“Excuse me?”

“Your paper is driving me crazy,” He hissed, grabbing my shoulders. “This boy Stephen obviously got over his crush on you. And after he announces his crush, you get all depressed and bawl your eyes out in the girls bathroom. C'mon, that's pathetic!”

Suddenly, there is silence in the classroom. Everyone stares in our direction. Panicked, I looked at the boy.

“Please talk softly.” Mrs. Swan comments, strolling by our desk.

“Hear that?” I hiss. “Talk softer idiot!”

“Idiot?” He scoffs. “I'm not the idiot. You are. You fell for the wrong person and karma comes back for you. That's completely idiotic. What's more idiotic is that all your doing is moping about it. You sit in the bathroom and cry. That's not going to solve your problems, isn't it?”

“You talk like you've been in love and had your heartbroken before.”

He gives me a sad smile and motions his head towards his paper. The one I held in my very hands. I look down and feel the emotion raidiating from it.

“Look, there are other fish in the sea. I suggest you get over it now or you'll be haunted forever.” He chuckles.

Then the bell rings.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments in exchange for the next chapter? :)