Jealous Minds Think Alike

Just a memory I'm chasing

"What happened? Jaycee? Jaycee." John touched my shoulder.

I scowled and spun around, slapping his hand away. "Shut up! Just shut up okay!? You are so freakin' annoying! Can't you see I'm trying to think!?"

John did a double take and gave me a hurt look.

"I-I'm sorry." I quickly apologized. "Those girls just pissed me off just now and I'm just in a terrible mood right now and-and - Dammit! They just ruined my fucking day, those stupid bitches!" I was in a complete rage, enough for people to give me strange looks as they walked past me.

"Why? Why did they do? Say?"

"Never mind already. It's none of your concern anyway." I mumbled, walking away to clear my head.

So this is what happens when life fucks you up.

In this situation, I was completely helpless. Hopeless. Every thing I thought of doing was too risky. I needed help, but who could I explain my situation to? The gang? They were already upset with me for having a crush on Stephen.

Then I spotted her. The blonde that stood out. Mary.

"No.No.No." I murmured to myself. "I will not resort to asking that witch. No. No. No." I was starting to get even more frustrated than I already was. "Argh! Fine! I'll ask her! Jeez!" A few students stopped and stared at the girl who was yelling to herself.

Reluctantly, I went over to Mary who was sitting on a bench, talking to a boy.

"Sorry." She said. "Not interested." The boy's look of confusion then turned to being crushed.

"But - "

"For one, I don't know you. Two, I don't live here. I'm sorry." The boy shook his head and quickly walked away, probably hanging his head in embarrassment.

"Uh....Mary?" I bit my tongue to restrain myself from insulting her.

"Hey Jaycee. What's up?" Then she raised an eyebrow. "Wait....you never seem to want to talk to me, until now."

"This is an emergency."

Mary frowned. "Are you sure I'm the right person you should tell?"

"Yes! Yes! Now listen!" I leaned over and whispered. "I'm being blackmailed."

"By who?"

"Umm.....fan girls."

"Fan Girls? Jaycee, I don't understand part of this so far."

"Look, this isn't funny."

"Do you see me laughing?"

"No!" I let out a groan. "Just help please! Or I'll be screwed eternally!"

"Hun, if you want me to help then you're going to have to start all over again and tell me EXACTLY what happened. I can't help you if you're freaking out in front of me."

"Remember the guy I told you that I.....liked?"

"You never told me his name, but sure."

"Well, a couple of his admirers found out and now they want to destroy me."

"Lemme guess. They think you're a threat right?"

"I don't know! But if I don't do something, their gonna tell John that I'm cheating on him and how I wanna break up with him for the other guy! They heard us talking Mary! They fucking eavesdropped on our conversation in the bathroom!"

"Calm down Jaycee." She replied. "Now, what exactly do they want?"

"I have no fucking idea! They just went off saying you better do everything we say or we'll be a big snitch! They're like practically sending me death threats!"

"And you don't know their names?"

"No!" I started pacing around. "They wanna fight me, I know it. They're gonna go up to me one day and break my jaw. And everyone who doesn't have the guts to help me are just gonna stand there and watch!"

"Look Jaycee, I'm not a fighter but if those girls lay one finger on you, I'll be there to defend you. Even if it means...." She cringed a little. "I have to break their jaw too.

"Yeah right." I scoffed. "Like you can throw a good punch?"

"I can try." She shrugged.

"Well, trying's not good enough." I dug my nails into my cheeks. "And I can't afford to tell John either.

"Hey." Mary spoke slowly. "Why do you even care that they tell John you're "supposedly" cheating on him?" I stared at her.

"Are you kidding me?"

"You're the one who said that you would possibly break up John with this other guy."

"And?"

"This is what exactly what the girls want to do. Get John to break up with you. Don't you want that? I know I told you to give John a chance, but knowing your mind.....wouldn't you just let them tell John instead of doing it yourself?"

"Mary, I don't decide things THAT quickly." I shook my head and gave her a little smile. "Its just that I don't want to lose John."

"Hm?" She seemed amused by this.

"Look, it might be really weird of me to say this but.....I don't want John out of my life. I know, I know. Make fun of me. But, despite all what I say, you know when I'm telling him he's an idiot and he's one of the most irritating people I know, but he actually makes me happy. Yeah, sure, he gets on my nerves sometimes, but I've never met anyone like him. He's one of a kind. And if I can't have him in my life, then my life would be as boring before I met him."

"Wow. Is this how you really feel?"

"Yeah. If I ever do break up with him for the other guy, then I would like to be friends. Or he could be an older brother." I grinned.

Mary just smiled and nodded her head. "So, what are you going to do about your situation? Spill to the gang? Stephen?"

"I can't. They don't want to talk to me," I sighed. "And Stephen will only make it....worse."

"Worse? How?"

I quickly looked away. "Nothing. Never mind."

"Stephen's got something to do with this....does he?" My face turned a bright red. "Oh no...." She said slowly. "Don't tell me....Stephen is the guy you.....like?"

".......yeah. He is."

Mary was dead silent. After a long awkward moment, she stood up and started to walk away.

"Hey! Hey! I grabbed her arm. "Where are you going!?"

"Um.....Uh....I need to think."

"Huh? I thought you were helping me!"

"I don't want to get involved anymore."

"What are you talking about? This doesn't involve you! It involves me remember!?"

"I meant the past!" She snapped. I stepped back. Her tone was completely alien to me.

"What happened in the past?"

"Nothing."

"You can't just tell me nothing after making that big scene! Don't tell me that you too have this big grudge on Stephen and can't tell me why?"

"No. Just on myself."

"Hello?? Still lost her.""

"Look....whatever is happening now was because of me. It's all my fault."

"But you weren't - !"

"This obviously happened way before you met The Summer Set."

"You still haven't told me what happened yet!"

"I'm sorry. I'm too stressed now to explain the details." She jogged away.

"Wait! Can you at least give me a hint? Mary, where are you - EEEK!" Just when I was on her heels, somebody grabbed my backpack and pulled me harshly into the nearby bathroom.