Jealous Minds Think Alike

You can't forget the monsters in your bed

Jess Bowen:

“I told you Brian! But no! You didn't listen to one thing I said!” I was nearly shaking with rage as I snapped at Brian over the phone.

“Well, I didn't know that they would hate each other that much....” He replied, sheepishly.

“You know the things that John told me afterward? They yelled at each other and were nearly fired from their job! Tell me how you're going to fix that!”

“Relax Jess, don't get a panic attack. I'm sure they'll stop fighting and settle their differences soon. I mean after all, they are officially dating.” I swear that Brian winked on the other end.

“Listen, if you don't do something, then I swear - “

“Jess!” Mrs. Kamady glared at me from her desk and slammed the book that she was reading, with a loud shut. “You may be a library assistant here, but you have no right to use a cellphone in here, much less yell at the caller. Now, hang up or go outside.”

“You got in trouble!” Brian sang.

“Shut up!” I hissed, earning another glare. “Look, I gotta go. You better do something about the couple, Dales.”

“I'll try the best I can.” He sighed.

I hung up the phone and shoved in my back pocket. Who knew that John and Jaycee wouldn't get along? I managed the pile of books and made my way to the shelves, putting each book in the correct slot. I mean....how long would it be, until the two killed each other? I was close to getting lost in my thoughts, when somebody's voice rang inside my head.

Or at least that's what I thought.

“Jess!” I turned around and nearly dropped the load of books.

It was none other than Stephen Gomez.

“What are you doing here, Stephen?” I had to conceal my excitement inside of me. I knew that I should be mad at Stephen. Everyone was.

“Before I explain, let me help you with those.” He took half of the stack and set them on the table and I followed. We both took a seat and said nothing to each other. Finally, Stephen opened his mouth.

“I haven't seen you in a while,” he commented. “I mean it's literally been....a while.”

“I thought you said that you didn't have time for us anymore,” I spat. “Isn't that girlfriend of yours keeping you busy?”

“I apologize. Blame Karen,” He rolled his eyes. “She's a piece of work.”

“She wasn't what you expected, huh?”

He nodded in agreement and gave me a smile. I flinched. “It feels so awesome to be talking to one of my best friends, again.”

“I guess I can forgive you,” I mumbled, giving in. “But, I'm pretty sure the rest of the group is pretty ticked. I mean, you haven't showed up at practices or anything. That's the reason why we don't have them anymore.”

“I guess I don't blame them. I barely see anyone anymore.”

“Not even John?” He shook his head again and I gasped. “What kind of brother are you?”

“Not a very good one,” he admitted, shrugging his shoulders. “That's also why I'm here.”

“What are you talking about?”

“John. Yesterday I saw him with....this girl.”

He must be talking about Jaycee.... I thought.

“Let me guess, you saw them strangling each other, right?”

“What?” His face was full of confusion. “No. Where did you get that idea from?”

“Then what happened?” I heard the amused tone in my voice as I leaned in closer.

“The girl was being held back by a rapist,” My eyes widened. He noticed. “Don't worry!” He responded quickly. “Before he could do anything, my brother came along. He....threw a baseball at him and managed to knock him out.”

“A baseball?” I repeated in dismay, raising an eyebrow. “Seriously, what's go on through that boy's head?” I chuckled.

“Anyways, they were talking, but I couldn't hear what they were saying. Afterwards, he held out his hand and she took his. Then they began hugging and he started to spin her around.”

“Really?” I blinked. “That's a real improvement.”

“Huh?”

“Go on. Continue.” I waved my hand.

“I followed them around for a while, then left.”

“You're such a stalker, Stephen.”

“Hey! I was curious!” He protested.

“Anyway, why did you tell me this?”

“Because I want to know who that girl is.”

“Why?” I snickered. “Jealous?”

“Not yet,” he joked. “On a serious note, I wanna know, because she seems so familiar.”

“That's all? Then why don't you ask John?”

“Remember what you said? He's mad at me.”

“So, you thought I would be nice enough to give you the answer?”

“You're talking to me right now, plus you said you forgave me!”

“I know you're in for a bigger reason, Stephen.” I said slowly.

“I'm not,” He held up one hand. “I swear.”

“Fine, I'll tell you. But I'm warning you,” I shook a finger at him. “If you interfere in John's relationship again, then he's officially cutting all ties with you.”

“It won't happen again,” He replied quietly. “I promise.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys! Sorry I'm updating this late. I gotta update all the chapters from my quizilla. And I assure you I'm not finish with the story. I just have a little trouble with the transition of the story. Hope you understand! :)