Jealous Minds Think Alike

She loves me

-Jaycee's Point of view-

How did I, Jaycee Wood, get so lucky? Here I was, standing in a blue and white stripped long sleeve jacket, black skinny jeans, and a pair of my favorite boots, waiting for the guy of my dreams to arrive. I even clipped a blue bow on the side of my head to keep myself from looking plain. The plaza was crowded, but I knew I could spot Stephen from a mile away. I sat on a chair at an empty table and stared at my hand.

Stephen took this hand. He took this hand and wrote his phone number on it.

How come I could never feel this way when I was with John? How come my heart only reacts to Stephen? All I knew was that John was going to be wrong. I'm sorry, I can't fall in love with you. Because I might just be in love with.....

“Jaycee!” I looked up above the crowd and saw Stephen's familiar dark hair. I felt myself smiling immediately as he jogged towards me. “I'm so sorry! Did you wait long?”

“No I didn't.....erm....in fact, I just got here.” I lied, taking one long look at Stephen.

He wore a navy blue and black cardigan over a white shirt, a gray beanie, black jeans, and a pair of converse. I giggled and pulled at his sleeve.

“Are you wearing a cardigan?”

“There's nothing wrong with that!” He snapped in embarrassment.

It was hard trying to contain a smile. “It's just that I've never seen you wear one before.”

“Do you hate it?”

“No. It may be....different.....but I like it.”

“Thanks,” He gave a nervous laugh. “Because I'd feel very bad if I showed up in something you wouldn't want a guy to wear. Period.”

“I'd probably think that anything you wear would look good on you.”

“Even a skirt?”

“Except that.” We both laughed and the moment felt absolutely perfect.

“Why don't we just sit here and resume our conversation?” Stephen suggested, preparing to take a seat.

“Not so fast!” I said, grabbing his hand and jerking him forward before he could even sit down. “We are gonna sit here and talk!”

“What?” he laughed. “Why not?”

“Because how could we have a nice chat with a dozen people around us?” I pulled him harder as I began searching for that place.

“Fine, but can you at least tell me where we're going?”

“Hold on one second,” I murmured, scanning the shops around us. “Ah! Found it!”

“An ice cream place?” He questioned.

“Wrong! It's Ben and Jerry's! You idiot!” I giggled. “My favorite ice cream place!”

“You have a sweet tooth at 9 in the morning?”

“Is there anything wrong with that?”

“No ma'am. Let's proceed!” We locked arms and marched into Ben and Jerry's like soldiers. He opened the door and a blast of air conditioning whipped our faces.

“Holy shit!” Stephen jumped. “That's cold.”

“You're wearing a cardigan, why would you be cold all of a sudden?”

“Excuse me, did I just see a shiver go down your spine, Miss I'm wearing a jacket?”

“Touche.” I chuckled. “Now, let's order something.”

I ordered Boston Cream Pie and Stephen just ordered Chocolate chip cookie dough.

“That's okay,” I told Stephen, who was pulling out his wallet. “I'll pay for it.”

“Oh no,” He pushed my wallet away. “I'm the guy right? I should pay for it. Besides, I was the one who gave you my phone number, so we could hang out!”

“But I'm the one who called you!”

“If you don't let me pay, I'll never speak to you again.”

I gasped. “You're bluffing!”

“Am I?”

“Awww, how cute!” The cashier grinned. “A lover's quarrel! Look Frank, look at this cute couple fighting about who should pay for the ice cream!”

“Joanne, do your job and tell them to stop fighting over the stupid pay and just pay! We've got a whole line of people waiting!” Frank yelled back.

“Oh, you're such a party pooper!” Joanne yelled back. “It's no wonder you don't have a girlfriend yet!”

“Look who's talking, single pants!”

Joanne rolled her eyes and placed her cheek against her hand. “Ignore him. He's just grumpy because he doesn't have a woman who loves him.” Stephen and I gave her an awkward smile. “So, are you two a couple? Because you two are just so cute together!”

“Couple?” I laughed nervously. “You got it wrong! We're not a couple!”

“Awww, that's a shame.”

“Why? Do we really look like that?”

“Well,” She chuckled. “If you keep fighting like that, then yeah. Everyone will think you guys are a couple.” She turned to Stephen. “Thank you sir, here's your change.” My jaw dropped.

“You-You- “ I couldn't speak. Stephen gave me a sly smile.

“I win.” he whispered.

“No fair!” I frowned. “You paid when I wasn't paying attention!”

“Which was your mistake!” he sang. “Thanks Joanne for distracting her for me.”

“No problem.”

“You were in on this?” I frowned.

“Hey! He offered. A woman should just embrace it.” She waved me away. “Now shoo, I've got some customers waiting and your boyfrien- I mean friend is waiting for you.”

“Thanks,” I headed over to the table where Stephen was at and we dug into our ice creams.

“What exactly is Boston Cream Pie?” Stephen wondered out loud. “Sounds like some sex term.”

I nearly dropped my spoon. “You're sick!” I laughed. “It's the new flavor I've always wanted to try.”

“Can I have a taste?” Stephen asked, sticking his lower lip out.

“Are you begging?” I asked, with an amused smile. “Like a little puppy dog?”

“Maybe.....”

“Well....I can't resist puppies.” I patted his head and stuck the ice cream filled spoon in his mouth. He took the spoon and swallowed the ice cream. He smacked his lips. “Tasty. What's in it?”

“You've never had Boston Cream Pie before?”

“I thought you said it was a new flavor.”

“Yeah, but they serve in cakes and stuff. Uhm...there's yellow cake pieces, fudge flakes, and swirls of pastry cream.”

“Aw. It makes me regret getting plain old cookie dough.”

“Don't neglect the cookie dough!” I scolded, holding his ice cream to his face. I cleared my throat and made a deep voice. “Hey Stephen! I'm tasty! I'm original! I want to be in your stomach! Nom! Nom! Nom!” Stephen laughed in response and took his ice cream back.

“You're so funny Jaycee. I think I might like you better than my girlfriend.”

“What?” I nearly spit out my ice cream.

“It's the truth. My girlfriend, Karen is....” He shuddered. “I think I'm gonna break up with her soon.”

“You're not gonna break up with her for me, are you?” My heart thudded loudly in my chest.

“What? No! You're dating someone right?”

“What if....I wasn't dating anyone?” I bit my lip. “Would you ever ask me out?”

He took one look at me and smiled shyly. “Honestly, maybe. If I say what's on my mind, it'd make you....I....we...feel pretty awkward. I'd consider the possibility though.”

“Oh. Well...thank you.” I popped my spoon in my mouth and looked down into the swirls of my ice cream. Although it was freezing in here, I felt my cheeks heat up. Without warning, I shivered. Stephen, Mr. Sharp eyes, noticed.

“You just shivered.” He pointed out.

“I was wrong. It is cold.” I wasn't sure whether it was cold or the fact that Stephen would consider the possibility of dating me sent me shivers.

“Well here...”My eyes widened as he pulled off his cardigan and draped it over me, leaving Stephen in only his white t-shirt and jeans.

“Are you crazy?” I pulled off the cardigan and shoved it in his arms. “It's like a million negative degrees here! You'll get a frost bite, just wearing a t-shirt! Besides, I have a jacket!”

“No,” He rubbed his hands near his elbows. “You need it more than I do.” He shoved the cardigan back in my hands. “Now put it on.”

“B-But-!”

“Jaycee....” he warned. I sighed and slipped the cardigan around me, feeling very warm. But, of course, I had felt miserable because Stephen was now going to suffer in the cold. I stood from my seat, nearly startling him.

“What are you doing?” he hissed.

“I'm gonna tell Joanne to turn down the thermostat, so you don't freeze to death.”

“No wait!” Stephen grabbed my hand before I could take another step forward. His hand was a deathly cold and I turned to him, to see him shaking a little. “No....it's okay. You don't need to do that for me.”

“Stephen. Stop being stubborn. I can't bear to watch you shiver while I'm wearing - “

“No.” He said firmly. “I'll suffer for you.”

Now, I was speechless. Why was Stephen acting so nice to me? I'm the one who likes him. I should be the one who -

My eyes began to well up with tears of.....happiness? Sadnes? Who knows that.

“Jaycee? Are you all right?”

“Yeah....I'm fine.”

Oh, if I wasn't dating John, I'd go after Stephen definitely. This boy was just the one I needed.
♠ ♠ ♠
haha, I love this chapter :)
Thanks for all the lovely feedback! <3