Jealous Minds Think Alike

There's no need to complicate it

-Jaycee's Point of View-
John and Stephen were like two cobras staring each other down, each with a similar sense of discomfort in their eyes. John's eyes though wasn't mild like Stephen's, but full of venom. I held my breath, prepared for the worst.

Was a fight going to break out?

I then realized I was wrong when John suddenly turned and grabbed my hand, running and leading me as far away from Stephen as possible. This made me angry so I jerked my arm away.

“What the hell do you think you're doing?” I demanded.

“Saving your butt.” John replied, not looking at me in the eye.

“Huh?” John didn't reply. Instead, he looked at the ground furrowing his eyebrows and kicking it the grass in frustration.

“Argh! That bastard! How dare he! After he - “

“Excuse me?” I interrupted. “What did you just call Stephen?”

“Look Jaycee, you don't know him. He's - “

“Oh? Like you know him better!” I replied angrily. “Says someone who's his flesh and blood and hates his guts!”

“I have every reason to hate him.”

“Oh yeah? Would you care to tell me about it?”

“Yeah! First of all, Stephen - “ Then he stopped again in utter silence. Seeing John so quiet and serious...it wasn't like him at all.

“What?” I scoffed. “Did you just suddenly forget your reason or do you remember that you don't have any?”

“Argh!!” John groaned loudly, ignoring my insult. “Why did it have to be that Stephen!? Why him!?”

“I get it now....you're jealous!” John's mouth nearly dropped.

“What the - ? Me? Jealous? Of that douche bag? That's fucking insane!” He took a step forward and looked me straight in the eye. “I am not jealous of a guy or any guy like him! He was the one jealous of me!”

“What? Jealous of somebody like you? A guy whose hair messy curls are never combed? A guy who wears the most ridiculous glasses everyday? A guy who's loud!?”

“Thanks a lot Jaycee for all of the lovely comments! You've just brought up my spirits!” He cried sarcastically. “Why don't you just dump me for pretty boy, Stephen!?”

“Trust me, I would've a long time ago if it weren't for this stupid contract!”

“Geez Jaycee! You're so immature! You and Stephen.....are perfect for each other!”

We didn't say anything else. None of us left but we stayed as far away from each other. John leaned against the tree. I was seated on the grass, covering my hands with my face.

Dear lord, what is this boy so worked up about!? What's his problem anyway?

We sat in silence for a whole ten minutes, until I could feel John towering over me.

“Wadayya want?”

“To apologize.”

“Who says I need an apology?”

“I do.” I could feel him take a seat next to me.

I removed my hands away from my face and turned to him. “Okay, go.”

“Look, I have perfect legitimate reasons for hating my own brother. You should listen to me and stay away from him, please. I'm begging you.”

I eyed him suspiciously. “Why?”

John took my hand and I felt a certain sense of warmth again. “The thing you should know about Stephen is long ago, he - “

“John!”

“What now!?” I cried, annoyed at the fact that John was constantly getting interrupted.

“John!” I spotted Jess running towards us with a hug smile. “I have good news!”

“What?”

“Mary! She's coming back here! For a vacation! She's coming here right now!”

“No way!” John dropped my hand and jumped to his feet. “Seriously!?”

“Mary?” I frowned, suddenly feeling left out. “Who's that?”

“An old friend of mine.” He grinned. But by the way he said it didn't sound like “just an old friend.” It was a tone of great joy.

“Trust me Jaycee. You'll love her.” Jess said. “She's really nice.”

“That's good to know....” I looked at John's eyes and my lips froze.

John's eyes was full of happiness. Pure....happiness.... And a smile so big. A smile that wasn't so big whenever I was with him. I felt that twisted feeling in my stomach and my chest. A familiar feeling I had met a dozen times.

It was my old enemy....jealously.